Best wellington boots

Respectfatfrog

Aigle makes the best wellies. They are like slippers to wear, so so comfortable, very supportive with fantastic customer service. They are a case of you get what you pay for, they are very expensive but worth every penny. My wife had the same pair for the whole time we had our Labrador, she wore them pretty much every day walking him and also wore them at Glastonbury in 2016. She gets terrible blisters with almost everything she wears, but not those boots, still has them now 13 years after she bought them.

5 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

Decent walking boots anyday - not wellies.

This. Never wellies.

Alternatively if you want something a bit higher than usual walking boots, Police/Tactical Boots. Can get waterproof versions and high enough that they'll cope with a decent depth of mud.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

I took a pair of Muck Boots wellies with me in 2014 alongside a pair of decent walking boots. It didn’t take long to realise that good walking boots are all you need. 

I have a pair of muck boots and they are great. Much more fitted than wellies so more comfy and better grip. I use them loads when walking the dog and never have any issues with my feet compared to when I did a muddy Glastonbury in normal wellies and my feet ended up in a terrible state. 

The neoprene upper also makes them less likely to rub and your feet less sweaty too. 

Edited by dondo

I was going to say, “Don’t use wellies, get a decent pair of walking boots.” But the wisdom of the efests crowd beat me to it.

wellies don’t have the support to keep you comfortable for a day of hiking around a muddy farm interspersed with vigorous dancing. Good boots are just as waterproof, but also breathable. I know they don’t go up as high, maybe someone can talk about waterproof socks, as I have no experience with them yet.

15 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I was going to say, “Don’t use wellies, get a decent pair of walking boots.” But the wisdom of the efests crowd beat me to it.

wellies don’t have the support to keep you comfortable for a day of hiking around a muddy farm interspersed with vigorous dancing. Good boots are just as waterproof, but also breathable. I know they don’t go up as high, maybe someone can talk about waterproof socks, as I have no experience with them yet.

good timing .... amazing things ... I could dance in puddles wearing them and feet stay dry ... sealskinz are the brand ive used and they are very good .... otter are another brand but ive not worn these before  edit ive actually got a new pair arriving today so will try and upload a video demonstration .... although ive been struggling to upload things of late 

Edited by crazyfool1

11 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Looking for recommendations for the best wellington boots for dog walking and using at Glastonbury. Anyone have some boots they can recommend? 

I wear simple black Dunlop wellies. They've never let me down and last for years. 

11 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Looking for recommendations for the best wellington boots for dog walking and using at Glastonbury. Anyone have some boots they can recommend? 

Wellies are only needed if the mud gets really deep and there's lot of standing water, otherwise walking boots are sound. If the ground is firm or hard you may want to use trainers. Find sandals a pain because of grit and stones easily getting under your sole.

While we've correctly diverted the topic from Wellies to Walking Boots, I'd also like to recommend getting a pair of Lock Laces (or an off brand equivalent). Makes things a lot less unpleasant if you do have to take muddy boots off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get the whole boots via wellies debate and am fully onboard with boots but the right pair of wellies can be very good, I remember one year a path up by PGD was under so much water, only people in wellies could get through.

I had a great pair of wellies that I used for the first four Glastonbury's I went to along with a number of other festivals, really comfy and only cost £12 from Brantano! The only problem was getting them off, it could take 10 minutes of wrestling with them, not good when you are back in your tent and knackered. Eventually they cracked and I had to get something new. 

I then had muck boots for a couple of years but 2016 did for me, the mud kept pulling them off while my son (in his walking boots) just kept striding on. That convinced me to go with boots. I now also do a lot more walking in general so basically wear them every day.

Those wellies posted by @Smeblelook excellent though, just a tad (!) pricey but the sort of money a lot of people would spend on walking boots so worth considering. 

17 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

16 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

walking shoes plus waterproof sealskinz socks ....  simples 

I have SealSkinz and they are great. During the summer I walk the dog in trainers and if there's a downpour I put SealSkinz on - walked through ankle deep puddles, soaked the trainers and my feet stayed dry. These are the ones I'd recommend: https://www.sealskinz.com/products/waterproof-warm-weather-mid-length-sock-with-hydrostop?variant=36106219520149

I have had the luxury of never experiencing a wet Glastonbury, but I did a muddy Beautiful Days in trainers and Sealskinz last summer and had no issues at all. I can't see myself ever wearing anything but trainers at a festival. 

