The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

22 minutes ago, GlastoFlow said:

I’ve had a look at net weather but can’t work it out…could anyone explain in simple terms please??

there are different weather model things on there, but one that updates more regularly, is longer term and they have more charts for is GFS. Go here:

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

then choose chart type, you can choose two. I keep mosting the UK max temp and precipitation ones, although there are lots of different pressure ones too. Then clock forward or back on the arrows, they are every 3 hours. At moment goes up to Saturday 25th (which is looking dry at 6am!)

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

there are different weather model things on there, but one that updates more regularly, is longer term and they have more charts for is GFS. Go here:

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

then choose chart type, you can choose two. I keep mosting the UK max temp and precipitation ones, although there are lots of different pressure ones too. Then clock forward or back on the arrows, they are every 3 hours. At moment goes up to Saturday 25th (which is looking dry at 6am!)

I've just had a look and it doesn't appear overly scary to me currently. We need another week really before there's any real idea I think.

Edited by Euphoricape
Typo

Just now, steviewevie said:

I think this thing shows all the different GFS outputs for temperatures at 850hPa whatever the hell that is, I guess a certain height or pressure level?...lines to look at are Average and Mean...and can see the models expect hotter than normal between 16th and 20th June

9FDB1601-9ED7-4B2E-8D24-3EA2D265E76F.jpe

We can do better than Bournemouth... below also shows rain.

ens_image.php?geoid=48176&var=201&run=6&date=2022-06-09&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

5 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those showing less than 1mm of rainfall?

yeah, they're not showing torrential storms, just passing showers and rain probably...and as others have said its really hard to forecast where it will actually rain in the summer...so who knows...but at moment looks a bit damp...but also these will likely change (for better or worse)

Edited by steviewevie

It's funny, a couple of days ago I was feeling excited and happy that I was ready for my first festival in 3 years after the longest wait ever. Yet today I'm worried I may not make it due to the rail strikes and if I do somehow get there It will be nothing short of total weather armageddon and we may not make it out alive.

35 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

We left our camp in Big Ground to go and watch The Chemical Brothers on the Sunday night...took nearly an hour to wade through the mud and filth, stopped off for that Bill Bailey show on our way back....the rain started to get into my waterproof, i then went into my pocket for a cigarette, the top came off the packet, my hands were soaked, tried to light one up and the cigarette disintegrated, threw it on the floor and said to my mate 'i'm done!' and went back to camp!

Its the only year I've ever wanted to leave early, and if our driver had said he was going Sunday afternoon I would have had no problem with going.

We stayed until half way through The Who, then slogged it back to the car in West car parks. I stood in a black bin liner and removed my wellies and waterproofs in one go, then put on some trainers before hopping into the car. We made it out ok thank God. Home by 1am. It was grim that year, worse than 2016.

6 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

We stayed until half way through The Who, then slogged it back to the car in West car parks. I stood in a black bin liner and removed my wellies and waterproofs in one go, then put on some trainers before hopping into the car. We made it out ok thank God. Home by 1am. It was grim that year, worse than 2016.

We got to the car just before The Who and somehow managed to get out of a very boggy East car park before it became unpassable.

Funnily enough, I got talking to Pete Townshend's niece at the services on the M3.  She'd watched The Who from the side of the stage and had obviously had a much easier and quicker exit than we did!

2 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

I've just had a look and it doesn't appear overly scary to me currently. We need another week really before there's any real idea I think.

They will change regularly - the run can be completely different from 6am update to midday update this far out! Some runs are always more optimistic, others always more pessimistic.