Campsite Poll

gfa

Campsites Poll  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your favourite area to camp at Glastonbury?

• Zone 1 (Central Campsites)
    • Zone 2 (South West Corner)
    • Zone 3 (North West Corner)
    • Zone 4 (John Peel Campsites)
    • Zone 5 (Pyramid Field)
    • Campervans
    • Worthy View
    • Staff Camping
    • Offsite/other?
  2. 2. Bonus Question - do you change campsites a lot or stick to one

• I stick to the same campsite generally
    • I have camped in a fair amount of different places

I remember having an old Nokia for my 1st few Glastonburys that had a removable battery so just brought spares.

These days as I am normally on site for about a week I have a fair few power banks that I take with me. 

26 minutes ago, dondo said:

I remember having an old Nokia for my 1st few Glastonburys that had a removable battery so just brought spares.

These days as I am normally on site for about a week I have a fair few power banks that I take with me. 

When I went to Reading Festival in 1999 I was the only person out of 15 who went in our group who took a phone.  I only touched it a couple of times, once to arrange a meeting spot with a mate who came on the Sunday to see RHCP and on the Monday to ask my mum to pick me up from the train station when I got home!

As the years went on and the battery's became less reliable (and I used it more) I just used to take a back up phone and swap the sim over.

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Could you imagine trying to camp down there these days?! Would be a nightmare.

When I worked with Shelter in 2019 we were outside the main fence behind IICON stage and that was seriously loud to try and sleep next to!

In 2008 I was camped up against the hedge line at the foot of Dragon's and directly over the hedge behind me was the afterburner! That was a sleepless festival I can tell you, but then I could get away with it more then...

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

In 2008 I was camped up against the hedge line at the foot of Dragon's and directly over the hedge behind me was the afterburner! That was a sleepless festival I can tell you, but then I could get away with it more then...

That sounds horrific! 

At least the daytimes would be quiet! 😄

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

That sounds horrific! 

At least the daytimes would be quiet! 😄

My own fault though - the field was pretty much empty when I turned up on the Monday (as I was working for Oxfam that year and this was before they began insisting that stewards only camp in their fields). Thought it would be a laugh and naturally easy to find at night when worse for wear. It was easy to find allright...

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

I’m always a bit baffled by the people who’ll queue, sometimes for hours, to sit by their phone as it charges up. I always used the lock ups for that. Was it 2019 when the festival made a decision half way through the weekend to stop lock ups from being able to charge phones, so everyone had to go to EE? Pissed me right off, that decision.

I’ll be taking a powerbank or two with me in June. 

I take 3. A big one to charge phone over night. A little one to get through the day if I don't go back to the tent. And a second big one to recharge the little one overnight. 

I have got a better phone since, so hopefully this will be less of an issue now...

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I take 3. A big one to charge phone over night. A little one to get through the day if I don't go back to the tent. And a second big one to recharge the little one overnight. 

I have got a better phone since, so hopefully this will be less of an issue now...

You must spend a lot of time on your phone!

9 hours ago, Pinhead said:

At Leeds, maybe in 2004 or 2005. I arrived early and pitched my tent in what I thought was a quiet hedge lined spec. The next day, they built a skate ramp with constant drum and bass next to it. It wasn't the greatest for sleeping! Now though, I've gone the other way and can sleep through anything!

2 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

At Leeds, maybe in 2004 or 2005. I arrived early and pitched my tent in what I thought was a quiet hedge lined spec. The next day, they built a skate ramp with constant drum and bass next to it. It wasn't the greatest for sleeping! Now though, I've gone the other way and can sleep through anything!

Anything is possible with enough beer inside to assist with sleep...

9 hours ago, Pinhead said:

My mate usually brings a ton of weed with him to festivals, I don't tend to really smoke anymore...but I find that a few passes on his joint at the end of the night help me drift off very quickly no matter what noise is going on around my tent!

I tend to slip into an alcohol induced coma when I first get back to my tent, then something wakes me at 5 or 6 and I can't get back to sleep again.

At Bearded Theory I've slept through the tent next to me being raided by the Police, waking up to it being surrounded by crime scene tape, and last time there was apparently a massive thunderstorm that I missed.

At Glastonbury my mate came into my tent looking for tape, shouted me, shook me... nothing.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I tend to slip into an alcohol induced coma when I first get back to my tent, then something wakes me at 5 or 6 and I can't get back to sleep again.

At Bearded Theory I've slept through the tent next to me being raided by the Police, waking up to it being surrounded by crime scene tape, and last time there was apparently a massive thunderstorm that I missed.

At Glastonbury my mate came into my tent looking for tape, shouted me, shook me... nothing.

Blimey, Gnommi. What happened to your neighbours at Bearded Theory?

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Blimey, Gnommi. What happened to your neighbours at Bearded Theory?

They were only there to rob tents. It was pretty obvious from when they arrived they weren't part of the usual crowd. Bearded have been hit before and have measures such as CCTV, dummy tents etc. Anyway, I don't know what the full story is but apparently security and the police searched the tent and found a shed load of handbags, wallets etc. I'm told there was shouting, loads of people milling about, torches shining everywhere, went on for ages... I never heard a thing. 

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

My mate usually brings a ton of weed with him to festivals, I don't tend to really smoke anymore...but I find that a few passes on his joint at the end of the night help me drift off very quickly no matter what noise is going on around my tent!

Indeed I'd have what I call my 'bedtime spliff' which helps, but note that this seems to become less effective as my body adapts and tolerance increases over the course of the festival.

13 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Not at my age. What used to constitute "enough beer" now gets me out of my sleeping back 2 or 3 times to pee and there isn't enough room in my rucksack for that many lenor bottles.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, gfa said:

What time did you get there usually / when would you say Oxylers gets full roughly?

You can get a sense from this video how long Oxlyers takes to fill up. I've arrived before late Wednesday afternoon and still been able to sneak a tent in when my friends had arrived earlier. You sometimes get very small groups trying to squeeze in Thursday too.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

You can get a sense from this video how long Oxlyers takes to fill up. I've arrived before late Wednesday afternoon and still been able to sneak a tent in when my friends had arrived earlier. You sometimes get very small groups trying to squeeze in Thursday too.

No trackway...

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF 

Am I right in thinking it was stuck in a quagmire at Download? 

Edited by blutarsky

49 minutes ago, ogriff said:

Not at my age. What used to constitute "enough beer" now gets me out of my sleeping back 2 or 3 times to pee and there isn't enough room in my rucksack for that many lenor bottles.

Yep, me too - have graduated from Lenor to a 2L ex-cider container now... Got to be careful no-one makes a mistake with it as the shade of the contents look quite original...

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Yep, me too - have graduated from Lenor to a 2L ex-cider container now... Got to be careful no-one makes a mistake with it as the shade of the contents look quite original...

Ah, i use a 5l water bottle, a wide top and a carry handle. 😳

5 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Graduated to lidded 1 litre plastic yoghurt pots when Mrs L came along. Female anatomy is not best designed for Lenor bottles 😲