Glastonbury 2022 - Solo

Amms

Hey! I am going to Glasto 2022 with some of my family members and our music tastes are so different. I don't want to be going to places on my own and was just wondering if there was any way for me to make friends with anyone going my age 🙂

There will be an EFests meet early on which is a chance to buddy up with some like minded souls.  But don't worry, Glastonbury is a very easy place to meet people and make friends.  It might be those camping around you - help them put up their tents or offer a cup of coffee or randoms you meet just sitting around.  Simple questions like: "Who are you hoping to see?" can be easy conversation starters.

I went for a walk round a local park today with Mrs GH and I was saying to her that the park was similar to Glastonbury in that you can strike up conversations with strangers, at which point a woman walking her dog near us stopped and said: "I agree, Glastonbury's great for that.  I've got my ticket."

Edited by grumpyhack

There’s also a regular virtual meet where a few of us get online and chat about all sorts of randomness but generally about the festival. 

It’s a great way of getting to know people on the forum before we can all meet in person. 

There’s a thread around here somewhere. 

On 10/24/2021 at 5:32 PM, Amms said:

Hey! I am going to Glasto 2022 with some of my family members and our music tastes are so different. I don't want to be going to places on my own and was just wondering if there was any way for me to make friends with anyone going my age 🙂

So what are your musical tastes then that make them different to the rest of the family?

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Steffi051 said:

hi ive found myself going solo this year and a little worried too found myself watching anything and everything in 2019 just wandering its amazing x 

We’ve seen, met and chatted with many going solo every year. It’s sounds corny but you are never alone at the festival. And yes, just wandering is amazing! 

1 hour ago, Steffi051 said:

hi ive found myself going solo this year and a little worried too found myself watching anything and everything in 2019 just wandering its amazing x 

Anything particular that’s a worry ? Use the free lockups if you have any security worries … chat to your neighbours and within an hour I’m sure you will become friends with camping neighbours … there will also be some solo camping groups that spring up closer to the fest so stick around and you’ll spot them 

• 3 weeks later...

You actually already have the perfect way to do Glastonbury. 

When you are there with others, there is so much going on that whatever you land at you either end up wanting to hang about somewhere because you are enjoying it, but have a nagging feeling the person you’re with doesn’t, OR, want to move on & see what else is happening but think the person you’re with, looks to be really into it where you are.

When you are on your own, you can stay where you want to stay, & move when you want to move. There is always someone to talk to nearby, in fact, there’s usually someone who will joyfully hug you!

However, on my own I have always missed just having someone to chat to about my day when I get back to my tent at the end of it - & you have that too.

Its going to be perfect!

• Upvote 1

I have done most of my Glastonburys solo working on the recycling crew.

It has its pros and cons

The pros are flexibility and being able to see the acts you want to see or just have a bimble around if you want to.  Even though I go on my own I have friends I have made on the recycling crew as well as other friends that have tickets that I will meet up with/bump into.  This will be further widened by getting to know people on here on the virtual meets who I'll hopefully catch up with too.  I find this a really good mix.

Cons are sometimes if you are on your own and watching an act that has put on a great show you kinda wish you were with family/friends to share the moment.  I miss a bit of the social part of being back at the tent if you're camping on your own- though the recycling crew has a good bar/catering tent to wander down to.

Hi,

This'll be my 6th time at Glasto, but the first where the majority of it will be spent solo. I have no concerns about the solo aspect as there's always people to talk to wherever you go, it's just that sort of place.

I'm definitely seeing it as an opportunity to meet new people though, so I'm hoping that some meets are get arranged for other solo Glasto goers? I'm told this is the best place to find that 🙂

I’ve never been solo but probably one of my best ever nights happened after i split with friends in 2014 and then couldn’t find them post storm. Settled into Arcade Fire by myself feeling a bit down, by the end of it I’d met 3 people (one solo) and then spent until the sun came up partying with them in the SE corner. I’m still friends with those people to this day and see them outside of Glasto. I’d have never considered going solo before I went but I would now in a heartbeat if that was my only option.

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Amy M said:

i am also going solo and really starting to feel nervous about it. it would be great to find others to meet with.

I wouldn't meet up with anyone from these forums 😅 but play it by ear when you get there and you'll naturally find the people that suit you. But I would definitely recommend spending time on your own and having random convos with people on the fly. It's so liberating, and when I went on my own in 2008 I had the best time ever. Of you're on your Todd, you don't have to compromise with anything. Either way, you'll have a mind expanding experience (not saying you'll definitely have a great time because some people hate it, like a girl I went with once). Rambling a bit now, but you get what I'm saying. Peace.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Nice to meet you all.

I am going to Glastonbury 2022 solo this year, as I was meant to be going with a two friends who are a couple, and their dog is very ill and having an operation the day before Glastonbury so they can't come.

I was wondering if there are any groups for solo goers that I could join?

Best wishes,

Francesca

1 hour ago, FranRB said:

Hello!

Nice to meet you all.

I am going to Glastonbury 2022 solo this year, as I was meant to be going with a two friends who are a couple, and their dog is very ill and having an operation the day before Glastonbury so they can't come.

I was wondering if there are any groups for solo goers that I could join?

Best wishes,

Francesca

Hi Francesca,

I’m solo as well! Every Glastonbury I go to has had fewer people in my group and now it’s just me (because my wife is awesome and is looking after our kids on the other side of the world).

There are many others going solo as well. What I think would be great is if we create a WhatsApp group. As well being able to arrange meet ups it would be awesome to have a place to share the random things we all encounter that we would normally chat with our group about. 

Right now for example I just had a transcendent mozzarella sandwich in London and I need to talk about it.

M