Heavy Music Releases Discussion

Andre91

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m three songs in and I really can’t stand it so far. So bland. 

Spit The Bone is terrible. 

Back half is definitely better for me.

I've not really been a "fan" since Hollow Crown anyway and have a hard time distinguishing the albums as it is. That last one felt like a step too far away, don't mind this at all - but may skip them at Download since I'm seeing them with Biffy in a couple weeks.

I’ve listened to the album three times today and I’ve collected my thoughts on it: 

This album is a stinker

I moaned about the Parkway album being dull and one paced a few weeks ago (I’ve actually come to quite like about half of that record since due to listening to it on shuffle, something I usually would never do) but, Jesus, this album is the same thing again and again and again. 

Every vocal melody on this album has been done by them before (sometimes on songs a track or two previous), every riff is a slight variation on what they did on their last album (and the singles from this, obvs) and the lyrics, my god. They are absolutely meaningless. I genuinely have little idea what the hell they’re even on about for the vast majority of this record. It’s just metaphor after metaphor of absolute meaningless *****. I know they’ve always relied heavily on metaphor but this is another level. It’s nonsensical. I have listened to it three times and I remember virtually nothing from any of these songs.

There’s a song on here that I think is the worst thing they’ve ever put their name to. After talking about how much he doesn’t want to do the BLEGH anymore in the lead up to their last record  etc. etc., he does it three songs into this album and it sounds so tacked on and forced, almost like it is someone doing an impression. It’s fucking dire. The same song has a vocal pattern and riff that is a carbon copy of Dear Diary from the last BMTH album. They’ve tried something different on the closing track but I think it is a complete flop. 

This album is a 3/10 and I really cannot believe just how much I dislike it. 

I really hope that all of the people who complained that the Slipknot album sounds like a band that has run out of ideas and sounds phoned in have the same things to say about this Architects record. 

Listening to the Architects album now and, my opinion of it aside (too early to say, but probably not good…) it’s kinda interesting how when many of these metalcore bands started dropping a lot of their heavier elements and introducing more radio friendly elements they essentially start sounding like Linkin Park, or at least like they’re heavily influenced by them. Started with BMTH’s Throne sounding like a reworking of Faint and has been pretty noticeable in a few acts over the last few years. 

@Andre91 see, I can't disagree with much of that assessment, but I feel that way about almost everything Architects have done. It all largely sounds the same and blurs into one for me, I can't tell you what songs are from what albums beyond Hollow Crown (only because it was the one I listened to a lot at the time). For Those... stands out more than any but not necessarily for the better, I know a lot of fans hated it. 

But yeah, this is definitely up there with the worst examples of that, they picked a guitar tone and ran with it. I actually don't mind it at all because that's so common in heavy music (Diamond Eyes is a personal favourite Deftones record) but then again, I wouldn't call myself an Architects fan in the first place so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a heavier albums of the year list?

Currently got The 1975, Kid Kapichi, Fontaines DC, Foals & Arcade Fire in my albums of the year as not loads standing out.

Think LS Dunes and Architects could sneak in on the heavier side of things. I’ve enjoyed the new Rammstein, Muse, MGK, Bob Vylan, Cancer Bats, Dune Rats, Frank Turner, The Chats, The Mysterines, Avril Lavigne, Yungblud, The Interrupters, Korn & Machine Head albums. They’re all good but not quite album of the year good for me as they’re not standing out so wanted to know if there’s anything else on the heavier side for inspiration that I may have missed? 

22 hours ago, foolee said:

Does anyone have a heavier albums of the year list?

Currently got The 1975, Kid Kapichi, Fontaines DC, Foals & Arcade Fire in my albums of the year as not loads standing out.

Think LS Dunes and Architects could sneak in on the heavier side of things. I’ve enjoyed the new Rammstein, Muse, MGK, Bob Vylan, Cancer Bats, Dune Rats, Frank Turner, The Chats, The Mysterines, Avril Lavigne, Yungblud, The Interrupters, Korn & Machine Head albums. They’re all good but not quite album of the year good for me as they’re not standing out so wanted to know if there’s anything else on the heavier side for inspiration that I may have missed? 

Russian Circles - Gnosis (prog, at ATG next year)

Lamb of God - Omens (sounds like more LoG, great to me, meh to others)

Porcupine Tree - CLOSURE / CONTINUATION (more prog, not that heavy, 11 year reunion)

Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture (bonkers avant garde scotch metal)

AOTY: Fleshwater, Anxious, Chastity, No Pressure, Russian Circles, The Wonder Years, Mall Grab, Underoath, Counterparts, Malevolence, Alexisonfire

Others: Joey Valence & Brae, Tigers Jaw, Hammok, Enter Shikari, Bartees Strange, Scene Queen, The Scratch, END, Witch Fever, Feverchild, Hundred Reasons, They Fell From The Sky, Jaws Of Life

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If you’re after new female fronted bands. As everything unfolds is incredible. They’ve just finished touring with enter shikari . Incredible . Their debut album release is due next month and here is their latest single 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

(Most of) the remaining members of Every Time I Die and Greg Puciato have formed a new band and released their first single, and not that it needed to be said, but it rips. Dream team up for me so looking forward to hearing what else comes from them and hopefully we get a tour in the not too distant future: