LAWKS! It’s the Next Announcement Thread 2022!

jparx

Just now, Matt42 said:

Imo them booking Florence to headline is exactly the same as them booking Mumford to headline. You can’t object to one and have no problem with the other. In terms of how their career is going right now they are pretty much experiencing the same thing. Muted activity aside from a few headline slots at festivals across mainland Europe. 

I don't think The Machine has been cancelled for being a right wing weirdo though...

Just now, Matt42 said:

How did the tickets go for that?

No idea, honestly none, don't recall there being an abundance of cheap ones though as I'd have picked one up for the National. So it couldn't have sold too badly.

You asked when she was last booked to headline a massive festival and the answer is literally the summer before Covid struck.

22 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

You mean a bigger band, with a larger legacy and having released an album more recently? 

Bigger globally for sure, but think it's a pretty close run thing in the UK. Your original point was about how relevant they were and she's just as irrelevant in the modern music landscape as The Killers. 

5 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-24 om 11.27.21.png

The 1975 also headlined and it was completely empty for them. Their headlines vary hugely in size especially their size in Hungary, i don’t remember florence being too busy - way quieter than even Martin Garrix

Just now, topmarksbri said:

Bigger globally for sure, but think it's a pretty close run thing in the UK. Your original point was about how relevant they were and she's just as irrelevant in the modern music landscape as The Killers. 

I wouldn't say the Killers are irrelevant though, for the last decade they have consistently headlined major festivals and sold out stadia all over the world.

5 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

There is no way Florence could do the Killer’s current stadium tour. Not even close.

The Killers are at the point where they are becoming very cemented, plenty of albums all with a few decent songs each and so can always put on a good show and be booked pretty much anywhere

Edited by gfa

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I wouldn't say the Killers are irrelevant though, for the last decade they have consistently headlined major festivals and sold out stadia all over the world.

This is circular reasoning no? Killers are relevant enough to headline because they've headlined other festivals.

I don't really object to either FATM or Killers headlining, both safe boring booking of bands way past their heyday.   

2 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

This is circular reasoning no? Killers are relevant enough to headline because they've headlined other festivals.

I don't really object to either FATM or Killers headlining, both safe boring booking of bands way past their heyday.   

Not really because it's not just festivals they're headlining is it? They're still shifting massive numbers of tickets for their own stadium gigs, still getting loads of airplay on indie radio stations (their new singles always get massive airtime on the likes of Absolute and XFM) and every album they have released (barring their b-sides/rarities album) has gone to #1. That suggest to me that they are still relevant to a large number of people.

It's a fallacy to assume that because one no longer pays attention to an act everyone has too.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

No idea, honestly none, don't recall there being an abundance of cheap ones though as I'd have picked one up for the National. So it couldn't have sold too badly.

You asked when she was last booked to headline a massive festival and the answer is literally the summer before Covid struck.

I mean BST headliners can range from Duran Duran to Tom Jones etc who we wouldn’t consider Glasto headliners. I know that they probably have smaller capacities but idk BST isn’t quite what I had in mind when i was thinking huge festivals. I know it’s a big gig but it’s bookings vary a bit.

Szgiet is a good example of what I had in mind that I wasn’t aware of.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I mean BST headliners can range from Duran Duran to Tom Jones etc who we wouldn’t consider Glasto headliners. I know that they probably have smaller capacities but idk BST isn’t quite what I had in mind when i was thinking huge festivals. I know it’s a big gig but it’s bookings vary a bit.

Szgiet is a good example of what I had in mind that I wasn’t aware of.

You're looking for caveats to support your point now Matt. You can point to Duran Duran, Tom Jones etc, but I could just as validly point to Taylor Swift, Adele, Elton John, Stevie Wonder... 

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

The Eagles still sell out stadiums. I guess there's different definitions to 'being relevant'. 

There are acts that transcend into being set for life and will fill stadiums regardless of when their last hit was. 

The eagles have been one of these acts for decades and maybe the killers are as well. 

Seems like there is disagreement on here if florence and the machine are one of these acts, I say they are not but potentially could be with further hits