The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

The forecast rain on Sunday and Monday is nowhere near enough to cause any problems from the current position we're in. And then the main music days are pleasant temps, a max of 24C at midday on one day and there are cries of too hot? Give me a break

It's a great run, it's got potential for the best festival weather ever all round. And I mean for everyone, cause obviously 2019 can't actually be topped.

2017 was the best weather the festival has had for me. Wednesday was not good, the rest was good for everyone.

2019 & 2010 - the worst.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Fair play. I had it in my head it was the torrential rain on the Friday before that destroyed the site and those videos popped up of water bursting out of the ground. Happy to be wrong though. 

That was the final straw. It was the high water table that had it spilling out of the ground, because it had nowhere to flow.

4 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

If Gav's update holds true (it won't), then I'd guess that this year's weather would go straight into the top 3 of all time (certainly this century). 

Very very positive indeed. 

We all know it won't be. We can only dream. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Fair play. I had it in my head it was the torrential rain on the Friday before that destroyed the site and those videos popped up of water bursting out of the ground. Happy to be wrong though. 

2016 had one of the wettest Springs on record, then the 10-14 days beforehand were cold with the odd biblical downpour.  there was no chance of it drying/draining away and that was what screwed it.  At least this year it's been dry and warm in advance, so the water can soak in or evaporate.  The main concern I've got over the latest forecast is the big dip in temperature after the heavy rain this weekend.  That will have a big impact on how quickly the mud dries.  Think the heavy rain this weekend is pretty much nailed on but the actual festival weather could still change.  Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

2016 had a lot higher water table. Based on the ground reports the well is super dry so not the same mud risks. 

We definitely had water in the well in 2015 - 2018. None to speak of in 2020 or 2021. This year we have had none since January. In fact we now have ferns and stuff growing up. It’s less of a well and more of a vertical greenhouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

From what I remember, even in 2016 the ground dried out a fair bit at first. Then more wet things happened and it got churned up and that was that.

I can’t even remember 2016 being bad. 2007 was my first festival so I’m sure I would have remembered it really well anyway but there’s no way I’m forgetting the weather that year. 2016 however I can’t really remember complaining about the weather. 

21 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Ok could be 2017 if it didn't rain, can't remember now. I'm sure 2010 was just sunny but not too hot.

2010 was really hot every day. Forced out the tent by 8am. It got to be nice about 7pm when some of the heat eased back. I found it difficult in between but would still definitely take it 

Edited by Chip Batch