The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Also, they do cola ones with caffeine if you need something to get you going in the morning, or later at night if you're not into the naughties.

I use the high 5 stuff with caffine for cycling and it's pretty good - I'll make sure I pack a tube

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

We were on 293 pages when gates opened in 2019. Can we beat it?

If the forecasts become become consistent / boring then I don't think we will.

Some more knife edge forecasts? hell yeah, we'll exceed 300

51 minutes ago, Trunks1993 said:

60mm of rain in one day at Glasto 2007. Did people still enjoy the festival? Can’t imagine I would myself 

6A1AAFAB-F02B-4E71-83A8-5218E350F109.jpeg

I've been going since 98. Initially in a group of about 16-20 people. After 2007 only three others joined me in 2008.

It wasn't the muddiest - nowhere near 98 or 05 - but the endless rain every day ground you down. Didn't help it was the year they expanded the festival capacity, and the whole thing felt too busy. Plus the new speakers on Pyramid didn't work and you couldn't hear much. Monday 7am-11am was non-stop torrential, leaving the site all the toilets were overflowing and people waiting for coaches were being given thermal blankets. It was like a disaster zone 😂

Had a few good moments over the weekend, mainly after 2 litres of Brothers, but boy was it was grim.  

Edited by Glasto Weatherwatch
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

The last ten days of this thread is vintage Weather Thread. Will be studied for generations.

In the last week as a result of this thread I have ordered:

• UPF 40 wide-brimmed trekking hat to keep the sun off
  • Gridded lightweight fleece to keep the cold out

Whoever does all these GFS and whatnot runs probably has shares in the outdoors industry… 

Edited by offmytrolley

2 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

In the last week as a result of this thread I have ordered:

• 40 UPF wide-brimmed trekking hat to keep the sun off
  • Gridded lightweight fleece to keep the cold out

Whoever does all these GFS and whatnot runs probably has shares in the outdoors industry… 

futurama-conspiracy.gif

5 minutes ago, benc said:

I use the high 5 stuff with caffine for cycling and it's pretty good - I'll make sure I pack a tube

I've used those too. From memory aren't they 2 tabs per 500ml? The SIS ones are 1 tab per 500ml so better value for money.

I used to use the caffeine SIS tabs really often, so much that they didn't seem to have much effect, but since I cut down on caffeine drastically over Covid they really affect me now. I can only take half a tab and makes me go a bit doolally. I had an intresting evening at Bearded Theory the other week when I decided to have a whole tab and then a load of cider - I had a great time.  

8 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I always avoided that stuff as I think it says on the packet to only take if you have diarrhoea rather than general dehydration.

It works just the same... mostly same ingredients bar the extra fluff sis puts in. 

Dioralyte doesn't cure or stop diarrhoea it just replaces all the electrolytes you lose because of it... the same you lose from sweating a lot or drinking a lot.

Dioralyte works wonders. Seems to be sold out on all the supermarkets here though

4 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

I've been going since 98. Initially in a group of about 16-20 people. After 2007 only three others joined me in 2008.

It wasn't the muddiest - nowhere near 98 or 05 - but the endless rain every day ground you down. Didn't help it was the year they expanded the festival capacity, and the whole thing felt too busy. Plus the new speakers on Pyramid didn't work and you couldn't hear much. Monday 7am-11am was non-stop torrential, leaving the site all the toilets were overflowing and people waiting for coaches were being given thermal blankets. It was like a disaster zone 😂

Had a few good moments over the weekend, mainly after 2 litres of Brothers, but boy was it was grim.  

That is the same with heat. 9am, its 22° & your over riding thought is "I need to try and survive". It becomes soul destroying.

5 days of rain sounds a laugh to me.

4 minutes ago, Havors said:

It works just the same... mostly same ingredients bar the extra fluff sis puts in. 

Dioralyte doesn't cure or stop diarrhoea it just replaces all the electrolytes you lose because of it... the same you lose from sweating a lot or drinking a lot.

Dioralyte works wonders. Seems to be sold out on all the supermarkets here though

oramge squash and salty crisps works too.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

aren't dioralyte good for that sort of thing?

I’ll just ping one in when I get every other bottle filled up - also have dioralyte for a pre bed shake… nothing will work but maybe I’ll trick my ageing body into some sort of placebo effect 🤞

4 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I've used those too. From memory aren't they 2 tabs per 500ml? The SIS ones are 1 tab per 500ml so better value for money.

I used to use the caffeine SIS tabs really often, so much that they didn't seem to have much effect, but since I cut down on caffeine drastically over Covid they really affect me now. I can only take half a tab and makes me go a bit doolally. I had an intresting evening at Bearded Theory the other week when I decided to have a whole tab and then a load of cider - I had a great time.  

Yeah I'm not sure what the recommendation is, but always used 2 tabs anyway... I generally struggled with SIS stuff, the gels didn't agree with me at all

29 minutes ago, SighMo said:

image.thumb.png.e0271de2996e8c1ff4e04cdcb6cefca2.png

Apologies if teaching anyone to suck eggs but these are a great idea. I go on fairly long runs in the any heat fuelled by 500mls of this without taking any fluids with me. Always give anyone in our group some in the mornings to kickstart the day; great hangover help too. They sell them in Tesco. 

Is there almost 1gram of salt in these? Just trying to compare to the other electrolyte tablets I have - I've never seen anything over 0.5 grams in electrolyte tabs, so surprised by the content of these.

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

30 minutes to the next GFS run.

The last 4 hours or so of happy chat might be in the bin soon 😭

Runs like the last couple are double edged swords.  Absolutely fantastic to see but when it's still a week away, there's a reasonable chance it'll get ripped away from you.

It'll all be grand though.  

18 minutes ago, Quark said:

Getting happy I topped up on this stuff. It's pricey, but by God it's good and because it lasts so well you have to reapply a lot less frequently.

image.jpeg.ab4cad59bf61d9271bb5792b4f862f4b.jpeg

I have put somewhere else... that stuff doesn't work on me. Worst sunburn of my life with that.

If it works for you fair enough, but I wouldnt use it again...  

Soltan for kids. It actually works to some degree on me. Horrible stuff. Sticky gloopy shit, but it worked, ish.

Screenshot_20220611-110658_Chrome.jpg

7 minutes ago, benc said:

Yeah I'm not sure what the recommendation is, but always used 2 tabs anyway... I generally struggled with SIS stuff, the gels didn't agree with me at all

Yeah i've heard that gels in particular don't agree with some people. Luckily SIS were the first brand I tried and all their products seem to be ok for me. You just gotta use what works best for you.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I have put somewhere else... that stuff doesn't work on me. Worst sunburn of my life with that.

If it works for you fair enough, but I wouldnt use it again...  

Soltan for kids. It actually works to some degree on me. Horrible stuff. Sticky gloopy shit, but it worked, ish.

Screenshot_20220611-110658_Chrome.jpg

Ah that's a bugger, the once a day application works wonders for me.

Soltan was always my go to before P20, the 5* UVA is decent. But yeah, once you get above F25 with that stuff it gets a bit thick