Pitchfork Top 200

nikkic

11 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

I took it to mean have in physical form, iTunes library or have streamed at least a few times. Albums you’ve spent time with, basically.

Yes, for me it's own or have bought a copy in the past - I used to buy a lot of CDs, they have since all gone to eBay / Oxfam. I still buy vinyl.

But on a broader sense it is albums I 'know' in that I have listened to them on many occasions and have familiarity with them, and I guess at least like them. I have certainly listened to quite a few more on this list once or twice to see if they pass the taste test, but if they haven't, I wouldn't count them.

Looking at the list again, in some respects it's very narrow, almost nothing originating outside North America & the UK. Musical genres even narrower. 

The ones on the list I've really played many, many times:

Let England Shake

Fever To Tell

Funeral

Elephant

Vampire Weekend

Soft Bulletin

Norman Fucking Rockwell

OK Computer

Skeleton Tree

Time Out Of Mind

Golden Hour

Fleet Foxes

In Rainbows

And almost certainly the most played:

Songs For The Deaf

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Looking at the list again, in some respects it's very narrow, almost nothing originating outside North America & the UK. Musical genres even narrower. 

Certainly an accurate assertion, but surely that has always been what Pitchfork are about -  indie / alternative, with the hipsters choice of hiphop and pop. 

Got 106 of the 200 in my streaming library. Part of me feels I should go and add the stuff I'm missing, but realistically am I actually going to listen to any of it? Or will it just become yet more stuff I add then scroll past when looking for something to listen?

I don't do well when I have too much choice. Which is why buying food at Glastonbury is a nightmare.

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Got 106 of the 200 in my streaming library. Part of me feels I should go and add the stuff I'm missing, but realistically am I actually going to listen to any of it? Or will it just become yet more stuff I add then scroll past when looking for something to listen?

I don't do well when I have too much choice. Which is why buying food at Glastonbury is a nightmare.

Ah you basically have my approach to albums then!

The food thing I get round by just eating all of it. Presents its own challenges admittedly...

34 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Do you end up leaving glastonbury with the sudden realisation you have not eaten anything due to making a choice.

I have done this in my younger days but because I hung out with a few folk with big bags of speed, although I am sure I would have eaten just not very much

10 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Do you end up leaving glastonbury with the sudden realisation you have not eaten anything due to making a choice.

I have done this in my younger days but because I hung out with a few folk with big bags of speed, although I am sure I would have eaten just not very much

I'm usually terrified of making a bad choice... so I make none.

Had the idea last time of photographing stalls I liked the look of so I could go back to them when I was round that way.

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Had the idea last time of photographing stalls I liked the look of so I could go back to them when I was round that way.

Oh I am  know for my research into the various choices, of most things, to the point of annoyance. There is too much choice today.

I am getting better and gen eral find it does not matter too much with most things.

I am better at the food at Glastonbury though and now delve in without issue, most everything is great so not too much of a problem. It can depend on queues though. Big queue, not a chance this time around

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

There are times in life when I exercise restraint, and Glastonbury isn't one of them. If I see something I fancy (generally a newer one rather than old well known favourites) I'll grab it and find space.

One of the guys I saw SRC with last week that I normally do Glastonbury with said it was weird to be watching a band with me and for me not to have food on the go.

17 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Got about 500 albums in my library.

Probably listen to about 50 regularly, probably never listened to at least half of my library.

Yep I have lots of vinyl that is still in the plastic wrapping but I have bought most of my collection in the last 2 years (it's where my gig ticket money has gone!) and with work being busy, recovering dogs in playpens taking up most of my living space etc I just don't get time to listen to the vinyl versions (I have streamed all of them extensively) I buy my vinyl mainly to support the artists anyway. 

Food at Glastonbury though mate you just need to bite the bullet (or preferably something more tasty than a bullet) If you are unsure, just buy some of the smaller side dishes from more places but it's too good to be missing although I get what you mean about agony of choice. As a vegetarian of over 30 years I can find myself deeply conflicted when I have menus with more than 2 options. 

51 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

As a vegetarian of over 30 years I can find myself deeply conflicted when I have menus with more than 2 options. 

Oh dear god this.

I'm simultaneously stuck between being a rabbit in the headlights and wanting to get up and hug the chef.

Where I live there are still country pubs that have *no* veggie options and the rest you have to make do with sodding mushroom risotto.

20 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Oh dear god this.

I'm simultaneously stuck between being a rabbit in the headlights and wanting to get up and hug the chef.

Where I live there are still country pubs that have *no* veggie options and the rest you have to make do with sodding mushroom risotto.

Or the most god awful vegetarian lasagnes!! Things have come on a long way since I became vegetarian but yes when I go places where I can have anything it can feel a bit like too much choice. I remember going to hotels in the 90's that had no veggie option and wanted to charge me the same money for a 3 egg omelette or a stir fry (the only options that they could come up with) as they were charging other people for steaks. 

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

and wanted to charge me the same money for a 3 egg omelette or a stir fry (the only options that they could come up with) as they were charging other people for steaks

Yep, had similar experiences back then too! I once asked a pub which had no veggie food on the menu if they could knock up an omelette and the barmaid came back to say that they couldn't do it because chef didn't know how to make one. Bit of a low point...why would you admit to that?!

The sheer variety of veggie options at Glasto is stunning and I could murder a Manic Organic curry for lunch now that I'm thinking about it, I need to get their mango chutney recipe...what extra ingredient is it that makes it so stunning?!

(Oh, and to keep it on topic, 31/200 for me. Clearly I'm not as much of a Pitchfork consumer as I thought I was.)

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Food at Glastonbury though mate you just need to bite the bullet (or preferably something more tasty than a bullet) If you are unsure, just buy some of the smaller side dishes from more places but it's too good to be missing although I get what you mean about agony of choice. As a vegetarian of over 30 years I can find myself deeply conflicted when I have menus with more than 2 options. 

I only tend to eat a couple of meals a day at GF. So picking from everything that's available is always a big deal, don't want to waste a meal and money on something rubbish when there could be something amazing around the corner.