Pitchfork Top 200

nikkic

15 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

haha can't say i thought any of those. But Arctic Monkeys debut and Is This It are criminally low. Added to Back to Black is too low too. Pitchfork 200 is basically 6Music 200 though isn't it.

Haha I know, I'm yanking ya. Is This It is #8 though! 

I have 16/200

I never read pitchfork, except occasionally a review when they absolutely slate someone. I don’t consider myself a fan of ‘indie rock’.

I expect if Kerrang did a similar list, I’d score way higher…

Can’t believe Lateralus isn’t there, given the the rave review they gave it.

And I guess the readers got the memo on Sun Kil Moon.

6 hours ago, kalifire said:

When people say they ‘have’ a number of these albums, what do they mean? A physical copy? I stream everything and don’t have anything. 

I took it to mean have in physical form, iTunes library or have streamed at least a few times. Albums you’ve spent time with, basically.

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I took it to mean have in physical form, iTunes library or have streamed at least a few times. Albums you’ve spent time with, basically.

Yes, for me it's own or have bought a copy in the past - I used to buy a lot of CDs, they have since all gone to eBay / Oxfam. I still buy vinyl.

But on a broader sense it is albums I 'know' in that I have listened to them on many occasions and have familiarity with them, and I guess at least like them. I have certainly listened to quite a few more on this list once or twice to see if they pass the taste test, but if they haven't, I wouldn't count them.

Looking at the list again, in some respects it's very narrow, almost nothing originating outside North America & the UK. Musical genres even narrower. 

The ones on the list I've really played many, many times:

Let England Shake

Fever To Tell

Funeral

Elephant

Vampire Weekend

Soft Bulletin

Norman Fucking Rockwell

OK Computer

Skeleton Tree

Time Out Of Mind

Golden Hour

Fleet Foxes

In Rainbows

And almost certainly the most played:

Songs For The Deaf

23 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

my beautiful dark twisted fantasy is not even in Kanye's top 4 albums

MBDTF > College Dropout > Yeezus > Late Registration > Graduation > Watch The Throne > Pablo > 808s > the rest

(for me)

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Looking at the list again, in some respects it's very narrow, almost nothing originating outside North America & the UK. Musical genres even narrower. 

Certainly an accurate assertion, but surely that has always been what Pitchfork are about -  indie / alternative, with the hipsters choice of hiphop and pop. 

Got 106 of the 200 in my streaming library. Part of me feels I should go and add the stuff I'm missing, but realistically am I actually going to listen to any of it? Or will it just become yet more stuff I add then scroll past when looking for something to listen?

I don't do well when I have too much choice. Which is why buying food at Glastonbury is a nightmare.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Got 106 of the 200 in my streaming library. Part of me feels I should go and add the stuff I'm missing, but realistically am I actually going to listen to any of it? Or will it just become yet more stuff I add then scroll past when looking for something to listen?

I don't do well when I have too much choice. Which is why buying food at Glastonbury is a nightmare.

Ah you basically have my approach to albums then!

The food thing I get round by just eating all of it. Presents its own challenges admittedly...

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Do you end up leaving glastonbury with the sudden realisation you have not eaten anything due to making a choice.

I have done this in my younger days but because I hung out with a few folk with big bags of speed, although I am sure I would have eaten just not very much