2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Imagine if we get Billie Eilish instead of Taylor Swift and Harry Styles instead of Kendrick Lamar. It would take a very qualified spin doctor to pitch that as anything other than ‘sorry, we did the best we could’. 

Hopefully it’s all a ruse to put us off the real headliners. 

Fleetwood Mac, Oasis & Led Zeppelin

10 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Imagine if we get Billie Eilish instead of Taylor Swift and Harry Styles instead of Kendrick Lamar. It would take a very qualified spin doctor to pitch that as anything other than ‘sorry, we did the best we could’. 

I mean is it glasto’s fault that some acts who they thought were going to tour in 2022 didn’t? I don’t think blaming the festival is on the money really.

I know you’re not a fan of Billie but looking at who is touring this year she’s definitely the biggest pop girl on the circuit at the moment (aside from Adele but she only has 2 shows). Glasto having her in 2022 is a pretty incredible job.

I personally think it’s Billie, Macca, Kendrick and Harry subbing - but if Kendrick isn’t touring he isn’t touring. It’s not Glasto’s fault if he strung them along for months only to pull the carpet from beneath them.

From that quote earlier, it's clear The Mail are just regurgitating a Daily Star story which looks like a load of made up bollocks.

"Emily has said Fleetwood Mac are not playing but they're keen to get Stevie Nicks". I mean, that may be true but when and where did she say this? 

But.... the Star article is from December. Was anyone calling out Harry Styles UK tour at that point.

Genuine question, have any of you seen Billie live?

I caught the last song or two last time she played, as I was at Kylie/Miley.

I've just stuck her set from Firefly Festival last year and it seems like she relies massively on good faith and crowd participation.

I genuinely hope she does well, but I can see a Gorillaz level mass exit from the Pyramid Field coming. I really hope I'm wrong, but her style doesn't seem at all suited to huge live performances, especially where a crowd aren't exactly her own fans

24 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I've just stuck her set from Firefly Festival last year and it seems like she relies massively on good faith and crowd participation.

I genuinely hope she does well, but I can see a Gorillaz level mass exit from the Pyramid Field coming. I really hope I'm wrong, but her style doesn't seem at all suited to huge live performances, especially where a crowd aren't exactly her own fans

First time I saw Billie was at Big Weekend in 2019, I'm very much in her demographic, if not a couple of years older, I knew who she was at the time but didn't know much of her music. The crowd for her set (in the rain) was massive and I remember being so confused at how all these people knew every lyric to her songs, people were signing along to her in a way I've never seen for any artist before. I thought it was incredibly weird at the time how that trend seemed to have completely passed me by, fair enough big weekend is a different crowd to glasto but it makes me feel like she's more well known than most people appreciate. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

What’s the difference really between a Billie-Harry double and a Macca-Noel double the following night?

I understand there are limits to what Glastonbury can book, but I really don’t think it’s a reach for Harry to sub. This era for him seems to be about establishing his credibility. Playing Glastonbury would be a big factor in that.

Also due to his X Factor past, a headliner or nothing approach may not be the smartest move. It may mean that he counts himself out from Glasto forever.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Obviously if he worked in IT you'd think he should have his job back even if he might not be quite so popular around the office but there is something very icky about the public adulation he will receive from audiences. As you say it's up to individuals whether they go and see him and that probably is fair on balance it still doesn't exactly sit well.

Yeah it might feel a bit icky that he’s free to continue his career as a musician but that’s how the criminal justice system works. He’s served his sentence and now he’s free to seek a living.

I think that the daily mail article is bollocks tbh BUT if he was playing he'd definitely be headlining, stadium size acts don't sub. 

I've seen Billie live a few times and her crowds are insane, you usually can't hear her at all because everyone is screaming the lyrics so loud. She'll have a massive crowd I'd wager. Wasn't she making every other stage play to empty crowds at the UK festivals she was at last time? She's huge

27 minutes ago, shivroy said:

I think that the daily mail article is bollocks tbh BUT if he was playing he'd definitely be headlining, stadium size acts don't sub. 

I've seen Billie live a few times and her crowds are insane, you usually can't hear her at all because everyone is screaming the lyrics so loud. She'll have a massive crowd I'd wager. Wasn't she making every other stage play to empty crowds at the UK festivals she was at last time? She's huge

My post wasn't about her credibility as a headliner. She's fantastic on record and there's no denying how big she is as an artist. It's her live performance that makes me worry that she could see a lot of people leave her set early

4 minutes ago, K2SO said:

My post wasn't about her credibility as a headliner. She's fantastic on record and there's no denying how big she is as an artist. It's her live performance that makes me worry that she could see a lot of people leave her set early

If anything her recent sets show a growth in her live ability. I think it’s a bit naive to think her fans won’t at glasto either.

6 minutes ago, K2SO said:

She's always seemed like a great/exciting performer? She's super energetic and dances around and has neat staging. When I saw her in 2019 she did seem pretty worn down but attending one of her shows in 2018 was what made me a fan! She's had some time off recently, I'd imagine she'll be able to hold a crowds attention

1 hour ago, K2SO said:

Seen her three times and couldn't hear her for the crowd every time 😆

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If anything her recent sets show a growth in her live ability. I think it’s a bit naive to think her fans won’t at glasto either.

What I mean is that Glastonbury isn't her own crowd. I don't doubt people will participate, but you'd have to imagine the majority of the crowd are people aren't going to know every song word for word like they would at pretty much every other show.

26 minutes ago, shivroy said:

She's always seemed like a great/exciting performer? She's super energetic and dances around and has neat staging. When I saw her in 2019 she did seem pretty worn down but attending one of her shows in 2018 was what made me a fan! She's had some time off recently, I'd imagine she'll be able to hold a crowds attention

I'm glad about this. I want her to do well, genuinely. I'm just a bit worried for her holding the crowd's attention for 2 hours. I had planned to watch her up until this afternoon when I watched some live videos, now I'm not as sold as I was

15 minutes ago, K2SO said:

What I mean is that Glastonbury isn't her own crowd. I don't doubt people will participate, but you'd have to imagine the majority of the crowd are people aren't going to know every song word for word like they would at pretty much every other show.

Would you say the same about Kendrick? I would say Glastonbury’s audience would be less aware of Kendrick’s material than Billie’s.

I feel like this argument is thrown out as if music doesn’t have a wide reach and people attending Glastonbury who have an interest in their music would delve into their material in the lead up to the festival?

19 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Unless it's someone ubiquitous like Macca or the Stones this is true of every headliner.

21 minutes ago, K2SO said:

The grandads got their singalong to The Cure in 2019, this year is for the zoomers its only fair

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Would you say the same about Kendrick? I would say Glastonbury’s audience would be less aware of Kendrick’s material than Billie’s.

I feel like this argument is thrown out as if music doesn’t have a wide reach and people attending Glastonbury who have an interest in their music would delve into their material in the lead up to the festival?

But Kendrick doesn’t have a subdued live show that may rely on audience participation to come across well. Was that not the poster’s point?