Glastonbury in the metaverse?

dentalplan

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

And, as those aim to serve as the economy of a decentralised internet, there’s some more positive impact to come. Which is why I see it being on-brand for Glastonbury in some shape or form.

That's the difference between Crypto and NFTs as I see it, both see shysters trying to make money out of obvious bubble markets which will lead to those left holding the package when the bubbles burst get absolutely screwed but underneath Crypto there is a sensible idea for a post cash decentralised economy whereas as far as I can see NFTs are just a con.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

That's the difference between Crypto and NFTs as I see it, both see shysters trying to make money out of obvious bubble markets which will lead to those left holding the package when the bubbles burst get absolutely screwed but underneath Crypto there is a sensible idea for a post cash decentralised economy whereas as far as I can see NFTs are just a con.

From an art-buying-and-trading point, NFT’s are a bubble which is absolutely being gamed and is about to burst, and people will be left with pictures they don’t want. But it’ll do what crypto did in bursting and then the purpose gradually evolving. It is, after all, a token of ownership. There’ll always be a market for that so the concept won’t die.

• 5 months later...

Ok Adam!

But this topic really interests me (virtual Glasto, not crypto)

With the way machine learning is going, it not unfeasible in the near future we could quite easily just ask for a virtual glastonbury, and because of all the thousands of hours of video and countless photo's there are out there, the computer could knock one up quite easily. Especially if it factors in things like ordinance survey and aerial photo's.

We're not near it yet, but who knows

I don't think so. If people wanted these types of digital experiences there would already be an established market for them. Sure VR is more immersive but people will still expect experiences outside the norm of day to day life. Once the novelty wears off nobody is going to want to sit in a metaverse bar, go to a metaverse festival, or do their shopping in the metaverse. People will want to have adventures, to steal cars, to have fights and shoot people. They'll want the type of excitement that they cant get in everyday life. Probably you'll be able to watch concerts in VR. That demand clearly exists in the form of recorded concerts. But there is no demand for a Glasto 'wandering around stoned' sim or most of these other metaverse ideas.

I could very easily see NFT / Blockchain tech being used for Real Glasto ticketing in future. Obviously they would want a layer 1 that is eco friendly and all that but while the million dollar JPEG use of NFT tech is utter nonsense I see concert tickets using it to the advantage of both fans and artists with the smart contract terms you can build in.

Do I see the potential for a purely digital Glasto? I was going to say no but honestly given the global brand juggernaut it has become in recent years I honestly can. Would I use it? No. But if it found a way of taking the feeling, ethos, hedonism and long drop smell to those who simply can’t attend attend for real then I can’t see why that’s a bad thing. I just can’t see people spending a weekend watching digital representations of bands or videos in that way. There is a big difference between going and doing the thing and sitting in your living room or study and watching it like a Netflix series or like a video game.

(yes we all did that in 2020 but that’s a bit different)