The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

43 minutes ago, kevbizarre said:

Just been outside in a t-shirt. Nice sun but the wind is cold! Going straight through me. Going to get an extra layer involved for daytime 

Always knew The Midlands was part of The South 😉

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

2005 - bottom of Pennards Friday and Sunday. You can see the high water marks on the tents 😂

2005 friday.jpg

2005 sun.jpg

Worth pointing out that it wasn't natural drainage, the fire brigade brought in pumps to help clear it, there were parts of the site dry by Sunday but still some sticky patches, there are always some covered or low lying areas that don't get the sun or are harder to drain. None of this is relevant this year though, it's going to be great!

I've been looking back through historical weather data and 2014 looks like it might be a worst case scenario for us (although I think the rain started earlier than its due to this year).  There also appeared to be little rainfall in the build-up, like this year, meaning the ground was dry.   Anyone confirm/deny this?  Thoughts? Feelings? Should I fuck off?

59 minutes ago, SpencerF said:

Met Office doubling down, now saying no rain on Saturday with likelihood of rain on Sunday dwindling... image.thumb.png.2d77a4a8183321de4f3686397338b49b.png

Met Office updated yet again, showing probability of precipitation to be even less likely now. What do they know that we don't? HARD stick. image.thumb.png.7184bbe9358bf496fa5bd5bc2fe53fdb.png

2016, being towed -in- to the site because of the mud:

image.thumb.png.fee9a9c02218dd0505c5c4026945c7e6.png

the ground was still sittable in places though:

image.thumb.png.37b42049265d505fc70292604a736798.png

the better drasinage just meant it was the slippery stuff not the deep sticky stuff

image.thumb.png.17a1afda3f84672158b7bed3adb7743a.png

and it stayed dry enough for me to have a push about on the skate ramp 🙂

image.thumb.png.59db7745e84220600da3ff9c70cb0de6.png

2 minutes ago, pedmills said:

I'm pretty certain the rain started lightly on Thursday night, and then there was a heavy downpour at something like 5am Friday morning. 

We're looking at an extra 24 hours of dry this year. (Plus much less volume of rain at the weekend than 2007 I'm hoping!)

I remember the Wednesday night being fine (or not too bad) but just remember it being constant rain after that up to and including Monday morning.

It was my first Glastonbury but still went back the following year (and more!).

2 minutes ago, pedmills said:

I'm pretty certain the rain started lightly on Thursday night, and then there was a heavy downpour at something like 5am Friday morning. 

We're looking at an extra 24 hours of dry this year. (Plus much less volume of rain at the weekend than 2007 I'm hoping!)

You might be right....what I can distinctly remember was a friend of mine wanted to go and see Reverend and the Makers, The Cribs and Modest Mouse on the Other Stage and me and about three others went along as we were going to grab some food and a beer at the same time and as we got there the heavens opened and it absolutely chucked it down and didn't stop until (I think) I went to see Kasabian on the Pyramid at about 7-8pm.

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

You might be right....what I can distinctly remember was a friend of mine wanted to go and see Reverend and the Makers, The Cribs and Modest Mouse on the Other Stage and me and about three others went along as we were going to grab some food and a beer at the same time and as we got there the heavens opened and it absolutely chucked it down and didn't stop until (I think) I went to see Kasabian on the Pyramid at about 7-8pm.

Wednesday was glorious though a bit breezy, it started to rain about 4am Thursday morning and Thursday itself was pretty grey with showers aplenty. There were a few breaks, Friday and Saturday evenings mainly, though it did just seem to rain and rain throughout

New Netweather update: https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/11506-glastonbury-weather---a-tale-of-two-halves---update-4

Good news: seems to downplay showers being much of an issue Friday - Sunday

Bad news: suddenly chat about thunderstorms and heavy showers Thursday night / Friday (suggests likely to be in East, but still)

"The main area of uncertainty is around the showers and potential thunderstorms on Friday, perhaps evening Thursday evening. There are lots of areas of input in this picture. Homegrown showers, even storms in the heat ahead of the front. Imported showers from the south and embedded thundery downpours along the front. There is a leaning towards the southeast and east of Britain for most of the heavy showers so some hope that it will just be the odd shower for Glastonbury rather than a succession of hefty downpours. That would keep the risk of Mudfest conditions down and power outages."

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch

8 minutes ago, andymk said:

Wednesday was glorious though a bit breezy, it started to rain about 4am Thursday morning and Thursday itself was pretty grey with showers aplenty. There were a few breaks, Friday and Saturday evenings mainly, though it did just seem to rain and rain throughout

I can't recall that at all....I'm fairly sure it didn't tip it down on the Thursday.

2 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

This was recorded earlier this morning  or even yesterday. Their own forecast has totally changed since this.

I think Friday was never looking like this on their website. Not even yesterday. Or at least that I can remember.

Edited by AlexOvd

Looks like you lucky fuckers are basically getting the perfect week for it weather wise.

Dry and hot leading up to the festival, with some cooler respite for the Saturday and Sunday which are the hardest days.

Rain on Friday night won't be a huge issue as it'll be dry by Saturday afternoon.

• Upvote 1