Campsite Poll

gfa

Campsites Poll  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your favourite area to camp at Glastonbury?

• Zone 1 (Central Campsites)
    • Zone 2 (South West Corner)
    • Zone 3 (North West Corner)
    • Zone 4 (John Peel Campsites)
    • Zone 5 (Pyramid Field)
    • Campervans
    • Worthy View
    • Staff Camping
    • Offsite/other?
  2. 2. Bonus Question - do you change campsites a lot or stick to one

• I stick to the same campsite generally
    • I have camped in a fair amount of different places

52 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I assume they have to burn the wood otherwise the fungus can spread. Needs some very cold times to stop the progress of this, which we just don't get 

I don’t know …. Maybe once it’s dried out  it will be fine ? I mean the dead stuff 

48 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Actually, I do have a gif but it only starts in 2008 and doesn't line up that well.

Webp.net-gifmaker.thumb.gif.529f36214da70c8e83cfd95992f0c269.gif

Some other interesting ones:

2003 and a similar unlabelled one:

414044810_glastonbury_map2003.thumb.jpg.da6488b2abe48a5d051fdbbb7527cd21.jpg

map98.thumb.jpg.7cff2865260ffc87d7526265d769d612.jpg

A different take from 1997:

glasto_3086617k.jpg.39d6f0725943c8c5a55271243dfa4865.jpg

A very old one but I don't know the year:

IMG_-nlgz2n.jpg.1bc1ea8b73ba605d92775a825c31ac97.jpg

2003 map takes me back- my 1st Glastonbury 

27 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I'm always outside the gates for around 5am so I'm lucky in that I can always get a space. From memory it's probably quite difficult to get a space there after about midday but I tend to put my tent up and go for a wander so I can't be 100% sure that time is right as I lose track of time. I'm always shock by how quickly it's filled up though. Although it depends, how many of you are there? If you're trying to find space for about 5+ tents you might struggle but if it's 1 or 2 you might be alright. 

My best guess would be that if you do get a space arriving later, it's likely to be close to Silver Hayes than it is to Other Stage or Pangea/Arcadia sides of Oxlyers.

I reckon we're looking at 3, 3 man tents maximum. Sounds do-able if the coach doesn't get stuck in a ton of traffic so maybe we'll give it a go. We do have 2 people driving up who could get in earlier but not sure they would be too keen on rocking up super early. Thanks very much for the help!

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Out of interest how long is the walk to say Arcadia/Park from Bushy?

There used to be a handy little chart for this, but I think it was just stage to stage - not campsites? Bushy is closest to Silver Hayes I think, so time from there would give you a decent idea. That's only about five minutes walk away.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

There used to be a handy little chart for this, but I think it was just stage to stage - not campsites? Bushy is closest to Silver Hayes I think, so time from there would give you a decent idea. That's only about five minutes walk away.

Walking-between-stagesPNG.png

• Upvote 1

Oxleyers was where you were guaranteed to be robbed the first night and where if it was a muddy one you were likely to be the first flooded out. In some ways cant believe its still going where the camping strip between Other and Jazzworld was taken away for traders years ago. Still miss Dragon's myself tbh...

5 hours ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Realistically which areas are going to be unobtainable for a group of 5-7 first thing on Thursday morning?

Easier to say which will have space viz Zone 3 high likely, zones 2 & 4 probably. The popular areas will be full by lunchtime Wednesday with latecomers there getting the least desirable pitches.

The thing about Glast is it's scale. It towers over nearly all others. The thing to avoid is making a 15-60mins (or more) trudge from your car or the coach park only to find your chosen site is full. If arriving anytime after midday Wednesday it's advisable to check the notice boards to see where there is camping available.

3 hours ago, gfa said:

I reckon we're looking at 3, 3 man tents maximum. Sounds do-able if the coach doesn't get stuck in a ton of traffic so maybe we'll give it a go. We do have 2 people driving up who could get in earlier but not sure they would be too keen on rocking up super early. Thanks very much for the help!

I would bribe the drivers to get there early and take your tents and set them up in your preferred spot. You could then carry their alcohol or other heavy item for them. Or take a crate or two to say thank you

36 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Easier to say which will have space viz Zone 3 high likely, zones 2 & 4 probably. The popular areas will be full by lunchtime Wednesday with latecomers there getting the least desirable pitches.

