What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2022?

kalifire

1 hour ago, Fishman said:

Yep, putting away the Christmas stuff in the loft and rearranging the stuff so the Glastonbury bags are now at the front. Not brave enough to check for moths yet. 

Did exactly the same. The Xmas stuff now behind the camping gear. Had a look at it and decided to buy new sleeping bags , rectangular ones to replaced those mummy style ones .  

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Did exactly the same. The Xmas stuff now behind the camping gear. Had a look at it and decided to buy new sleeping bags , rectangular ones to replaced those mummy style ones .  

Sleeping pods are great but they don’t seem to pack so small … forgets you are in the luxury’s of worthy view x 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:30 PM, crazyfool1 said:

Steer clear of the mallets it gives gut rot … on a serious note I don’t think I’ve ever needed a mallet although the year with the biodegradable tent pegs it might have helped possibly ? One extra thing you don’t need to carry 

Oh the biodegradable tent peg year! Was that 2008 or 2009? Made of potato starch. A freebie handed out to protect the cows but useless on the baked earth of Worthy Farm. Fields echoed to ouches and screams as they shattered at the very touch of a boot or mallet sending their schrapnel far and wide 🤕

18 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Sleeping pods are great but they don’t seem to pack so small … forgets you are in the luxury’s of worthy view x 

Yes that’s correct.  We can’t be seen at WV with any old survival sleeping bag. So we have to upgrade, perhaps something filled with duck feathers to go with our duck egg omelette breakfast. 😉

Considered new bed arrangements for GF22. I'm normally totally fine with a good quality airbed and my very good sleeping bag. However I went camping last year and it was the first time I thought - I am definitely not comfy (may have been the tabs wearing off...).

Do any of you use a camping bed or anything different to the standard airbed? 

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Considered new bed arrangements for GF22. I'm normally totally fine with a good quality airbed and my very good sleeping bag. However I went camping last year and it was the first time I thought - I am definitely not comfy (may have been the tabs wearing off...).

Yes - I switched to a proper camp bed about 7 or 8 years ago and am a vocal advocate of them.

Even the basic 15-20 quid from Argos or any Camping Store type are a vast improvement on an airbed and not much heavier - the only downside being that they're a bit narrower than I'd like which may or may not be a problem depending on how you sleep.

Because of that, I switched to something a shade wider - specifically a Kampa Slumber Plus which is the same design but a bit bigger and heavier.

Can also get ultralight models made of aluminium, which I tried out but felt were quite unstable.

The only downside I currently have is that if you're pitched on stony ground then there's a risk that the metal legs on one side and stone on the other will cause holes in the bottom of the tent - not a problem at Glastonbury or most festivals but I did experience that at Boomtown.

2 hours ago, incident said:

Yes - I switched to a proper camp bed about 7 or 8 years ago and am a vocal advocate of them.

Even the basic 15-20 quid from Argos or any Camping Store type are a vast improvement on an airbed and not much heavier - the only downside being that they're a bit narrower than I'd like which may or may not be a problem depending on how you sleep.

Because of that, I switched to something a shade wider - specifically a Kampa Slumber Plus which is the same design but a bit bigger and heavier.

Can also get ultralight models made of aluminium, which I tried out but felt were quite unstable.

The only downside I currently have is that if you're pitched on stony ground then there's a risk that the metal legs on one side and stone on the other will cause holes in the bottom of the tent - not a problem at Glastonbury or most festivals but I did experience that at Boomtown.

Thank you 🙂 I'll look into this. I'm torn between a camping bed or actually covering an airbed with a bed sheet/putting yoga matts underneath it.

I like being able to spread out and not be confined to a narrow sleeping bag so used to opt for a double air bed and double sleeping bag.  Most important is also a decent pillow, not just a bundle of clothes to rest your head on.  Given that you're there for the best part of a week a decent sleep matters.

8 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Yes! I've got a camp bed, that I added a thin air mattress to in 2019, with a Silent Night sleeping pod. Bit hefty to carry but worth it... maybe next time I'll remember a decent pillow though!!

26 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Yes! I've got a camp bed, that I added a thin air mattress to in 2019, with a Silent Night sleeping pod. Bit hefty to carry but worth it... maybe next time I'll remember a decent pillow though!!

Mattress similar to this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPLUS-Inflatable-Backpacking-Waterproof-Lightweight/dp/B08XXPWXQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=2QNULT809HLG7&keywords=thin+air+mattress&qid=1641508591&sprefix=thin+a%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-6

I'm terrible for pillows. I've relied on the built-in one which is part of the air bed. I'm gong full on comfort this year.

It's a sign of age as I'm pre-empting that my old methods won't work. Definitely leaning toward a camping bed. 

5 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPLUS-Inflatable-Backpacking-Waterproof-Lightweight/dp/B08XXPWXQ6/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=2QNULT809HLG7&keywords=thin+air+mattress&qid=1641508591&sprefix=thin+a%2Caps%2C120&sr=8-6

I'm terrible for pillows. I've relied on the built-in one which is part of the air bed. I'm gong full on comfort this year.

It's a sign of age as I'm pre-empting that my old methods won't work. Definitely leaning toward a camping bed. 

Yeah, it's very similar to that, that's better as it has a pillow! Mine didn't. The camp bed I had was like a 'X' frame too so nothing dug into you. 

11 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Pillow is an absolute game changer, personally would take it over an air bed (it basically weighs nothing, air beds are a pain). So easy to just attach one to your main rucksack or throw on top of the trolley.

Edited by gfa
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Pillow is an absolute game changer, personally would take it over an air bed (it basically weighs nothing, air beds are a pain). So easy to just attach one to your main rucksack or throw on top of the trolley.

I was gobsmacked at my friend bringing one to wilderness this year, now on my packing list as I was jealous.

I’ve been booked by (normal) work boss to attend a week long online global sales conference during Glasto week.

So texted my Glasto boss and he confirmed that I have a guaranteed Glasto job. 😁😁😁

On Monday I will book annual leave and then take enormous delight in declining the sales conference. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2