Volunteering 2021

March Hare

1 hour ago, incident said:

I can't remember where I saw this, but I'm sure I've seen it suggested that the (very provisional) target is/was Priority in the last week of Feb, and General in the first week of March.

That would seem logical, they still need to update the website for this year so some of the contracts might still be outstanding. 

Hoping for boomtown, maybe with wilderness as a double header this year. To get priority and set me up with a nice backup plan for 2023!

Edited by Leyrulion

15 hours ago, missnutmeg said:

Am I right in thinking Oxfam volunteering applications usually go live at end Jan/beginning Feb in a ‘normal’ year? 🤔

I checked this last week. According to my emails I got my oxfam 2020 place on February 4th. Hopefully the webiste will go live soon 🤞

17 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Trek back to Oxfield takes sooo long now - wish it was still in Tom's Field...

Even worse when you get to williams green and relise youve left your phone in the tent and have to do the trek twice in 30 degree heat 🤦‍♂️🤣

On 1/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, dondo said:

Ah yes. The tow and hitch, forgot that one. That was great too.  There was a couple of other ones down in the SE corner that weren't too bad either. The one I didn't find/get to was the JP tent one. 

It’s behind the tent - head around the left of the JP and along the fence and entrance is there . It’s a cool vibe with a nice coffee place , bar etc 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/24/2022 at 12:35 AM, marathonsteve said:

Not the Acoustic bar 

They won't allow you in when the fests  starts ; There not getting my hard eared money

They do if you have a band for their bar/ area , it’s tiny from memory . Same as green room in theatre abs circus , you have to have the area bands 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, March Hare said:

Have you tried coming in though Gate C instead of Gate B?  Much faster for that corner of the festival

Yeah tho it depends sometimes on the accuracy of my beer legs after a night of it. Coming straight off shift tho its easier through there yeah.

9 hours ago, gazzared said:

Even worse when you get to williams green and relise youve left your phone in the tent and have to do the trek twice in 30 degree heat 🤦‍♂️🤣

Glad I wasn't working in 2019 as the heat was unbelievable that year - wouldn't have made it I reckon.

16 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Glad I wasn't working in 2019 as the heat was unbelievable that year - wouldn't have made it I reckon.

It definitely got to me. Combined with lack of sleep (our campsite backs onto The Naughty Corner) and the swamp like conditions in the bar tent I was in. They must have put it up when the ground was drenched and that, coupled with the sink just draining onto the floor (bucket emptier not up to the job)... Quagmire to say the least. Needed wellies but it was so hot that you didn't really want to be taking/wearing/carrying wellies so just drenched feet all shift. Probably better off than being outside though. Fuck it was hot. Proper heatstroke risk hot.

I went a bit psychotic at times methinks.

Not that I'm trying to put anyone off volunteering mind. I'd still do it in a flash if I had no ticket.

Just wish they'd move the campsite back to where it was near (ahem) Gate B when I first volunteered, rather than near (ahem, again) Gate C where it is now.

30 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

It definitely got to me. Combined with lack of sleep (our campsite backs onto The Naughty Corner) and the swamp like conditions in the bar tent I was in. They must have put it up when the ground was drenched and that, coupled with the sink just draining onto the floor (bucket emptier not up to the job)... Quagmire to say the least. Needed wellies but it was so hot that you didn't really want to be taking/wearing/carrying wellies so just drenched feet all shift. Probably better off than being outside though. Fuck it was hot. Proper heatstroke risk hot.

I went a bit psychotic at times methinks.

Not that I'm trying to put anyone off volunteering mind. I'd still do it in a flash if I had no ticket.

Just wish they'd move the campsite back to where it was near (ahem) Gate B when I first volunteered, rather than near (ahem, again) Gate C where it is now.

2019 whilst my 6th time on recycling ♻️  crew it was my 1st time in the recycling centre.   It was pretty warm in there at times but it is open on 1 side so was bearable as well as the fact that I started at 7am so the sun wasn't fully up. I certainly preferred it to 2010 when it was scorching and I was doing the actual litter picking. That said, our team leader in 2010 was ace and made sure we had plenty water breaks in the shade.

I did get a bit of heat stroke on the Friday in 2019 so ended up crashing early and took some hydration tablets which thankfully sorted me out for the Saturday morning

• Upvote 1

rehydration salts are a fantastic shout in the heat - i did a hiking marathon in 32 degrees a couple of years ago, ended up drinking somewhere around 12 litres of water and without the rehydration salts, id have been right buggered. wouldnt hugely recommend those conditions, good christ it was hard work - it was about the same sort of temps on the fri and sat of the 2019 festival and without a good floppy hat and some loose clothing (and a lot of water) id have been knackered then. No time for booze when its that hot, i'm a delicate pale celt and i cant manage - pop me in the shade!

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

rehydration salts are a fantastic shout in the heat - i did a hiking marathon in 32 degrees a couple of years ago, ended up drinking somewhere around 12 litres of water and without the rehydration salts, id have been right buggered. wouldnt hugely recommend those conditions, good christ it was hard work - it was about the same sort of temps on the fri and sat of the 2019 festival and without a good floppy hat and some loose clothing (and a lot of water) id have been knackered then. No time for booze when its that hot, i'm a delicate pale celt and i cant manage - pop me in the shade!

Rehydration salts in general are my top tip for a festival. Make it up in a bottle so it's ready before you go to bed. Down it when you get back to the tent. 

I managed to burn myself horrifically on the Wednesday which meant I was just being super careful for the rest of the week. The Glastonbury waterbottle was actually a lifesaver.

43 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

New to these hydration tabs - what do they do - just stop yer kidneys or something?

Replenish electrolytes and minerals. I bought them originally as someone recommended them on here as a good thing to drink before bed to reduce hangover chances. But in the hot weather they were great at hydrating better.