Album of the month tournament - October

gigpusher

Putting the thread up early because my end of October is going to be bat shit mental and I will forget otherwise but I will be on holiday for the first few weeks of November and in the middle of nowhere so hopefully plenty of time to tot up the scores. 

Your chances of witty comments regarding the artists will improve significantly if you pick artists I have actually heard of!

Here is a reminder of the rules:

• Contest window: Any album released or due to be released in October 2021.
  • Entry window: from November 1 2021, 00:00 BST to November 5 2021, 00:00 ET.
  • The system: Choose no more and no less than three albums released during the month in question, listed in order of preference.  The best receives three points, second best two points and the third best one point. See example below:

1. Album A (3 POINTS)
2. Album B (2 POINTS)
3. Album C (1 POINT)

• If you post three albums without specifying an order, it will be assumed that it is from best to worst.
  • If you post fewer than three albums, you'll be ignored and shunned by society (maybe not shunned but at least looked at sternly)
  • No voting transfers from those who don't pick their full 3 albums

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

1. Magdalena Bay (probs my AOTY absolutely love it)

2. Lil Ugle Mane 

3. Grouper 

What??  You're voting before hearing the new Sheeran one on Friday!

Joking aside, Magdalena Bay is easily my album of the month at the moment and also high on my AOTY list (as good as it is I can't see it knocking Blue Weekend off my top spot)  Thanks for the recommendation as it would probably have passed me by otherwise 👍

3 hours ago, circus92 said:

What??  You're voting before hearing the new Sheeran one on Friday!

Joking aside, Magdalena Bay is easily my album of the month at the moment and also high on my AOTY list (as good as it is I can't see it knocking Blue Weekend off my top spot)  Thanks for the recommendation as it would probably have passed me by otherwise 👍

Yeah, I think many of us won’t have to worry about listening to the new Sheeran album before posting their top three haha.

Won’t stop it selling by the boat load though.

1. Wiki - Half God

2. Grouper - Shade

3. Parquet Courts - Sympathy For Life

Notable mentions for Vanishing Twin, Dean Blunt, Sault and Lewsberg whose album just popped up on Bandcamp and sounds great on first listen.

Maybe also Ty Segall but won't hear that in full until tomorrow. 

On 10/28/2021 at 8:49 AM, John the Moth said:

Cradle of Filth might mix that up 🙂

It would indeed mix it up but I’m not a fan.

Mastodon would probably have made it but it didn’t get released until yesterday and I’m unable to listen to it. I’m currently in Amsterdam and have left my EarPods at home so Mastodon will be my November listening. (I’m sure I’ll have plenty here to keep me busy without needing the new Mastodon to keep me stimulated, haha)

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

@gigpusher do you remember what three albums won this when calculated?

I think it might have been Self Esteem, Biffy Clyro and The War on Drugs.

The opening post that @found home in 2009managed to find for the other AOTY tournament thread has it as those three, I’m not sure what order though.