2022 New Music

Gilgamesh69

8 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Got woken up mega early by my cat jumping all over me so decided to get stuck in to some of the other albums released today before Kendrick dropped:

New Kevin Morby is great. Tbh I don’t think he’s really missed but this one sounded like a particularly good one from him on first listen.

New Florence I enjoyed as well. Huge improvement on the last one I feel and those couple of singles she released still stick out as being some of the best stuff she’s done in ages.

Already given The Smile album a few listens since it leaked and I love it. Seen a few reviews say it could’ve been released as a Radiohead album, and whilst there are definitely a lot of moments that feel that way, I also think it’s looser, groovier and also often more meandering than something Radiohead would release as an album. Should certainly hold us starving Radiohead fans over though for when (or even if…) they release a new album. 

Entirely agree re both Kevin Morby and The Smile. I don't know why but I wasn't expecting much from The Smile, and in fact it's excellent.

What a day. Kendrick continuing his perfect run, The Smile just fantastic as expected. Tank and the Bangas and Obangjayar both bringing the vibes as well and The Black Keys surprisingly good too. 

Nothing has hit the spot for me quite as much as Kevin Morby's new one though. So so good. 

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

What impact will it have on them, chart positions? Doubt The Smile would care about that.

No he's right man. Taylor Swift's career never really recovered the day Red came out the same day as GKMC. RIP Smile 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

What impact will it have on them, chart positions? Doubt The Smile would care about that. 

Idk I don’t think Florence’s album is getting much attention. I would have liked it to at least have a week to itself. 

To echo @FloorFiller@Brave Sir Robin and @PDAD, the new Kevin Morby is great, although in first listen maybe not quite up there with Sundowner, one of my favourite records of the last few years. Really looking forward to seeing him at EOTR. He's not really made a bad record, has he? Love pretty much everything - Singing Saw, City Music etc

13 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

The difference is that Florence and The Smile will have sold physical copies of their album. That counts more towards chart position. So it wont be as drastic as you think when the final tallies come through. If Kendrick had sold something in pre order he would curb stomp everything. Although in the US its gonna be interesting because Bad Bunny is still gonna be up there with sales and streams. 

Edited by Suprefan

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Feel for Florence and the Smile… Kendrick is going to eclipse both

The Smile actually stole a bit of Kendrick's light here by releasing that undeniably excellent album. I adore both albums but The Smile is getting rave reviews and I wouldn't be surprised if my top 2 AOTY were released yesterday. 

Just now, Hutchmaster said:

I think 2022 has already eclipsed 2021 for me albums wise. May alone has been incredibly stacked with Arcade Fire, SVE, Flo & The Smile.

Yeah 2021 didn’t seem to have any all out classic albums imo. This year has already got loads and we’re not even half way. 

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah 2021 didn’t seem to have any all out classic albums imo. This year has already got loads and we’re not even half way. 

I dunno there were a few that I'd stick up there from last year (SIMBI, Silk Sonic, Injury Reserve, MagBay, Gensis Owusu, Peggy)

On 5/14/2022 at 1:22 PM, mcshed said:

In all the Kendrick brew-ha-ha yesterday I didn't get round to listening to the new Quelle Chris until today. On first listen I prefer Chris to Kendrick for my downbeat hip-hop.

Been meaning to get round to this too, Quelle Chris is so damn good. 

Also recommend Obongjayar's debut, he was featured on the Simz album last year:

First bit of info about the new AM album here from Helders. Seems people hoping for a return to the rockin’ bangers are gonna be sorely disappointed: ‘Picks up where TBH&C left off’. Be interesting to see how that goes down at Reading/Leeds (assuming the things out by then):

https://www.nme.com/news/music/matt-helders-on-arctic-monkeys-new-album-its-never-gonna-be-like-r-u-mine-and-all-that-stuff-again-3226299