The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

Just now, chazwwe said:

If 19-20 degrees is too hot for you. I don't think you should be festivaling in the summer.

I'd swap Wednesdays 23 with Saturdays. Cooler on the way in for set up. But anywhere 18-23 is pretty perfect for me.

It is a bit too hot, but not too bad. 19 is definitely ok, I'd stick with that.

2 minutes ago, leath02 said:

I'm getting a bit nervous at how good this is looking!

Too the point where I dont want to tell my non obsessive friends the current positive outlook

Had been dooming them with rain and mud for last couple of weeks, but dont want to jinx it now

I'm not too sure about things, but I feel like it would be pretty difficult for most the weather reports to be saying similiar things, to then it being a downpour all weekend/mud fest from rain before. 

Pretty sure we knew around this point that 2016 was going to be bad. 

2 minutes ago, TheGChild said:

Anyone else irrationally excited at the thought of wearing trainers all weekend

always amazes me how many people still wear wellies when it's as dry as a desert. Must be a mix between brainwashed newbies that bring no other footwear because Glasto is "always a mudbath" and thick people that think wellies in a field is mandatory.

Comfy trainers all the way for me, wellies are an absolute last resort.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cooter said:

always amazes me how many people still wear wellies when it's as dry as a desert. Must be a mix between brainwashed newbies that bring no other footwear because Glasto is "always a mudbath" and thick people that think wellies in a field is mandatory.

I where walking boots come what may.  Comfy, good support and fine what ever the weather.  

1 minute ago, Cooter said:

Yes, must admit the wellies are uncomfortable and a last resort. They are heavy and awkward to carry so if bad weather is predicted I tend to wear them on the way in, easier to carry other footwear. 

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Stout (waterproof) walking boots for me - usually manage about 15 miles a day (tho how much of that is bouncing up and down is unknown)

Just now, watsonjm said:

I where walking boots come what may.  Comfy, good support and fine what ever the weather.  

Yea fair enough, I can forgive walking boots to a point but they are somewhat debatable too. I suppose if the wearer needs extra ankle support then fine and if they're comfy then that's a bonus. But the laces ffs?

Apologies, I seem to have gone a bit Alan Partridge....back to the weather!

1 hour ago, briddj said:

Will the 00Z continue on the shock positive theme of the 18Z? Let's find out!

THIS WEEKEND

It's a bad start, with lots of heavy rain in a band across the south west on Sunday. But this is really only just touching the site on this run. But it is there nonetheless.

image.thumb.png.4a6ee1c34766b4e57c64fd14f7970c67.png

It is then completely dry to gates open. But what happens with the high this time?

Again, the high builds in as the festival begins.

image.png.27245c9a38ff90fcbe5605d972d26e91.png

image.png.f6304b4dedff13aaea043d90fffccd50.png

image.png.2b39b457763a36b2fa10b61ac85130f2.png

GATES OPEN

It means it's still great for gates open. 19 and dry.

image.thumb.png.d4841624abbccdc614b62393f361b302.png

THE FIRST DAYS

WEDNESDAY

Completely dry, 23 degress.

image.thumb.png.d2dc8548e3c71972f48d483f6ebc63ee.png

But the low pressure is starting to build in from the north east.

image.png.c54d44efb0da3bbcf970a5bcb9463ff9.png

THURSDAY

Dry but a little cooler, at 19 degrees.

image.thumb.png.71628e726b80a55a5560dc1b1ae281cc.png

That's due to the increasing influence of the low. But who will win the fight in this run?

image.png.ad615fbfcb441128dc1ea1daa011fd3e.png

THE FESTIVAL PROPER

FRIDAY

Completely dry, 20 degrees.

image.thumb.png.7f167c5fe08ad6c344be52f53ff40480.png

The low pressure appears to be winning the fight now, what will it do to the weekend?

image.png.473c59a7f1e4069f4c05a069bc7f769f.png

SATURDAY

Still dry with temperatures of 18 now.

image.thumb.png.d87826248ab6d2bbd3b19b2ccbaf8e32.png

But the low is still getting stronger, and that cannot be a good thing.

image.png.b6fca84089005ba88e022c4ddf665ae1.png

It means there is rain around in the overnight of early hours Sunday. It's nothing too heavy hitting the site on this chart but would run through to midday Sunday.

image.thumb.png.eb026d9956b202cccabd309bad7cf99f.png

SUNDAY

No rain around after midday, max temps of 19.

image.thumb.png.6770880b21b9ec92045969a7784291c6.png

The low is now settled over the top of the UK.

image.png.7918bf408f32ea4397e1549409038829.png

MONDAY FOR DEPARTURE

Worth a mention here for the first time, as there's the thread of a chilly 11 degrees and very wet pack-up on Monday at 9am.

image.thumb.png.e34bf66a0d483369a1e5d3dc0f16ba15.png

SUMMARY

So, in this run the low pressure which held off in the 18Z is far more dominant, while we do get some rain this weekend.

Where that rain falls this weekend is still uncertain though, and the temperatures after should mean the ground recovers.

But it really is all to play for over the next week with the high vs. low.

Stay tuned!

you're pretty good at this...

22 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Muddy laces are a nightmare. Once the mud is at a level where my laces are getting dirty then I’m switching my trainers for wellies. 

yes...in 97 (I always go on about 97) I gave up with even attempting to untie my laces and just slept with my shoes on and my feet sticking out of the tent.

Edited by steviewevie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

TBH the main reason for the Weather obsession is a) freedom to wear trainers and b) ability to sit down anywhere. I’d probably a take a cold, windy festival at a push. 

My obsession comes down to traveling by coach. If I don’t have to pack more cold or wet weather gear it means I can take an extra crate of cider.