2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Even though I have a day ticket for RATM, I'd love to see Reading & Leeds make the same swap. Just for the LOLs.

Just now, Leyrulion said:

Can you put a beer on how many bottles of piss end up on stage?

If this was still the 00s. People attending R&L nowadays would probably consider it an upgrade. Rage have more of a chance of being bottled by R&L attendees nowadays than Harry Styles

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Basic point but would him being a UK act swing it? Idk I just feel like he encapsulates that polarising Glastonbury headline choice extremely well. Sort of thing that generates a lot of office chat. You know the ones….

I think it would make him more likely to want to play. I don't think it would make Glastonbury more likely to want to get him.

He would be polarising though, for sure.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If this was still the 00s. People attending R&L nowadays would probably consider it an upgrade. Rage have more of a chance of being bottled by R&L attendees nowadays than Harry Styles

You're probably right, sadly. I was surprised that R&L booked them again in all honesty, was thinking a one-off park show might be a better option

I think Harry Styles is that emerging headline option that no one sees coming. Quietly ticking off all of the requirements needed for the job. An oversight by some people who don’t really follow pop, but fits the type of pop booking that Glastonbury actually goes for (aside from Swift).

- Critically acclaimed albums

- Sells out tours

- Big but not yet at stadium level

- global platform and recognised brand

- Aware of the festival and would probably like to play it

- Floats between strong sub and polarising headline choice. Would be considered a ‘bump up’ even though he’s actually more current than some of the options we would put forward

In short… someone who right under efestivals nose gets the job.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I never said he wasn’t headliner size, just that he wouldn’t headline Glastonbury. There are plenty of headliner sized acts out there that’ll never do it for one reason or another.

Fair enough, I didn’t really see him as a headliner until today. More because it will be hard to deny he is an option if he smashes Coachella and has another big album under his belt.

I don't necessarily believe he'll headline Glastonbury this year. I don't think they're in the business of copying Coachella's headliners generally. That said, imagine if Glastonbury already had him booked to headline in 2022 and discussions between the two festivals had to take place before Coachella could confirm it? Billie Eilish, Paul McCartney and Harry Styles is an undeniably strong trio, too.

Sorry, I'm just posting from the Matt42 book of thread provocation. 

FWIW, I really think Harry Styles has all the attributes to be the biggest male pop act on the planet. His music isn't necessarily my thing but I appreciate that he's a great talent and seems to tread his own path, and I love that. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

I think Harry Styles subbing Billie Eilish could be inspired...

I just can’t see him subbing Glastonbury and headlining Coachella. He’s a UK act.

I know Tame headlined Coachella and played the Other Stage but Harry Styles is as big in the UK as he is in the states.

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I don't necessarily believe he'll headline Glastonbury this year. I don't think they're in the business of copying Coachella's headliners generally. That said, imagine if Glastonbury already had him booked to headline in 2022 and discussions between the two festivals had to take place before Coachella could confirm it? Billie Eilish, Paul McCartney and Harry Styles is an undeniably strong trio, too.

I’m not seeing 2022, I think Coachella have probably paid him a lot of money to play because they were exhausting options. It may be a one off

but on his next album cycle and tour I think we have to consider him a player.

Edited by Matt42

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I just can’t see him subbing Glastonbury and headlining Coachella. He’s a UK act.

I know Tame headlined Coachella and played the Other Stage but Harry Styles is as big in the UK as he is in the states.

I guess that would depend on what his label would push for but I could see him personally being fine with it. You may well be right though.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not seeing 2022, I think Coachella have probably paid him a lot of money to play because they were exhausting options. It may be a one off

but on his next album cycle and tour I think we have to consider him a player.

Either way, he's a contender for Dental's list...

1 minute ago, Joshuwarr said:

I guess that would depend on what his label would push for but I could see him personally being fine with it. You may well be right though.

I think it’s more likely there is no Glastonbury nexus to this and he isn’t playing. Coachella have contacted him because they want someone big and given him and offer he was up for.

I’m floating his name as an option for the festival another year. Hopefully with another album under his belt.

41 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Harry Styles is that emerging headline option that no one sees coming. Quietly ticking off all of the requirements needed for the job. An oversight by some people who don’t really follow pop, but fits the type of pop booking that Glastonbury actually goes for (aside from Swift).

- Critically acclaimed albums

- Sells out tours

- Big but not yet at stadium level

- global platform and recognised brand

- Aware of the festival and would probably like to play it

- Floats between strong sub and polarising headline choice. Would be considered a ‘bump up’ even though he’s actually more current than some of the options we would put forward

In short… someone who right under efestivals nose gets the job.

Alternatively, and way more likely if there’s a second pop act headlining, it’s Dua Lipa who was going to headline in 2021 and was already booked for the last announced edition of the festival.

He has a new album out in the summer that the label sound confident in, so if he does Pyramid it will be 2023 at the tail end of the campaign. He also has an Oscar-bait movie he's starring in out this year which will be another very good look for him.

It's probably a good shout if the Coachella set goes well and he starts cementing himself as a festival act.

Edited by jannybruck

1 minute ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Alternatively, and way more likely if there’s a second pop act headlining, it’s Dua Lipa who was going to headline in 2021 and was already booked for the last announced edition of the festival.

Dua is a candidate no one is denying but we’ve not heard she’s in line for 2022 and if anything returning to the other stage position. 

The 2021 info could be interpreted in all sorts of ways. The time they were planning the festival was during the worst of the pandemic, the list of acts planning to tour in 2021 was probably extremely slim. I don’t doubt she was an option but it was probably a firebreak.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

See this is why I love you Matt. Four hours ago none of us would entertain the possibility of Harry Styles headlining Glastonbury any time soon.

One Coachella announcement later and you’re giddy at prospect of the next great headliner set.

Never change young man.

Well what else are we going to talk about until the Coachella poster drops?

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dua is a candidate no one is denying but we’ve not heard she’s in line for 2022 and if anything returning to the other stage position. 

The 2021 info could be interpreted in all sorts of ways. The time they were planning the festival was during the worst of the pandemic, the list of acts planning to tour in 2021 was probably extremely slim. I don’t doubt she was an option but it was probably a firebreak.

We have not heard anything about this. You have just repeated it ad infinitum and made up your own reasoning for it.

12 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

We have not heard anything about this. You have just repeated it ad infinitum and made up your own reasoning for it.

She was down for the Saturday last time and she can’t do the Sunday. It just sounds like she’s doing the slot she was doing before. There’s actually nothing to indicate anything different other than someone saying she was thought of as a headliner for 2021.