news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

There it is. 

What a shock. It’s so convenient that I’m the week the Gray report was likely to come out the Met announce they will investigate thus delaying any report for weeks. This was always going to happen to ensure Johnson is let off. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and police can expect to get more evidence I guess.

Yup, they'll have to go through the report. Work with her on more stuff but also go back through everyone she interviewed so they can make statements if they wish. It'll take weeks. 

If anyone else was being investigated by the police for law-breaking while carrying out their job, they would have to step aside and take a period of unpaid leave while it was ongoing.

I also don't see why SG has to wait. Surely she can report her findings regardless of what the Met are up to. This stinks.

23 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

If anyone else was being investigated by the police for law-breaking while carrying out their job, they would have to step aside and take a period of unpaid leave while it was ongoing.

I also don't see why SG has to wait. Surely she can report her findings regardless of what the Met are up to. This stinks.

Probably because the report is now being used as evidence and releasing that evidence to those who are being investigated only gives them time to prep and interfere. 

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Probably because the report is now being used as evidence and releasing that evidence to those who are being investigated only gives them time to prep and interfere. 

I wonder if new evidence has come to light, or she just waited until her investigations were complete and then handed to police?

4 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

A sitting PM under police investigations for criminal behaviour while in office. Is there a precedent for this? Or is BJ the first?

I certainly know that if I was under police investigation for crimes potentially committed while at work, I'd be forced to take an unpaid leave of absence until the matter was resolved.

Boris Johnson doesn’t have to abide by the same rules as the rest of us.

20 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

The report was due to come out in days and just in time the Met decide to take action so the report can be delayed. The timing is so convenient.

27 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

A sitting PM under police investigations for criminal behaviour while in office. Is there a precedent for this? Or is BJ the first?

To be fair, we have no idea if Boris is under investigation. We just know that No. 10 is. Subtle but important difference.