How punctual are the coaches?

loc

Hi, I went to Glastonbury once, in 2013. I forgot if the buses were punctual when they leave Glastonbury at the end of the festival. I'm from Holland, and all trains on reasonable hours seem to be sold out already. I have a coach ticket to Victoria Station in London on the 27th of June that is supposed to arrive at Victoria at 09:55 AM. There's a train from St Pancrass that leaves at 11:06. And that's like the ONLY train left. 1:11 hours changing time should be enough, but only if the bus actually arrives at Victoria at 09:55. How big are the odds that it will...? We have three young children tagging along, so we can't really screw this up.

2 hours ago, loc said:

Hi, I went to Glastonbury once, in 2013. I forgot if the buses were punctual when they leave Glastonbury at the end of the festival. I'm from Holland, and all trains on reasonable hours seem to be sold out already. I have a coach ticket to Victoria Station in London on the 27th of June that is supposed to arrive at Victoria at 09:55 AM. There's a train from St Pancrass that leaves at 11:06. And that's like the ONLY train left. 1:11 hours changing time should be enough, but only if the bus actually arrives at Victoria at 09:55. How big are the odds that it will...? We have three young children tagging along, so we can't really screw this up.

Found through experience depart times from the festival vary. Have left both early and late. Queues, coach arrival time, coach park congestion and exit traffic seem to all play there part. Personally I would want a larger gap been arrival at Victoria and St Pancras departure to avoid a nervous sweaty bum coach journey.

When you say the only train left from St Pan leaves at 11:06.. Trains aren't usually available for booking that far out, Typically they get released about 3 months ahead so there may well be more suitable options available.

Where are you actually trying to get to? It varies of course but my general rule of thumb for going anywhere is that going via Central London should be avoided if at all possible..

But yeah, times can vary dramatically.

Friend who's used London coach advises not to rely on arrival time (& festival departure time). Your timed  interval between Victoria arrival and St Pancras departure is doable but tight and needs everything to go perfectly. Need allow 10mins to get baggage off coach &  20mins for tube. From memory Eurostar check in also closes quite some time before stated departure time. Your travel proposal carries a significant risk of going wrong, especially with 3 youngsters to manage too.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

its possible to get an earlier bus though isnt it ? dont they just fill the coaches as people arrive and you don't need to take the allocated one ? ive seen this mentioned .... so might be a possibility ? but id not bank on it 

Seen this mentioned too but have no experience of it. I'd be a bit pissed off if I couldn't get on my allocated coach due to my seat being taken by a "casual". Like you @crazyfool1 I wouldn't rely on it. Maybe it occurs on popular destinations when seats are left available due to booked passengers not turning up? Can others throw any light on this?

@loc Also note recommended check times are subject to on-going covid restrictions. Currently it is recommended passengers arrive at St Pancras 90 -120mins prior to departure to Amsterdam. Obviously this situation is dynamic and will hopefully be improved come June... but it is not guaranteed.

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/your-trip/check-in

On 12/31/2021 at 7:31 PM, incident said:

When you say the only train left from St Pan leaves at 11:06.. Trains aren't usually available for booking that far out, Typically they get released about 3 months ahead so there may well be more suitable options available.

Where are you actually trying to get to? It varies of course but my general rule of thumb for going anywhere is that going via Central London should be avoided if at all possible..

But yeah, times can vary dramatically.

I only know this because I've used it before, but I know there is a 11.06 Eurostar to Amsterdam and OP says they are from Holland, in which case they would need to be through security etc about 30 mins before the train leaves.

If it was me I would be looking at getting a National Express coach at 0600 or perhaps even earlier just to make sure nothing goes wrong then just sleep on the Eurostar back to Amsterdam.

All sorts of factors come into play. 

Dependent on the queues you may not get on your exact allotted coach.

There could be adverse weather conditions which causes delays in coaches getting in and out. 

Your coach could break down (unlikely, but possible)

Basically, my advice would be to get an early a coach as possible to allow for anything to go wrong. You can maybe change your tickets or, you might be able to just show up earlier but there's no guarantee they'd let you on if you're just chancing it. 

4 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Train timetable change in may and December with the updated time not shared until 12 weeks before the change. 

cheaper advanced tickets are around 12 weeks from date of travel 

@dotdash79 For trains within the UK yes but the OP is from The Netherlands and wishes to use the St Pancras International - Amsterdam. Eurostar ticket bookings open at least 6 months in advance and the prices rise with decreasing seat availability (like budget airlines). So booking early usually ensures the cheapest price.