The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

10 minutes ago, HannahB30 said:

That's interesting, I know colourism can be a massive thing in k-beauty, but I'd never heard that about the sun creams. 

I heard somewhere that in Asia being white is a sign of wealth.. e.g. you're wealthy enough not to live or work outside

Perhaps, in contrast to here, where being tanned is a sign that you go on holidays!

2 minutes ago, benc said:

I heard somewhere that in Asia being white is a sign of wealth.. e.g. you're wealthy enough not to live or work outside

Perhaps, in contrast to here, where being tanned is a sign that you go on holidays!

Or that you are very vain and use the sun bed a lot 😛

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

A bit off topic, but for those who really struggle in the sun it maybe is worth picking up a cheap giant golf umbrella?

Obviously not for use in crowds, but allows you to create your own patch of shade for some relief in quieter parts of the site. 

I have one for the school run - obviously it’s main purpose is to keep the northern rain off but I’ve often thought it would make a decent sun shelter at a push. 

it's not forecast to be sunny and hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

It's the fact there is literally nowhere to cool down. Nowhere at all. 

If you are a bit cold, put another layer on. If its raining, go in a tent. If you are nearly passing out with the heat, there is nowhere at all to go at all.

If the heat happens this year (which it doesn't look likely too) I'd check out a spot in the glade... Saturday of 2019 when it was 32 out I found my mate in a k-hole by a tree in the glade and he had somehow found the coldest place on site. They had fans going and a mister of some sort? And the whole thing was mostly shaded. It was down right shocking how hot it was out everytime I left that spot to grab a margarita! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Guy Incognito said:

Speaking of the co op how was the stock? Did it last long? I'm thinking a trip later in the weekend to re-up on mixer, beers etc might be useful. 

They don't sell alcohol, but they was well stocked on mixers.

13 minutes ago, benc said:

Used to be the same in western countries until fairly recently (historically speaking). Funny how these things change. 

54 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

This stuff is the biggest con the devil ever sold. Absolute shite

Screenshot_20220611-105208_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The only stuff that has worked (and it has actually worked) is kids suncream. Thick gloopy stuff that you cant rub in. Like paint. It has worked, but it's horrible. I do use it, but I still come out a bit pink.

😭 don’t say that I bought some of this yesterday!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's a false equivalence though - 2019 wasn't 'extreme'. The vast majority managed fine.

2019 and 2010 were about as hot as you would expect in the UK. I coped fine but it does change the way you do the festival and how much it changes it will vary from person to person. If you love hot weather and go abroad regularly you cope just fine. If you normally hide inside when the big yellow ball in the sky appears then it’s more of a challenge because there isn’t that many places to hide from it.Just like 2016 changes it for some more than others. 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Reckon this would work if you taped them to the outside of the bedroom/inside the outer? The F&B ones seem to work with the blackout fabric being the bedroom inner, so thought this could do the trick and stop the blankets flapping in the wind?

Be much less effective as reflecting the heat though. F&B have two coatings - the reflective (Fresh) outer coating and the absorbing* inner blackout layer (Black). They do different things, you want your space blanket on the outside. 

* Absorbing is not the right word, but you get the jist, I hope.

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

2019 and 2010 were about as hot as you would expect in the UK. I coped fine but it does change the way you do the festival and how much it changes it will vary from person to person. If you love hot weather and go abroad regularly you cope just fine. If you normally hide inside when the big yellow ball in the sky appears then it’s more of a challenge because there isn’t that many places to hide from it.Just like 2016 changes it for some more than others. 

Sure. You absolutely need to prep, the way you would for a wet one. Brace for all eventualities.

But a hot one doesn't banjax the ground and render the site into something out of the first world war.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sure. You absolutely need to prep, the way you would for a wet one. Brace for all eventualities.

But a hot one doesn't banjax the ground and render the site into something out of the first world war.

Nope hence why I said I personally would take it every time and I am generally a sun avoider. 

Being able to just sit on the ground makes it worth it for me!