The thing about Glast is it's scale. It towers over nearly all others. The thing to avoid is making a 15-60mins (or more) trudge from your car or the coach park only to find your chosen site is full. If arriving anytime after midday Wednesday it's advisable to check the notice boards to see where there is camping available.

Great.

We've camped in Oxlyers every year since 2009 (I've also done Kidney Mead once as well as well as Tom's field as a volunteer). I have a real soft spot for it due to the memories. It's definitely much more of a 'party' atmosphere due to its location so definitely not advisable if you struggle to sleep. 

I camped in the staff area for Theatre & Circus in 2019, they extended it slightly, to just outside of the super fence, situated literally behind the south east corner, yards away from the Common. Cannot begin to tell you how loud it was, you might just as well have tried to sleep in the middle of the Gas Tower. Not so bad for me, but would have been a complete nightmare for some 

26 minutes ago, tarw said:

I would bribe the drivers to get there early and take your tents and set them up in your preferred spot. You could then carry their alcohol or other heavy item for them. Or take a crate or two to say thank you

Yeah we could run the alcohol from the car to the tents for them as a thank you once they are in. Fingers crossed

4 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Being our first Glastonbury and coming out of the UK, how safe is the camping about robberies? For the ones coming from overseas how do you usually do with your passport for example to keep it safe? Any tips? 

Put anything valuable in the free lock ups - keys, passports, documents, even money. 

They can be used as an ATM almost. They'll even give you toilet roll if you need it. 😂

They're a fantastic part of Glastonbury.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/property-lock-ups/

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Being our first Glastonbury and coming out of the UK, how safe is the camping about robberies? For the ones coming from overseas how do you usually do with your passport for example to keep it safe? Any tips? 

Yep there’s free property lockups .. donate at the end.. run by charities … bloody amazing https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/property-lock-ups/

Edited by crazyfool1

Another one for bushy, its certainly not the best for location but its spacious, calm and there is no time pressure to arrive early / overnight to camp there. Its also near gates A and D for arrival and departure. Its the easy option.

i resent being pretty far from west holts and cabaret for example early doors, which is often where i like to kick off the day - but you just deal with it as really there isnt much if any easily obtainable general camping near those places. Just get walking and begin the day. Obviously its miles from the SE corner on a night too but again almost everywhere is. If you see something in silver hayes or john peel its not far to pop back to the tent if you need to. Other isnt that far either.

We’re the type to cook our own breakfast on a camping stove so not having lots of breakfast options close by doesnt bother me.

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

Put anything valuable in the free lock ups - keys, passports, documents, even money. 

They can be used as an ATM almost. They'll even give you toilet roll if you need it. 😂

They're a fantastic part of Glastonbury.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/property-lock-ups/

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep there’s free property lockups .. donate at the end.. run by charities … bloody amazing https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/advice/property-lock-ups/

Echo what these guys have said. I have a small bag that I put some cash, car/house keys, driving licence, emergency credit card in and drop that off at a lockup.

Thankfully I've never had any issues with someone trying but I have also read somewhere where people say keep your tent messy so any thief can't be bothered as opposed to where they could just grab a bag to rifle through later. 

Never knowingly had my tent visited / robbed going every year as a standard punter since 2007. Not saying it doesnt happen but you’d have to be desperately unlucky to have it happen to you. Its not at all rife. I have to say i love the advent of contactless meaning hopefully carrying more than a bit of petty cash is a thing of the past. I was never comfortable having over £100 cash on me at any time, which was of course completely normal up until very recently. Other than cash and a smartphone i wouldnt bring anything worth stealing. Good luck finding my car amongst the tens of thousands if you get the key. I have never bothered with the lockups myself but can see why people do.

Edited by Memory Man

9 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Arcadia/Pangea must have kept the party going in my head. 😂 I went to the Prodigy tribute thing at 5am on the Hell Stage, and remember still hearing the rumble of base when I was back in my tent in Park Home. Must just have been noise reverberating around my mind! 😂

The crew bar was open much later than 3am so maybe it was that you could hear!

15 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks. 🙂

I'm sure my time will come when I can no longer be bothered to get a prime slot, we camped on the outskirts at BoomTown which I know is much smaller but it did mean that once we left the campsite for the day we only really went back once to change into warmer clothes or grab more beer.  

I think the campsites closer to the action can make you a bit more lazy as everything is so near.