The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Have you ever left early due to the weather?

We packed our stuff up early in 2010 & left straight after Stevie Wonder. In 2019, we were not close, but thst saturday was awful. None of us had a good day. Bizarrely I was probably the most "ok" of the lot of us.

Loads around us left in 2016. It was clear to see. There were people who found that really hard.

The only time the rain has ever annoyed me was Fri night 2011. After U2, that lamped it down. And it wasnt enjoyable, but didnt last that long. Just that night.

A girl i flatshared with at Uni way back in the midst of time went to her first - and presumably only - glastonbury in 1997. She went in on the thursday, stayed one night, and left saturday by midday absolutely distraught by the mud and the rain, the mess and the everything.

She was a bit prissy so i was surprised she even got a ticket in the first place. Im not in contact with her any more, wonder if she ever went back? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Well there was talk of them cancelling it in 2016. 

I can't see any other outcome now at this late stage given the forecasts.

Do you think they'll roll our tickets over? 

1 minute ago, mynameisjonny said:

Where are people seeing these terrible forecasts? Link to GFS?

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

You can then play with these drop downs. I tend to go with the below which shows air pressure and rain but you can look at temps etc as well.

It's quite fun looking at both the current and previous run side by side. It shows how much can change each time the charts are run.

image.png.8afa22539a1621c1b06e9d3d950b1210.png

Edited by JoeyT

Have you ever left early due to the weather?

We packed our stuff up early in 2010 & left straight after Stevie Wonder. In 2019, we were not close, but thst saturday was awful. None of us had a good day. Bizarrely I was probably the most "ok" of the lot of us.

Loads around us left in 2016. It was clear to see. There were people who found that really hard.

The only time the rain has ever annoyed me was Fri night 2011. After U2, that lamped it down. And it wasnt enjoyable, but didnt last that long. Just that night.

Ironically that Fri night in 2011 turned into my favourite night of Glastonbury i've ever had.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

You can then play with these drop downs. I tend to go with the below which shows air pressure and rain but you can look at temps etc as well.

It's quite fun looking at both the current and previous run side by side. It shows how much can change each time the charts are run.

image.png.8afa22539a1621c1b06e9d3d950b1210.png

thanks - yikes 

39 minutes ago, fuzzy_logic said:

That Portishead gig was so good, well worth the effort to get to see it. I remember the band's bus got stuck in mud so they were at least 30 mins late on stage ?!? But wow it was wet and muddy, funny thing was that it was only after the gig and the crowd had started bto move I realised I was actually stood in a big hole that meant I was literally knee deep in a muddy puddle 😫🤦😫

Yeah, amazing. IIRC the bus was actually approaching from the back of the field for some reason? In those days I was too poor to buy food from stalls but was so wet and miserable I bought some falafel from the stall on the right near Joe Bananas. That, some rum and Portishead sorted me right out. 

But before that I'd walked back down the Old Railway Line surveying the flooding in Pennards (as bad as 05 IMO, just less famous as it was dark when it happened) and couldn't conceive that the festival could continue. 

20 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Get this man a beer.

"Feels very June 2019"

image.thumb.png.b8c1a84b0b0d8b6dc1ad57a4e93fada1.png

Mid 30s? If that's the genuine forecast mid 30s, I am probably going to sack the wednesday & thursday off. 

Try and get there on the friday & do 3 days. I wont hack 5 days of that. Absolute nightmare. I'd rather 5 days of rain. Anything but a heatwave. 

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

If ever there was a time to leave early it was 2007. Sadly we stayed for the whole of The Who and then Bill Bailey's 1am outdoor show on Fire and Ice, when it had been coming down sideways since 9pm. Back then I had a 95 VW Polo and cannot believe we got it out of the car park without needing a tractor tow (unlike loads of others... being charged 50 quid a time)

We left our camp in Big Ground to go and watch The Chemical Brothers on the Sunday night...took nearly an hour to wade through the mud and filth, stopped off for that Bill Bailey show on our way back....the rain started to get into my waterproof, i then went into my pocket for a cigarette, the top came off the packet, my hands were soaked, tried to light one up and the cigarette disintegrated, threw it on the floor and said to my mate 'i'm done!' and went back to camp!

Its the only year I've ever wanted to leave early, and if our driver had said he was going Sunday afternoon I would have had no problem with going.

6 minutes ago, Pipine said:

The net weather forum model discussion seems to be heading more towards a hot forecast.. it’s still too early but it’s at least looking promising, a re run of 2019 would be sweet.

they're going off GFS which is showing a spanish plume 16/17/18th June but seems to end with loads of rain on 18/19th.

No

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Mid 30s? If that's the genuine forecast mid 30s, I am probably going to sack the wednesday & thursday off. 

Try and get there on the friday & do 3 days. I wont hack 5 days of that. Absolute nightmare. I'd rather 5 days of rain. Anything but a heatwave. 

I wondered why you were so blunt with me after what was clearly a joke... 🙈🙈😂

If it's too hot, I just won't be drinking, at all, me, sunshine and beer do not mix at all, makes me feel like absolute death. Rather be sober (and I'd still enjoy it sober.) 

• Upvote 1