Campsite Poll

gfa

Campsites Poll  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your favourite area to camp at Glastonbury?

• Zone 1 (Central Campsites)
    • Zone 2 (South West Corner)
    • Zone 3 (North West Corner)
    • Zone 4 (John Peel Campsites)
    • Zone 5 (Pyramid Field)
    • Campervans
    • Worthy View
    • Staff Camping
    • Offsite/other?
  2. 2. Bonus Question - do you change campsites a lot or stick to one

• I stick to the same campsite generally
    • I have camped in a fair amount of different places

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Might well be some SE corner changes ..... 🙂 

Yes that's what I'm thinking. 

I assume ICON will be there again, although I think the jury is out on how successful that was in 2019 IMO.

I think now I'm a bit older I'm less bothered about that area, as I can't really handle going full pelt down there and then having any sort of energy the following day! I usually reserve it all for a big Saturday night till 4-5am in there.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

2008 the Afterburner was there, as part of the Trash City field - so it was in the same field as NYC Downlow and a giant Pinball Table themed venue that I thought was pretty cool but haven't seen since.

I’m pretty sure that before it moved to trash city it was opposite the rocket lounge in the SE corner.  Not sure about the dates- it’s all a bit fuzzy!

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Yes that's what I'm thinking. 

I assume ICON will be there again, although I think the jury is out on how successful that was in 2019 IMO.

I think now I'm a bit older I'm less bothered about that area, as I can't really handle going full pelt down there and then having any sort of energy the following day! I usually reserve it all for a big Saturday night till 4-5am in there.

And Pangea will be bloody incredible based on the fact we only saw version 1 .... they will have sorted the dangly ball issue im sure , they might even finish the Pier on time .... 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

And Pangea will be bloody incredible based on the fact we only saw version 1 .... they will have sorted the dangly ball issue im sure , they might even finish the Pier on time .... 

I worked in 2019 so didn't really get to see Pangea in action as when I had the night off on the Saturday I went to the S.E Corner...this year maybe. 🙂 

28 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I worked in 2019 so didn't really get to see Pangea in action as when I had the night off on the Saturday I went to the S.E Corner...this year maybe. 🙂 

Never mind the fact you worked... did anyone see Pangea in full action? 😂

It looked fantastic, but they clearly struggled with aspects of it! Can't wait to see where they go with it!

I enjoyed my limited time a IICON, I presume for the staging and space, it'll be there again.

31 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think they're laying the Pier wood now in prep! 

2 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Never mind the fact you worked... did anyone see Pangea in full action? 😂

It looked fantastic, but they clearly struggled with aspects of it! Can't wait to see where they go with it!

I enjoyed my limited time a IICON, I presume for the staging and space, it'll be there again.

I think they're laying the Pier wood now in prep! 

Dutch elm disease  has hit the farm .... I wonder if they make use of that wood somehow .... think the railway track is going to be light of trees for a few years 

Zone 5 for me so far. 2 x Kidney Mead, Big Ground and Row Mead in 2016 as we could not drag trolley any further through mud from gate A. Other times we have been at gate c or b after overnight q so no real issue getting spot. 
we have chosen that area due to proximity to Williams green which we like to start and end day at.

this year maybe different as we are on coach arriving 9-10 on Wednesday and other group members who are driving are not keen on the Tuesday night experience. This thread has been great for getting some ideas for a new field. Keep the advice coming.

5 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

this year maybe different as we are on coach arriving 9-10 on Wednesday and other group members who are driving are not keen on the Tuesday night experience. This thread has been great for getting some ideas for a new field. Keep the advice coming.

this is our issue too. 4 of us coming on a coach and everyone else who has normal tickets have opted for glamping so depending on when our coach arrives we will need to make decision for ourselves. 

15 hours ago, gfa said:

Was interested to hear about Bushy - I reckon if we don't get into Oxylers we would be going to Dairy Ground and Bushy is right by it. Thanks for the help 🙂 

Just wondering as well does anyone have a photo like this one attached that also features the time it was taken - just want a rough idea of how full the site will be when we arrive. Decisions, decisions

image.thumb.png.d8f847ff8e020d51f52ec9026b487e05.png

19 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Realistically which areas are going to be unobtainable for a group of 5-7 first thing on Thursday morning?

I think that picture gives you a good indication. If you all want to be closely camped together, the campsites closest to the Pyramid and Other will be the hardest to get into.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Having now turned 40 I'm a bit like you as I like/need a bit of sleep and I'm not to bothered about being in the thick of it, however what puts me off just turning up at my own leisure and camping on the outskirts is the amount of time it would take to get to anything remotely interesting.

This is where I do slightly go on the angle that the festival has got a bit too big as each year there is more stuff to do in the main part but at the expense of punter camping which just seems to get further and further out each year.

