The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Just now, jparx said:

Need yer head checked if you’re not wearing walking boots and shorts. 

When it inevitably turns out to be warm and dry, trainers are ok aren't they?

I mean, I will have walking boots with me 'just in case' but I won't need them!!!

Just now, Trunks1993 said:

Is this YR? Just seems to follow older GFS runs. If I’m right it’ll show similar output but less rain tonight 

Exactly, that is clearly a Control from one of the last 2 or 3 GFS runs. 

And any forecast that changes so frequently this far out according to, and inline with, a single gfs run (Metcheck, Accuweather etc etc) is not worth even wasting your time looking at until 1 to 2 days before. 

As a member of Team Walking Boots, I was planning on buying my first pair of gaiters if the forecast said heavy rain. I am running out of time.  Perhaps the act of buying the gaiters ensures it won't rain because returning them would be inconvenient.  

16 minutes ago, Poorside.2 said:

A type of pant, usually made of denim. 

Never wear jeans! Unsuitable for all festival weathers imo. I’ve only worn wellies in 2016 and only for one day. They manage to both stick in the mud when you move and also stick to your feet when you try and take them off. I do obviously take them to leave in the car as a sacrifice to the weather gods. 

8 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I mean, I will have walking boots with me 'just in case' but I won't need them!!!

Trainers (with a good insole) are fine if the ground is hard. Walking boots are good in (shallow!) mud

Edited by Wherethewildthingsare
Added brackets

12 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Nope, you'll risk breaking something if you wear trainer's on slippy ground . Start with boots and maybe put trainer's in the lockups with other stuff for later in the day 

18 minutes ago, karaseen said:

As a member of Team Walking Boots, I was planning on buying my first pair of gaiters if the forecast said heavy rain. I am running out of time.  Perhaps the act of buying the gaiters ensures it won't rain because returning them would be inconvenient.  

Do it. 😄

TBH if you do any walking outside of festivals gaiters are well worth having. 

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

They’re pretty positive about next week regardless of the latest GFS runs on the netweather forums so that’s good.

I've always said how good and accurate Netweather is and have never suggested a member of staff was any kind of serial killer.

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

The best boot footwear I've worn at festivals for muddy conditions are rigger boots. Comfy, non-sweaty, no laces, easy on/off.

About £25 at shoezone.

Easy on/off also means easily sucked off by the mud…..teeehee. 

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

I've always said how good and accurate Netweather is and have never suggested a member of staff was any kind of serial killer.

What the hell... Now I'm just intrigued and have soooo many questions... But I fear this is neither the time or place. 

1 hour ago, briddj said:

SUNDAY

Dry day (any rain showing in the evening would be virtually nothing), highs of 18.

image.thumb.png.fe737a0e6c04ac00d1999d10bbe3271b.png

The low fails to make an impression over the UK.

image.thumb.png.d658fe54b5b1fe844c39a813ba458d3b.png

SUMMARY

It's going to be a roller-coaster over the next few days as to what that low is going to do. Hopefully by Monday we might have a bit more confidence.

But this is a better run, with far less rain.

KNIFE. EDGE.

This run is fine to be honest. Running the risk of sounding like an old person, this sounds like what is veterans call "normal weather". It's a 2008 or 2009, it's a 1999, it's even a bit 2014 or 2015.  It's not a 2003, 2010, 2017 or 2019 (el scorchio) and it's not 97,98,2007 or 2016 (wet mud bath).  It's weather and we'll all* be fine with something like this.

* Ok, not all of us.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Easy on/off also means easily sucked off by the mud…..teeehee. 

Yea but its all about the navigating your immediate surrounding area at a muddy glasto. Any boots without laces run the risk of being sucked off 😉 but if it means avoiding laces then I'd risk that.