Album of the Month Tournament - 2021 Grand Finale Vote

dentalplan

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Erm, you can't vote for albums that aren't on there mate. You can on the other thread.

2 hours ago, nikkic said:

Because she wasn’t one of the favourite 3 efests albums that month. 

41 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

And because she smells.

I’ve been on the drink since midday

Little Simz - SIMBI

Self Esteem - Prioritize Pleasure

For Those I Love - For Those I Love

Dave - We're All Alone In This Together

Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams

If I had remembered to vote in the freeform one only Arlo Parks would have missed out on her top 5 spot but she probably would have been in my top 10 so us efesters summed up the year well. 

Roll up, roll up... for your Eurovision-style end-of-year finale of the Album of the Month competition. The Borda count alternative to your actual favourite albums!

First of all, there are no "nul points!" here as everyone got a vote in the end. Some like St. Vincent, Iceage, Snapped Ankles and Nation of Language got a solitary vote. I think the biggest loser this year has to be Iceage, having won the May AOTM and coming back to the final to only get one 4th place vote (from me!) in abject humiliation.

The points (Appendix 1) do seem fairly evenly spread until you get to the top few names, which is interesting to see.

Anyway, here are your top ten...

Tiebreak criteria:
* Most first-place choices
* Same first and second-place choices, most third-place choices

10. Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams
(18 points)

The pandemic needed a British breakout music star and, as milquetoast as Joe Wicks baking a banana bread, Arlo Parks strides into your living rooms. In 2021, she came back to collect. Releasing a hit album and securing a Mercury Prize win, she is your number 10.

9. The Killers - Pressure Machine
(23 points*)

The Killers renaissance on eFestivals continues, as the headliners of last actual Glastonbury years ago are your 9th place finisher. The bright light city rockers serve up a slice of shadowy small-town Americana; winning the August poll and standing firm at the end of the year with a respectable placing.

8. Turnstile - Glow On
(23 points*)

Benefiting from the tie-break I just made up, in at 8th is Maryland Hardcore outfit Turnstile. In probably the most surprising inclusion in the top 10, they crept in at third in the August (beaten by The Killers) and then began accruing more votes from late-listeners. And deservedly so, with a fantastic album under their belts.

7. The War on Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore
(25 points**)

Despite having to remortgage your house to pay for the album on vinyl, enough of you listened and the Philly dad-rockers are woo-wooing and fist-pumping into your list at number 7.

6. Bicep - Isles
(25 points**)

Your January winners showed their muscle and flexed the... I know fuck all about this lot. It's Isles by Bicep at number 6.

5. Idles - Crawler
(30 points)

After embarrassingly shitting the bed in 2020, the famous big and tall t-shirt brand Idles came screaming back onto your airwaves with fourth album Crawler. Turned out they actually had something still left to say, and you listened, and you voted, and it is number 5.

4. For Those I Love - For Those I Love
(31 points)

Quite the contentious album around these parts recently but David Balfe's sorrowful debut has made its mark on you lot and places highly among your cherished albums of the year.

3. Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure
(43 points)

Fast increase in points for the former Slow Club singer. Self Esteem could hardly be higher in your lists, as the artist formerly known as Rebecca Lucy Taylor breaks into your top three.

2. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
(52 points)

Sometimes I Might Be Introvert, sometimes she might be in your 'Recently Played'. Well, a lot of the time I guess as a lot of people really loved this album. Plenty of you followed Simbi down the rabbit hole and found yourself choosing her as your second place album of the year 2021.

1. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
(103 points)

And I thought I was mistaken? And I thought I heard you speak? Make absolutely no mistake, Wolf Alice is your album of the month of the year. Look at the fucking points. It was never in doubt, was it?

The quintessential eFestivals Glastonbury section band takes down the album of the year vote (probably on this one and the other thread) emphatically. Big claps to Ellie, Joff, Joel and Theo for prevailing with their fourth album and landing this prestigious prize.

Now we can stop listening to music released in 2021, seeing as there is no longer a point since we've decided our favourite. Go do something else for the day. Shoo!

Full placings:

1. Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend    103
2. Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert    52
3. Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure    43
4. For Those I Love - For Those I Love    31
5. Idles - Crawler    30
6. Bicep - Isles    25
7. The War on Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore    25
8. Turnstile - Glow On    23
9. The Killers - Pressure Machine    23
10. Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams    18
11. Mogwai - As the Love Continues    18
12. The Vaccines - Back In Love City    18
13. Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark    17
14. Black Country, New Road - For the First Time    17
15. Royal Blood - Typhoons    14
16. Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power    13
17. Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over the Country Club    13
18. Biffy Clyro - The Myth of the Happily Ever After    12
19. The Coral - Coral Island    11
20. Dave - We're All Alone In This Together    11
21. Elbow - Flying Dreams 1    10
22. Lucy Dacus - Home Video    10
23. Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage    10
24. Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg    8
25. Shame - Drunk Tank Pink    8
26. Inhaler - It Won't Always Be Like This    7
27. Low - Hey What    7
28. Squid - Bright Green Field    5
29. Red Rum Club - How to Steal the World    4
30. Sault - 9    4
31. Iceage - Seek Shelter    2
32. St. Vincent - Daddy's Home    2
33. Nation of Language - A Way Forward    1
34. Snapped Ankles - Forest of Your Problems    1

Edited by dentalplan
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 10

I can't believe Little Simz didn't walk that. I feel like I am missing something with Wolf Alice. I like it, I even like it enough that I bought it on vinyl but I don't think it would even make my top 10. It's just one of many good albums released this year for me. 

Still 2,3 and 4 are my 1, 2 and 3 so that will have to do for me.