Good and bad record shops

anditmakesmesmile

24 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Any good ones in Liverpool? Heading in on Saturday - going to Jacaranda for sure but there are a few others on Google Maps - any/all worth going to?

Best is the legendary Probe, in the side of the Bluecoat School Building. Follow the signs for the Bluecoat from Church Street. 

Dig in Bold Street is cool, and there's another in a vintage clothe shop basement that has a good selection. 

And on your side of the water there's Skeleton records. 

Edited by Declan

43 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Any good ones in Liverpool? Heading in on Saturday - going to Jacaranda for sure but there are a few others on Google Maps - any/all worth going to?

20 minutes ago, Declan said:

Best is the legendary Probe, in the side of the Bluecoat School Building. Follow the signs for the Bluecoat from Church Street. 

Dig in Bold Street is cool, and there's another in a vintage clothe shop basement that has a good selection. 

These plus there's one in St John's Precinct that goes under the radar but has a good selection of old and new, picked up a couple of bargains there. I think it's called Music and Film direct.

Go up the stairs by The Playhouse (opposite the old Liverpool store, no doubt  you'll be visiting there 😀). HMV is now next to that too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

51 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

These plus there's one in St John's Precinct that goes under the radar but has a good selection of old and new, picked up a couple of bargains there. I think it's called Music and Film direct.

Go up the stairs by The Playhouse (opposite the old Liverpool store, no doubt  you'll be visiting there 😀). HMV is now next to that too.

Thanks a lot! Will visit all those. Didn't realise there was a new HMV, thought it was just gone! 

11 hours ago, Tommy101 said:

I'm a fan of Pie & Vinyl in Southsea. I appreciate not many people find themselves in Portsmouth by accident but its always worth popping your head in if in the city (and very near the Victorious site) 

This. Who wouldn't want pie & mash while shopping for records?

On 1/14/2022 at 9:39 AM, jyoung said:

Goes under the radar bcos St Johns is rank.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:08 PM, vintagelaureate said:

Might be some bargains for @efcfanwirral

On 1/14/2022 at 2:38 PM, Gnomicide said:

Let us know, I might make a trip, like the vulture I clearly am.

Haha I misinterpreted the directions given on here and spent a harrowing few minutes in St John's looking for it - I didn't realise quite how bad it was.

Not a lot in the way of vinyl bargains for me anyway- I hadn't heard of most that were there. If you're interested in CDs or DVD/blu rays then it's worth heading in before the 22nd. Some really cheap stuff 

There was a Stone Roses singles box for £75 in the window though which could be of interest to someone. 

New Jacaranda/Phase One is brilliant- really like what they've done with the place, and Probe and Dig were great recommendations. So funny the look of contempt on the face of the guy in Probe when I asked if he had Sam Fender 😂.

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

New Jacaranda/Phase One is brilliant- really like what they've done with the place, and Probe and Dig were great recommendations. So funny the look of contempt on the face of the guy in Probe when I asked if he had Sam Fender 😂.

haha - I think that's a right of passage at Probe! Pete Burns used to work there (before my time!) and was quite vocal:

https://thequietus.com/articles/24272-going-for-a-song-a-chronicle-of-the-uk-record-shop-extract-pete-burns-probe-records

22 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

haha - I think that's a right of passage at Probe! Pete Burns used to work there (before my time!) and was quite vocal:

https://thequietus.com/articles/24272-going-for-a-song-a-chronicle-of-the-uk-record-shop-extract-pete-burns-probe-records

Load of tweets about him (including mine) in this NME piece.

https://www.nme.com/blogs/fans-remember-buying-records-from-pete-burns-1769961?s=09

Haha I misinterpreted the directions given on here and spent a harrowing few minutes in St John's looking for it - I didn't realise quite how bad it was.

Not a lot in the way of vinyl bargains for me anyway- I hadn't heard of most that were there. If you're interested in CDs or DVD/blu rays then it's worth heading in before the 22nd. Some really cheap stuff 

There was a Stone Roses singles box for £75 in the window though which could be of interest to someone. 

Hadn't realised Jacaranda had done something new. Is it in the same place or in Phase One?

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Hadn't realised Jacaranda had done something new. Is it in the same place or in Phase One?

In Phase One - the courtyard is still there but they've refurbished the bar completely and the record shop is at what would've presumably been the shop next door but they've combined it all. Record shop is fully there now 

In Phase One - the courtyard is still there but they've refurbished the bar completely and the record shop is at what would've presumably been the shop next door but they've combined it all. Record shop is fully there now 

Nice one. I'll have to get over there.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:06 AM, Gnomicide said:

That's disappointing, decent little shop but I've never tried them on line.

I only really got it when I found out who the owner is. 

It's not the dig vinyl shop it's a company called this is dig which apparently its part of warners just a big online distribution company but shit service 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:43 PM, crocodiles said:

It's not the dig vinyl shop it's a company called this is dig which apparently its part of warners just a big online distribution company but shit service 

Dig, the shop, have a Discogs page. I've never used it though because they charge  extra P&P to the Isle of Man, when Royal Mail prices are the same. 

Edited by Declan

• 2 months later...

Thought I’d share the phenomenal sale on right now at MerchBar (.com). Just bought six albums for about £85 (plus postage).  Four Tet, Thylacine, Caribou (x2 - Suddenly and Our Love) Justice and Aurora. I think the exchange rate against the dollar helps, but still - a pretty good price. Shipping was $19.77. 
That was just on the Electronic link. I might have another shop a bit later in HipHop. Or Rock & Pop! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Thought I’d share the phenomenal sale on right now at MerchBar (.com). Just bought six albums for about £85 (plus postage).  Four Tet, Thylacine, Caribou (x2 - Suddenly and Our Love) Justice and Aurora. I think the exchange rate against the dollar helps, but still - a pretty good price. Shipping was $19.77. 
That was just on the Electronic link. I might have another shop a bit later in HipHop. Or Rock & Pop! 

Cheers for that! £27 for two Caribou records is a bargain. 

7 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

The problem being the 20% vat on top when it enters the country and the £10 or so fee for the postal company collecting the vat so probably another £30 to add to the total when it comes in.

May as well use this thread to tell of another experience. My first girlfriend indicated at the time that she liked the music that was used on a cigar advert on the tellly (yes, it's going back a fair bit now). I hadn't got a clue what the music was other than it was classical music. Knowing that there was a music shop in the city centre (Birmingham) I walked in past 3 or 4 people browsing the vinyl albums (that was as cutting edge as it was back then) and up to the bloke at the counter. I said to him that this was going to be a strange request, but could he tell me if he knew who the piece I was about to hum to him was, and did he have it. I then proceeded to hum something along the lines of 'dun, du du du dun dun, du du du dun dun'. This I repeated (for what would eventually become maximum embarrassment). If you want to know the actual piece of music go to see (5.52 onwards) 

That didn't happen. He didn't nail it. He (to my very young and unexperienced eyes) just silently shook his head in a 'No' kind of way. I took the hint and would have said (ie probably did) 'Well, thanks anyway', turned around and left the shop. in fact, that very process did happen, but i made the mistake of not looking down on the floor of the shop all the way out of it. I did the 'unspeakable' thing (evidently) and looked up at the other customers in the shop. The look on their faces, on reflection, was outrageous - they were (I had and still have no doubt about this) looking down on me like I was something that they had just tread on. The very same thing that is. occasionally, emitted from a dog's arse!

Anyway, to cut a long (and let's face it, dull) story short, I pursued my goal and did manage to find the piece of music eventually. And in attempting to do so also discovered Offenbach's Tales of Hoffman, so expertly executed here;