The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, gaiters are the ultimate answer to wellies, I agree.  But if you can't be arsed with them (I can't), then wellies are better.  By my reckoning, if it's wet enough for wellies, it's not sticky enough for boots.

Boots comfier though...

1 minute ago, scrippit said:

Pretty average weather for Glastonbury. No idea what all the fuss is about.

Nal taking the piss/winding everybody up like every year and everybody falling for it and going in to a blind panic, like every year, basically. 

Also don’t think most people are being entirely serious - just equal parts funny and ridiculous to follow weather forecasts so religiously and cheer or scream at any tiny change. A yearly tradition.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Boots comfier though...

Yeah, probably. I had a bad experience with buying gaiters from a stall in 2004 while somewhat worse for wear.  There was a fold in them that I didn't feel and I ended up getting crutches from the medical tent the next day.  And yes, I know the moral of this isn't gaiters bad, but it still put me off.

Anyway, we're defs in normal boot territory this year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nal taking the piss/winding everybody up like every year and everybody falling for it and going in to a blind panic, like every year, basically. 

Also don’t think most people are being entirely serious - just equal parts funny and ridiculous to follow weather forecasts so religiously and cheer or scream at any tiny change. A yearly tradition.

Not everyone is in this thread every year, so a *lot* of people aren't in on the joke.

It's very hard to detect the sarcasm in a thread that is also filled with everyone and their mate offering something of an expert (ish) opinion. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Is there an officlal worst year weather wise at Glastonbury? Last one I went to was 2011...and I didn't go in 2007...so I haven't experienced some recent bad ones...but I did go in 97/98...so for me 97 was the worst with 98 a close second (but I left early for that one).

07 was the wettest

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Is there an officlal worst year weather wise at Glastonbury? Last one I went to was 2011...and I didn't go in 2007...so I haven't experienced some recent bad ones...but I did go in 97/98...so for me 97 was the worst with 98 a close second (but I left early for that one).

2016 was pretty horrid just from the mud 

1 minute ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

Not everyone is in this thread every year, so a *lot* of people aren't in on the joke.

It's very hard to detect the sarcasm in a thread that is also filled with everyone and their mate offering something of an expert (ish) opinion. 

Which makes it all the more hilarious. Some people clearly don’t think so, but Nal’s constant over-dooming at the sight of even the slightest bit of rain is the best part of the thread imo - the actual forecasts are meaningless as almost every year past have proven. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

My first was '98, that was definitely the worst for me. I see people say 2011 and 2016 were bad but compared to '98 they were nothing.

I sometimes think it was good to go to one at which the weather was so bad as my first as I don't really mind the mud now, it's never been as bad (at ones i've been to) as that first one was. Think about the whole festival only being able to walk along the metal trackways in the market areas as the water/mud was at least ankle deep everywhere else and when standing watching a band you had to constantly lift your legs up to pull them out of the mud so that they didn't get permanently stuck there.   

1 minute ago, brettredmayne said:

It rained and rained and we had no let up at all from Wednesday to Sunday 

That's why I wish I'd gone. Cos I genuinely don't think it'd bother me... especially then at age 23, but I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The height of indie landfill and crap weather to boot? Makes me kinda glad I didn’t start going until a few years later.

That'd have been a far bigger issue than the weather. 

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That's why I wish I'd gone. Cos I genuinely don't think it'd bother me... especially then at age 23, but I could be wrong.

It was pretty soul destroying.  You were always wet, which made you cold.  Nowhere to sit down at all, as the site was liquid mud, you got back to your tent, and everything got covered in the mud.  We lost some of our group that year (as in, they didn't go back again, not a lost in the liquid landscape, never to be seen again sort of lost).  One of them got a really bad chest infection due to the wet and cold, and hasn't been to a festival since.

It was grim

Edited by Greenelk