The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

3 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

The issue for me when the site has had a lot of rain and then it stops and becomes very hot is that you still need wellies/boots etc and due to drying mud, it becomes very sticky so movement requires a lot more effort, then you have the sun beating down causing a lot of sweating/struggle and makes the whole thing a big ordeal.

That's what annoyed me about 2016.  Every time we started to get past that sticky, welly sucking mud stage, there would be another downpour that would reset the ground back to muddy and have to go through the sticky phase once again.

Though I remember on the monday being able to get around in trainers and was literally bouncing on the springy, yet surprisingly firm mud.

I had a quick look across all the big weather sites.  Same story as yesterday really.  Reasonable temps for the build up, a couple of significant (4mm plus) days of rain but nothing to get concerned about at this stage. The guys on Netweather continue to be miserable but there's some slight glimmers of hope on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

My questions are, do you have multiple pairs of white shorts, and if not HOW did you keep them so clean in all that mud?

Actually some form of khaki but show white in the photos, now long departed. I think it was 2 pairs. 

I am now fully in the walking boot camp but those wellies were incredible. Got them for about £18 in that shoe chain that used to be in business parks (Bantano?) and they were SO comfy. The only issue was taking them off took about 10 minutes, they eventually cracked in 2014. Sad times.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

1997. You had to be there.

I was but I didn't get on site until the Friday, and it didn't actually rain the whole time I was there.

The mud was deep and treacherous, but it did eventually dry out.  By the Sunday it was dry enough for trainers.

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Actually some form of khaki but show white in the photos, now long departed. I think it was 2 pairs. 

I am now fully in the walking boot camp but those wellies were incredible. Got them for about £18 in that shoe chain that used to be in business parks (Bantano?) and they were SO comfy. The only issue was taking them off took about 10 minutes, they eventually cracked in 2014. Sad times.

I miss my cheapo wellies.  £20 from a country type shop somewhere, actually designed for horse riding with a block heel. By all universal logic they should have ripped my feet to pieces. Nary a blister nor rub to be seen.

9 minutes ago, doogie said:

I was but I didn't get on site until the Friday, and it didn't actually rain the whole time I was there.

The mud was deep and treacherous, but it did eventually dry out.  By the Sunday it was dry enough for trainers.

was it? I don't remember that. I just remember it being fucking awful the whole time. Yes, didn't rain during actual festival, but was biblical leading up to it and I remember there was talk of stages sinking and maybe having to cancel. Maybe I thought it was so bad because I definitely didn't have the right clothing that year, had my feet in plasic bags inside shoes all weekend, and just kept them on and slept with my feel sticking out of the tent, it was too much trying to get them on and off. The next year which was also wet and muddy I had wellies and waterproofs and had a much better time (although we still got out of there saturday morning).

2016 was just something else. The 14-hour delays getting in, the insane mud, the constant rain, the Brexit result.

This will be our first time going since 2016 it was that traumatic....(Adele made it worth it, just)

Edited by nban2010

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

was it? I don't remember that. I just remember it being fucking awful the whole time. Yes, didn't rain during actual festival, but was biblical leading up to it and I remember there was talk of stages sinking and maybe having to cancel. Maybe I thought it was so bad because I definitely didn't have the right clothing that year, had my feet in plasic bags inside shoes all weekend, and just kept them on and slept with my feel sticking out of the tent, it was too much trying to get them on and off. The next year which was also wet and muddy I had wellies and waterproofs and had a much better time (although we still got out of there saturday morning).

Yes it was fine by the Sunday, although the mud was still quite soft.  People were making mudballs and lobbing them at Sting.

17 minutes ago, leath02 said:

how an earth did it transform so much over such a short period 😂

It was dry most of Saturday then blistering hot on the Sunday.  Watching Paul Simon (who wasn't very good anyway) was hellishly uncomfortable.

In 1997 I got the shuttle from Castle Cary to Gate B (i think) late enough on the Thursday and was confronted with mudpeople leaving the site. "Haha" I thought. They must have slipped. Poor guys.

20 mins later when I got to the Meeting Point I realised they hadnt slipped.

You guys must be reading a different netweather thread to me... I'm reading this one

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/96872-model-output-discussion-early-summer-and-beyond/page/90/#comments

It's very much like here, one or two doom mongers, one or two overly optimistic, with most pointing out that it's too early yet, and the majority of models (outside the heavenly and hellish outliers) are fairly boring and uneventful either way. 

19 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

In 1997 I got the shuttle from Castle Cary to Gate B (i think) late enough on the Thursday and was confronted with mudpeople leaving the site. "Haha" I thought. They must have slipped. Poor guys.

20 mins later when I got to the Meeting Point I realised they hadnt slipped.

My first Glastonbury, had the best weekend of my life. 

That mud was something else. It was like a war film. 

• Upvote 1

2016 was fucking awful.  Worst one I've been to by a mile weather wise.  Then the tent got slashed.  Then my OH's wellies started leaking Saturday evening and she burst into tears.  Got back to the tent to find the airbed had gone down and had a leak.  Packed up about 8pm Saturday and left.