That's fair. We don't drive there now so have always been somewhat limited by how early we can get there via public transport (in my earlier days my friend's mum in Somerset would have us over the night before and drive us there before gates opened - so handy!). I genuinely do quite like the walk back to Bushy of an evening, but I don't tend to pop back and forth that much in the day time.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Is there a gif to show how the festival has grown over the years … ? I’ve been going since 02 and can’t remember it having grown much since then … apart from the obvious worthy view … the issue is that people use bigger and bigger tents these days ( guilty ) hence the active discouragement of gazebos a few years ago … in my early festivals these weren’t a problem 

No gif but this is the 1995 map overlayed on the 2019 one. It was done on my phone so not 100% accurate but fairly close.

IMG_20190422_122233_0.jpg.38f6f4494f59100054f742dd6b74d3c2.thumb.jpg.ccd927815fd652db3dd2fba5306cf811.jpg 

Edited by Gnomicide
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Dutch elm disease  has hit the farm .... I wonder if they make use of that wood somehow .... think the railway track is going to be light of trees for a few years 

I assume they have to burn the wood otherwise the fungus can spread. Needs some very cold times to stop the progress of this, which we just don't get 

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

That's fair. We don't drive there now so have always been somewhat limited by how early we can get there via public transport (in my earlier days my friend's mum in Somerset would have us over the night before and drive us there before gates opened - so handy!). I genuinely do quite like the walk back to Bushy of an evening, but I don't tend to pop back and forth that much in the day time.

Out of interest how long is the walk to say Arcadia/Park from Bushy?

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I've camped in Oxlyers every year since 2014. In my experience I've never found it that loud. If you have a look, it's split into 2 by a path. We have always camped to the left of the walkway so it's a little further back from the big Other Stage crowds. You can hear Silver Hayes and Pangea/Arcadia at night but it's not too bad.

For me, the location is perfect. The only time you'll find yourself with a long walk really is SE Corner but by that time you probably won't care.

Toilets - Someone else mentioned it but if you go at the right time (normally between 7-8am) then they're cleaned and pretty decent - as decent as festival toilets can be of course. The absolute worst toilets in my experience are the ones on the railway track outside Shangri La, dear me.

Hope some of this helps!

Thanks for this - based on the location didn't think it would be awful. Pretty much everywhere quiet to sleep is far from SE corner anyway, would much prefer this. Not too fussed on toilets. How quick has it been filling in recent years - that's the main thing for us being on the coach? 

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Out of interest how long is the walk to say Arcadia/Park from Bushy?

If you're at the top end of Bushy, nearest the Park then you can be at Arcadia in 5-10 minutes depending how fast you walk. Add another 5-10 if you're the far end of Bushy. Add another 5 to get from the bottom of the Arcadia field to the Park entrance (more if there's an act playing). 

Edited by blutarsky

2009 I was in Wicket for my debut prior to it becoming a family field. Very quiet, felt cut off as it was surrounded by trees but I enjoyed it there.

2010 Park Home behind the Bimble Inn. Location was superb but the trade off for us was being too close to the toilets, not as noisy as I thought it would be.

2011 Michaels's Mead. Superb, could see the Pyramid from our tent, near to Lulu's cafe, a spot I've often wanted to return too.

2015/17 Having missed 13&14 I returned and ended up in Pylon purely because of it's proximity to the coach station. A vastly underrated field in my view. Plenty of room, not too far from JP, Silver Hayes Other or Pyramid. Also pretty quiet.

2016/19 Worthy View, quite frankly my group wanted WV so that's what we did. The big plus point was that Wednesday was a breeze. Car park right next to the site, tent already up, so you  are good to go as soon as you have dumped your gear in the tent. It cannot be overstated how nice this is. Great views of the site from the market area and if you finish your night in the SE corner of the site not a long walk home. There is the hill, but it's not too bad and you can break the journey at Strummerville.

2022 I'll be at Sticklinch. I was soo close to getting my group inside the fence but they love their pre-erected tents but this time without the hill. Looking forward to being somewhere different.

Planning where to camp is one of the funnest things about Glastonbury and there is something to be said for pretty much every part of the site. Get in early on the Wednesday and you'll have your pick. 

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

Thanks for this - based on the location didn't think it would be awful. Pretty much everywhere quiet to sleep is far from SE corner anyway, would much prefer this. Not too fussed on toilets. How quick has it been filling in recent years - that's the main thing for us being on the coach? 

I'm always outside the gates for around 5am so I'm lucky in that I can always get a space. From memory it's probably quite difficult to get a space there after about midday but I tend to put my tent up and go for a wander so I can't be 100% sure that time is right as I lose track of time. I'm always shock by how quickly it's filled up though. Although it depends, how many of you are there? If you're trying to find space for about 5+ tents you might struggle but if it's 1 or 2 you might be alright. 

My best guess would be that if you do get a space arriving later, it's likely to be close to Silver Hayes than it is to Other Stage or Pangea/Arcadia sides of Oxlyers.

These days we usually camp in Baileys, its quiet!  Its a very long trek to everywhere but we don't tend to come to and from the tent much and actually enjoy the walk back in the early hours.  Have camped on the south side since 1997, staying close-ish to the fence, so as its moved out, so have we!  We did have one year when we camped somewhere near the John Peel, didn't suit at all as it felt a long long way from the stages we prefer to be near.

We usually arrive on site around midday on Wednesday too, but stay until late Monday afternoon as we love a big Sunday night bender!!