The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Just now, Beaver89 said:

Why would wind be bad? I guess for the outside stage sound systems?

I’ll take windy and chilly over wet and muddy!

Exactly that. It can be pretty awful at the other and bad at the mid if the wind is strong. Isn't ideal for warmth preservation either. We don't want it blustery

Other needs no help in being windswept and bleak. (No aspersions on the artists!)

3 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Exactly that. It can be pretty awful at the other and bad at the mid if the wind is strong. Isn't ideal for warmth preservation either. We don't want it blustery

We’ve always been in [redacted as not telling our secrets] at the pyramid so not Ben an issue but makes sense it falls away further back

44 minutes ago, Familiar2billions said:

This latest run isn't necessarily the best we've had but it's certainly not terrible. If I can get away with taking just walking boots, which is looking more likely, then I'm happy with that. Also loving that we're getting consistency for a good Wednesday - Friday!

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Unless there's a massive, massive increase in the amount of water that falls compared to the forecast, it's definitely boot not welly terrain.

It's always walking boot and never wellie territory. Wellies really are a ridiculous choice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

It's always walking boot and never wellie territory. Wellies really are a ridiculous choice. 

I dunno. Looking back at 97 and 98 tonight reminded me of all those really deep puddles. In 98, I'd have walked in nothing else. And 2007 too was more welly weather, especially on the Sunday.

Not seen the like for years though, especially with the recent drainage improvements.

25 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

And also all those tents pitched in lovely calm 25 degree heat and might not necessarily be securely anchored could start flying around in a strong wind.

28 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

If the sound system is good enough then wind isnt an issue. Other than the Pyramid, no other stage has repeaters on it and that alone makes it a recipe for disaster with high winds.  So add a bad engineer at the sound desk plus the winds and its gonna be some shite sound other than anyone watching bbc coverage.

Edited by Suprefan

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I dunno. Looking back at 97 and 98 tonight reminded me of all those really deep puddles. In 98, I'd have walked in nothing else. And 2007 too was more welly weather, especially on the Sunday.

Not seen the like for years though, especially with the recent drainage improvements.

I keep hearing about the drainage improvements but what was actually done? In my head I think of a sports pitch where they've dug it up and put sand underneath and mixed it with AstroTurf. I'm guessing it's not that?

17 minutes ago, Crumbleflaps said:

I remember the wind whipping the sound off and away, far above our heads for U2. A fucking blessing.

I remember nothing of that set except arriving a bit late during even better than the real thing which had a butterfly visual on the screen and the perpetual sideways rain that lasted the entire rest of the set. The single most miserable set of my time at the fest. And I accidentally saw Kesha!

4 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

If the sound system is good enough then wind isnt an issue. Other than the Pyramid, no other stage has repeaters on it and that alone makes it a recipe for disaster with high winds.  So add a bad engineer at the sound desk plus the winds and its gonna be some shite sound other than anyone watching bbc coverage.

Yea, true. I’m not sure what they did at the Other stage but in fairness it is much better than it used to be and since the new stage shape / design it seems better still. Still not amazing, but we’ll take not having to stand in Shepton Mallet to hear them.

The year of the flash flood on v early Friday morning it had been bone dry and glorious in England for 2 weeks. Loads of people didn’t bring wellies yet most of the food trucks don lorries and some of the stages were only possible with them. My friend who we’d told to bring wellies didn’t believe us in the blistering sun the week before  we’d need em and so she didn’t buy any. After the flash flood, wellies sold out at triple prices everywhere- she wore plastic bags in her trainers and was uncomfortable the whole time slipping inside her shoes and getting foot rot!

wellies

sandals

walking boots

I doubt I’ve been the most in here but this will be my 12th Glastonbury and for the love of eavis, bring wellies.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting the impression some of you don't do a lot of camping generally? 

Love the cold nights camping in Autumn, I can't sleep at night if it's even slightly warmer. Sad to admit it, given the environmental impact, but I sleep with air con on full pelt most of the year. 

Up to Friday night looks too warm, Saturday and Sunday are perfect for me. Although I'll probably still go with an open sleeping bag. 

I don't want much do I? Red hot days and freezing nights, is that too much to ask? 

9 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I'm getting the impression some of you don't do a lot of camping generally? 

Love the cold nights camping in Autumn, I can't sleep at night if it's even slightly warmer. Sad to admit it, given the environmental impact, but I sleep with air con on full pelt most of the year. 

Up to Friday night looks too warm, Saturday and Sunday are perfect for me. Although I'll probably still go with an open sleeping bag. 

I don't want much do I? Red hot days and freezing nights, is that too much to ask? 

Nah I’m on board with that for our summers. I love a warm late evening round a fire pit or something but the freshness of a cooler night to counter the heat of the day is a wonderful thing. (Not mutually exclusive, I know)

I’ve long thought that if our summers were just a bit more consistent then we might be a little more chilled out as a nation. But that’s a whole other thing.

This will be the only camping most people do in a year (myself included) so hardly surprising that any conditions other than summery clement are feared.

Edited by Beaver89

40 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

I remember nothing of that set except arriving a bit late during even better than the real thing which had a butterfly visual on the screen and the perpetual sideways rain that lasted the entire rest of the set.   And I accidentally saw Kesha!

I couldn't agree more, and I held a piss in. The choices we make huh!? I've never heard of Kesha, is it a new variety of weed?

Edited by Crumbleflaps

23 minutes ago, Crumbleflaps said:

I couldn't agree more, and I held a piss in. The choices we make huh!? I've never heard of Kesha, is it a new variety of weed?

I wish. That would be much better. Sorry I meant Ke dollar Ha.

I was only there because my mate’s sister (first time) wanted to see her and it was Thursday so nothing else was happening (back then - 2011). However, I witnessed the best (and most accurate) review of a gig ever at it as there were two guys in front of us were literally keying cocaine and then shortly after, left. It was a gig so awful that no amount of drugs could make good.

Later in the weekend my flatmate’s gf wanted to see her and I warned it would be crap and that they should come to Friendly Fires with me (that Hawaiian Air one). I saw them the next day and asked how it was. “Oh the dancing and the confetti and the outfits…” “…and the music and singing?” “Shut up Beaver89!” 😅