Food & drink for type 2 diabetes

jono_01

I've been going to Glasto for the past 18 years, but I've recently been diagnosed as being type 2 diabetic. 

I've never been a big sugar consumer but quite a heavy drinker (though that's reduced).

What do other T2 diabetics eat and drink at the festival? I tend now to drink gin and slimline tonic so will take plenty of that probably, but what are the alternatives to buy on site?

Food wise, I've never really took notice of low carb and low/free of sugar options.

Ideally, I want to avoid taking loads of my own food so would be grateful to learn of any options.

30 minutes ago, jono_01 said:

I've been going to Glasto for the past 18 years, but I've recently been diagnosed as being type 2 diabetic. 

I've never been a big sugar consumer but quite a heavy drinker (though that's reduced).

What do other T2 diabetics eat and drink at the festival? I tend now to drink gin and slimline tonic so will take plenty of that probably, but what are the alternatives to buy on site?

Food wise, I've never really took notice of low carb and low/free of sugar options.

Ideally, I want to avoid taking loads of my own food so would be grateful to learn of any options.

Ok so I’m type 1 so it’s going to be different … but there are some handy apps that will tell you the carbs of many things … look up carb and Cals app in your App Store … for me that weekend I try and see it as a bit of a blow out and manage carefully at other times … I’m not sure but it’s worth discussion with your diabetes team … for me I just inject more if my sugars are high … can you do that with tablets ? Also bare in mind the significant amount of walking which might well counteract some of the effects of extra sugar intake … and that some alcoholic drinks  might take sugars up and then they might plunge when the alcohol kicks In … depending on your tipple … might be worth an experiment in controled circumstances now to see the effects of different types of alcohol on you 

Yeah, the apps are handy and I know it's easy to drop the bread from a burger etc but got me wondering if anyone had a 'go to' stall or whatever. 

It's all very new to me and I'm sure I'll find what works anyway. 

It's a very good point about the additional exercise but don't think I can take extra tablets as I'm on the maximum dose currently. 

As you say, it's only a week and guess so long as I avoid obviously high sugar/carb stuff it'll be alright 

I wonder if there's places that sell cereals for breakfast and salads for lunch. Not things I've ever historically looked for at festivals!!

2 minutes ago, jono_01 said:

Yeah, the apps are handy and I know it's easy to drop the bread from a burger etc but got me wondering if anyone had a 'go to' stall or whatever. 

It's all very new to me and I'm sure I'll find what works anyway. 

It's a very good point about the additional exercise but don't think I can take extra tablets as I'm on the maximum dose currently. 

As you say, it's only a week and guess so long as I avoid obviously high sugar/carb stuff it'll be alright 

I wonder if there's places that sell cereals for breakfast and salads for lunch. Not things I've ever historically looked for at festivals!!

I take a box of cereal as its light and milk is readily available from the shop and tractor .... that one is quite an easy win ... I tend to take a bit more food than id like as carb content isnt so easy to figure with unusual foods and easy with a packet 

• 9 months later...