The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

position of low brings air down from the artic circle...

Netweather NMM Image

you can see from the T850s the cold air being drawn down - air flows anti-clockwise around low pressure.  The 850 temp is 0 which means the ground temp is significantly cool for this time of year.  

On the plus side Northerlies tend to have a fairly dry air feed apart from on coasts 

image.png.dffc0c4d5fafda0912b56024c9fc759f.png

Edited by Aragorn

Can't find historic data for pilton specifically, but the Yeovilton weather station due south has precise historical data and it does not bode well...

IMG-20220614-WA0000.thumb.jpg.1be12fe52dfadf7694358490735e2dce.jpg

you can see that the last significant rainfall in 2016 was on the 16th, which was about 32mm. Sunday's biblical storm should be about 25mm, but with a couple of days less time to dry out. 

It's looking like it could be absolute carnage. Mudbath on entry, perpetual showers, temperatures around 15C. 

2 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Can't find historic data for pilton specifically, but the Yeovilton weather station due south has precise historical data and it does not bode well...

you can see that the last significant rainfall in 2016 was on the 16th, which was about 32mm. Sunday's biblical storm should be about 25mm, but with a couple of days less time to dry out. 

It's looking like it could be absolute carnage. Mudbath on entry, perpetual showers, temperatures around 15C. 

yawn 

1 minute ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

couldnt resist but you forgot to use Game Over, horrific and bloodbath (back to ignore)

10 minutes ago, HyperTechnoHorse said:

Not wanting to feed the trolls, but Mar-Apr-May in 2016 were also wet/cold.  This alone wasn't the problem.  The ground is sahara dry at the minute so an entirely different story.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he might be right though.

I make that around 80mm in the run up, no drying time on the Mon/Tue/Weds. We’re looking at 1/4 of the rain, on dry ground so it runs right off, with two days to bake off the last bits. No worries at all!

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Different strokes for different folks.

"Why the fuck would anyone want this heat?" - was said a lot in 2019 by me.

That Saturday was ridiculous. We were at John Peel tent for She Drew the gun and Gerry Cinnamon and it was just unbearable. Had to go and lie on the shade for a bit between 2 tents. The ground in the Mandela bar was just completely covered with people seeking refuge from the sun

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

That Saturday was ridiculous. We were at John Peel tent for She Drew the gun and Gerry Cinnamon and it was just unbearable. Had to go and lie on the shade for a bit between 2 tents. The ground in the Mandela bar was just completely covered with people seeking refuge from the sun

The only time I have ever crashed at Glastonbury was that Saturday. Knew there was a fence with some shade by the acoustic tent and was one of those poor people you walk past and go awwwwwww.

Was back for The Chemical Brothers though. 

2 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

That Saturday was awful. Strangely of our group, I handled it a bit better than some. 1 of my mates (who likes the heat) was in a bit of a bad way. Heatstroke. I spent quite a while trying to sort him out. I think trying to help took my mind off of how bad I felt 

12 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

That Saturday was awful. Strangely of our group, I handled it a bit better than some. 1 of my mates (who likes the heat) was in a bit of a bad way. Heatstroke. I spent quite a while trying to sort him out. I think trying to help took my mind off of how bad I felt 

I think sometimes it ends up worse for people who like the heat in terms of getting heatstroke because they just go out in it and don’t realise they’ve overheated until it’s too late. I’m sure as someone who doesn’t cope with heat at the best of times you were way more prepared and took precautions to keep as cool as possible.

13 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I think I had a bit of that. Made the daft decision to walk the car and back to get ale. Was then warm from the off and just couldn't cool down. Option was blazing hot outside tent or sweaty inferno inside the tent. Wont make that mistake again. 

23 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Yeah it was.  I completely drenched myself/my clothes near the back of the Pyramid field and was dry by the time I'd walked to the Park.  32 in the shade up there apparently.  But I'd STILL rather cope with a day of that than a day of pissing down and mud.

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you two? 😡

I'm with them, I'll take a wet year over a hot one any day of the week

The heat absolutely kills the atmosphere, walking around is an ordeal, tents don't help much and are usually rammed because no-one wants to be out in the blistering heat all day, tents are uninhabitable after 8am etc.

Genuinely excited that we might be in for the perfect year of mild weather

10 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yeah it was.  I completely drenched myself/my clothes near the back of the Pyramid field and was dry by the time I'd walked to the Park.  32 in the shade up there apparently.  But I'd STILL rather cope with a day of that than a day of pissing down and mud.

Not for me. I'd rather it not be muddy, but I can habe a laugh in the mud. 2016 Fri is my favourite ever Glastonbury day.

seems to be getting worse 😭 rain becoming lighter on saturday but increasing sunday monday - gonna stop looking until tonight haha

edit - I keep forgetting weve had hardly any rain all year - its gonna be fine

Screenshot 2022-06-14 at 14-48-27 Pilton England 10-Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Channel Weather.com.png

Edited by gazzared