12 minutes ago, sime said:

I wear simple black Dunlop wellies. They've never let me down and last for years. 

This is a lie, surely, or you walk in a manner which doesn't stress the wellies?! I wear wellies to walk the dog every day during winter and I have split or worn through every pair I've ever had. None have lasted longer than 4-5 months before becoming permeable. There have been plenty of pairs of Dunlops among them but also a range of values from the cheapest up to about £50. I've never been able to bring myself to spend more. Maybe it's time to get some Aigle ones as recommended by @Smeble

My current wellies are these Dickies ones: https://www.enrgtech.co.uk/buy/product/ET13910141/FW13200-Sz9
I didn't need the toe cap but they looked comfortable and I thought they'd be heard wearing. At first they were comfy but the fleece lining balled up and became uncomfortable and they also seem very prone to collecting stones in them somehow. Recently the fleece lining has worn through and detached from the inner so they turn inside out whenever I take them off. In addition to this, they have split near the toe cap after about 4 months heavy use. They're also very heavy. Wouldn't recommend. 

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I have SealSkinz and they are great. During the summer I walk the dog in trainers and if there's a downpour I put SealSkinz on - walked through ankle deep puddles, soaked the trainers and my feet stayed dry. These are the ones I'd recommend: https://www.sealskinz.com/products/waterproof-warm-weather-mid-length-sock-with-hydrostop?variant=36106219520149

I have had the luxury of never experiencing a wet Glastonbury, but I did a muddy Beautiful Days in trainers and Sealskinz last summer and had no issues at all. I can't see myself ever wearing anything but trainers at a festival. 

This is a lie, surely, or you walk in a manner which doesn't stress the wellies?! I wear wellies to walk the dog every day during winter and I have split or worn through every pair I've ever had. None have lasted longer than 4-5 months before becoming permeable. There have been plenty of pairs of Dunlops among them but also a range of values from the cheapest up to about £50. I've never been able to bring myself to spend more. Maybe it's time to get some Aigle ones as recommended by @Smeble

My current wellies are these Dickies ones: https://www.enrgtech.co.uk/buy/product/ET13910141/FW13200-Sz9
I didn't need the toe cap but they looked comfortable and I thought they'd be heard wearing. At first they were comfy but the fleece lining balled up and became uncomfortable and they also seem very prone to collecting stones in them somehow. Recently the fleece lining has worn through and detached from the inner so they turn inside out whenever I take them off. In addition to this, they have split near the toe cap after about 4 months heavy use. They're also very heavy. Wouldn't recommend. 

yeah the only reason I wear walking shoes over trainers is they give better grip ... totally trust the waterproof ness of the socks though 

6 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Is that £32.50 per pair?

No wonder they offer interest free credit.

Has anyone got any experience with Vivo Barefoot walking boots? Because of this thread I've been looking at getting some and like the look of these. 

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/tracker-ii-fg-mens?glCountry=GB&glCurrency=GBP&colour=Bracken&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImobP2uic9QIVXfbjBx3bqAC7EAQYBCABEgKNcPD_BwE

56 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I had a great pair of wellies that I used for the first four Glastonbury's I went to along with a number of other festivals, really comfy and only cost £12 from Brantano! The only problem was getting them off, it could take 10 minutes of wrestling with them, not good when you are back in your tent and knackered. Eventually they cracked and I had to get something new. 

I have something like this for taking my boots off

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Boot-Pull-Jack-Shoe-Foot-Wellington-Welly-Scraper-Cleaner-Remover-/255208451174?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

Has anyone got any experience with Vivo Barefoot walking boots? Because of this thread I've been looking at getting some and like the look of these. 

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/tracker-ii-fg-mens?glCountry=GB&glCurrency=GBP&colour=Bracken&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImobP2uic9QIVXfbjBx3bqAC7EAQYBCABEgKNcPD_BwE

I hope someone comes on and says these are really good, cos they look lovely!