2022 New Music

Gilgamesh69

Got woken up mega early by my cat jumping all over me so decided to get stuck in to some of the other albums released today before Kendrick dropped:

New Kevin Morby is great. Tbh I don’t think he’s really missed but this one sounded like a particularly good one from him on first listen.

New Florence I enjoyed as well. Huge improvement on the last one I feel and those couple of singles she released still stick out as being some of the best stuff she’s done in ages.

Already given The Smile album a few listens since it leaked and I love it. Seen a few reviews say it could’ve been released as a Radiohead album, and whilst there are definitely a lot of moments that feel that way, I also think it’s looser, groovier and also often more meandering than something Radiohead would release as an album. Should certainly hold us starving Radiohead fans over though for when (or even if…) they release a new album. 

Edited by FloorFiller

Yeah the smile album is killer but I once again am annoyed at myself for istening to all the singles that were released in advance - took the edge off it somewhat. Must show more restraint. 

Edited by stocky3000

52 minutes ago, st dan said:

New Bear’s Den album out today too .. almost missed that!

May has been a superb month for new releases already. 

Yep, that's the first one on my list.  Reckon I can just squeeze it in before my first meeting this morning.

Got half an hour to kill before a 10.00 meeting so decided to stick the new Black Keys album on... four songs in and I am very pleasantly surprised. Kind of lost interest in them after not being massively into the last few albums (Brothers and El Camino were great) but this sounds pretty darn good so far.

Just clocked the smile album release, been really looking forward to this, saw live at worthy Farm and also the live stream concert they did and loved the new songs, that's my afternoon listening in the lorry sorted!

1 hour ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

3 songs into The Smile. 'The Opposite' is an absolute banger!! 

Exceptionally strong start to this album. Can't help but get serious Radiohead vibes...which is no bad thing at all

This is the best output from Radiohead members to date by some distance. 6 or 7 absolute killer tracks with only 1 or 2 (Pana-vision being one) album fillers. 

Literally cannot wait to see them in Edinburgh in 3 weeks. 

41 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Got half an hour to kill before a 10.00 meeting so decided to stick the new Black Keys album on... four songs in and I am very pleasantly surprised. Kind of lost interest in them after not being massively into the last few albums (Brothers and El Camino were great) but this sounds pretty darn good so far.

+1 for this, hardly reinventing the wheel but super bluesy tones and licks throughout. Last couple of records have been a return to form after the dud that was True Blue. 

5 minutes ago, leej7 said:

+1 for this, hardly reinventing the wheel but super bluesy tones and licks throughout. Last couple of records have been a return to form after the dud that was True Blue. 

True Blue was a massive grower for me; really got into it. 

Excited to check out today's release though. 

Florence releasing an Album that takes about religion and the Church/Heaven throughout on Friday 13th is EXACTLY  the kind of genius marketing I am here for! 

surely one of the strongest days for new music in the last 20 years ?! 

8 hours ago, st dan said:

An artist who has totally slipped by me and had a new album our last week - Ethel Cain. She is great and can see a few people on here being a fan of her:

Did this come out last week? Thought it was today. Either way, got it on now and it’s incredible. Really stunning stuff.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Did this come out last week? Thought it was today. Either way, got it on now and it’s incredible. Really stunning stuff.

No you’re right, it was this week! It really is an excellent album. A highlight so far on a ridiculously strong day of releases. 

Can't disagree with what anyone's said about The Smile album - its superb. 

Also enjoyed the 2 EPs by The Blinders (part 2 released today) and The Black Keys album going down well also. Another decent  new release day!

Just now, Dazmandingo96 said:

Monophonics just released a new album called ' Sage Motel'. Curtis Mayfield vibes!

Heard a track from this on 6 music this morning, really good!