Bar work - Glasto 22

Dukey

Hi guys - apologies if there is a thread for this, I did look but couldn’t see one - 

Does anyone know of any bar work for Glasto this year? I have done it 3 times before and loved it but they closed the bar I believe - worked on Chameleon right next to the Pyramid 

26 minutes ago, Dukey said:

Hi guys - apologies if there is a thread for this, I did look but couldn’t see one - 

Does anyone know of any bar work for Glasto this year? I have done it 3 times before and loved it but they closed the bar I believe - worked on Chameleon right next to the Pyramid 

Keep an eye out with Shelter who provide staff for about half the bars on site - https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury

They have committed to rolling over places for people who were previously signed up for 2020 so might not have many spots for 2021.

Other bars are staffed by the WBC and Refresh West - however they'll be even more difficult to get into unless you're already involved with them.

11 hours ago, tarw said:

I’m sure that @glasto-worker will be on soon to give advice but if you’re a member of a union it might be worth asking your regional office if they provide a team to the WBC and if they have any spaces

while what you write is correct  - full list is at 

https://www.workersbeer.co.uk/volunteers/current-organisations/

its highly likely that official Teams will be cut back this year and its likely that Team organisers will allocate places to Volunteers who have been doing it for many years.

I would imagine that a trade union would be a better bet than a community group although the sooner they are contacted the better.

Not sure if this applys to the beer pullers jobs but my friend who litter picks told me yesterday that one of the questions was whether you were English or the EU because apparently they aren't taking any EUs unless they obviously have all the right documents.. 

Which in his words 

Is out of order as it means loads of people from around the world won't be able to go.. I didn't realise that there were that many people from around the world who were volunteering to litter pick.. But I suppose it makes sense.. 

Anyway happy Thursday.. 

48 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

Not sure if this applys to the beer pullers jobs but my friend who litter picks told me yesterday that one of the questions was whether you were English or the EU because apparently they aren't taking any EUs unless they obviously have all the right documents.. 

Which in his words 

Is out of order as it means loads of people from around the world won't be able to go.. I didn't realise that there were that many people from around the world who were volunteering to litter pick.. But I suppose it makes sense.. 

Anyway happy Thursday.. 

employers have to comply with employment rules.

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

employers have to comply with employment rules.

They do, but it's worth mentioning that as of a few years ago the rules changed slightly so charity volunteer roles are now treated slightly differently to paid roles or volunteering for a company.

Essentially - people from overseas can enter now enter the country as a tourist and volunteer for a charity without a special visa, as long as volunteering wasn't their primary reason for visiting the country and doesn't total more than a certain number of days.

Specifically In terms of work at Glastonbury - it means that overseas tourists are able to volunteer for Shelter, Oxfam etc, but not for any of the commercial contractors or the festival itself. I know that Recycling Crew members are often raising funds for a nominated charity but in that case I guess it depends on whether they're legally deemed to be working for GFL or for the Charity.

19 minutes ago, incident said:

They do, but it's worth mentioning that as of a few years ago the rules changed slightly so charity volunteer roles are now treated slightly differently to paid roles or volunteering for a company.

the employer has to comply with the rules

19 minutes ago, incident said:

Essentially - people from overseas can enter now enter the country as a tourist and volunteer for a charity without a special visa, as long as volunteering wasn't their primary reason for visiting the country and doesn't total more than a certain number of days.

Specifically In terms of work at Glastonbury - it means that overseas tourists are able to volunteer for Shelter, Oxfam etc, but not for any of the commercial contractors or the festival itself. I know that Recycling Crew members are often raising funds for a nominated charity but in that case I guess it depends on whether they're legally deemed to be working for GFL or for the Charity.

7 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

Is out of order as it means loads of people from around the world won't be able to go.. I didn't realise that there were that many people from around the world who were volunteering to litter pick.. But I suppose it makes sense

Another unintended Brexit consequence. (Or bonus if this sides go to people here who might have missed out)

• 4 months later...

Refreshing (pardon the pun) this topic - does anyone know of any standalone bars who might be still needing help or anything? Aware it's quite late in the day but plans and commitments change so thought there might be some availability. Any contacts or info greatly appreciated 🙂

16 minutes ago, mbretton said:

Refreshing (pardon the pun) this topic - does anyone know of any standalone bars who might be still needing help or anything? Aware it's quite late in the day but plans and commitments change so thought there might be some availability. Any contacts or info greatly appreciated 🙂

Worth dropping these guys a line

https://refreshwest.eventmaster.jobs/events/dQxamMUn7aLdqgC0B41g

1 hour ago, mbretton said:

Send me a pm - may be able to point you on the right direction 

1 hour ago, mbretton said:

these guys run afew bars.

http://eventbars.com/