Heavy Music Releases Discussion

Andre91

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

What a weekend, eh. I have spent all weekend listening to new releases and it’s been fantastic. On top of those you’ve mentioned, Can’t Swim have brought a record out this week which is decent. Slow Crush and Green Lung have both had records out his last fortnight and both are solid efforts. What a crazy month for releases! 

I’ve also been giving some albums a listen from earlier in the year which I haven’t put on in a while:

- That last Cannibal Corpse album is bloody excellent and their best since KILL. 

- URNE’s Serpent and Spirit is wonderful and one of the best out and out metal releases of the year. 

- Even Fear Factory’s album is solid. Metal has had a great year.  

Yeah, 2021 has been a great year for Rock/metal/punk. Some awesome albums released 

Who says rock is dead?

On 10/24/2021 at 5:24 PM, Andre91 said:

What a weekend, eh. I have spent all weekend listening to new releases and it’s been fantastic. On top of those you’ve mentioned, Can’t Swim have brought a record out this week which is decent. Slow Crush and Green Lung have both had records out his last fortnight and both are solid efforts. What a crazy month for releases! 

I’ve also been giving some albums a listen from earlier in the year which I haven’t put on in a while:

- That last Cannibal Corpse album is bloody excellent and their best since KILL. 

- URNE’s Serpent and Spirit is wonderful and one of the best out and out metal releases of the year. 

- Even Fear Factory’s album is solid. Metal has had a great year.  

That Urne album is truly outstanding. Hope they get on Download next year. 

I've gone through a bunch of the album releases from Friday.

Big D & The Kids Table, probably my favourite ska punk band (even though they don't touch the brilliance of Streetlight Manifesto) and this is their first album in 8ish years so I was looking forward to this. It's not their best album but also not their worst. There are new ideas that range from stupid silliness to weighty brilliance but it really suffers from having too much filler.

Dream Theatre, it's alright but nothing I've not heard before from them.

Biffy Clyro, yep that's a Biffy album. I enjoyed it a lot more than the last few albums but I can't get into them same way I did in the early 10s for some reason.

On 10/24/2021 at 6:49 PM, rivalschools.price said:

Who says rock is dead?

The Download bookers. 😜

21 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

Got into a Japanese band called Boris this afternoon released an album in August elements of Stoner, Hardcore,Shoegazing and Thrash. Very good

Yeah, these have been around for a while and are great.

Doubt they sell much merch nowadays though. Can’t imagine many wanting to go around in a T-shirt with ‘Boris’ written on it haha.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

I’m genuinely really excited for this. Limp Bizkit being cool again is one of my favourite things about our scene in modern times. 

We're they meant to be a secret set at R&L this year or have I made that up? I was assuming that with them cancelling their tour with Spiritbox they we're both going to make an appearance

On 10/29/2021 at 10:32 AM, jump said:

Why are people talking about Limp Bizkit when the new Mastadon album is fucking great and a must listen!

That new Mastodon album is class. The new Biffy one is a decent enough listen but I’m still not convinced they’re the correct choice as a Download headliner.  Really poor crowd last time and quite a cheap option. 

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

That new Mastodon album is class. The new Biffy one is a decent enough listen but I’m still not convinced they’re the correct choice as a Download headliner.  Really poor crowd last time and quite a cheap option. 

1. Saying Biffy aren’t a worthy DL headliner make you part of Download’s ‘problem’. 

2. You have no idea how much they cost. 

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

1. Saying Biffy aren’t a worthy DL headliner make you part of Download’s ‘problem’. 

2. You have no idea how much they cost. 

And who on earth are you to suggest I’m the ‘problem’ . You must believe your opinon is all that matter.  And how can you loudly proclaim I have no idea of costs. You don’t know me

How much a band cost is always a sticky wicket as we have no idea how much they are paid so it's complete speculation. Biffy whilst not a stadium act are still pretty in demand, they can headline plenty of mid-sized fests if they aren't at Download or R&L. Whilst KISS it is a case that they need Download more than Download needs KISS as there's not another festival option for them here on Euro fest tours so perhaps it's the case that KISS are the cheapest rather than Biffy but who knows really. 

Also why do people think Download's headliners must be stadium sized as more often than not they aren't, even the popular ones like Slipknot took a while to get to the point of playing the O2 arena which is really surprising. In any case there are other threads for talking about Download's line up. 

They haven't got anything new out but I'm listening to Radkey at the moment. I can never got over how much he sounds like Danzig.

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

And who on earth are you to suggest I’m the ‘problem’ . You must believe your opinon is all that matter.  And how can you loudly proclaim I have no idea of costs. You don’t know me

Download has a problem with punters not considering acts to be worthy of headlining, which the festival has played into by not bumping up new headliners and it’s going to bite them in the arse in coming years. Biffy Clyro are one of the biggest British bands of the millennium, of course they are a worthy headliner. People who say they aren’t are part of the problem of bands not being perceived as ‘worthy’ enough to play the festival. 

How much do they cost then? 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Enjoyed the new Mastodon but don’t think it needed to be 90 minutes long. Listened a couple of times now and find it becomes a bit of a slog towards the end so could’ve done with a few songs less, although couldn’t say which ones deserve the chop. 

That’s a fair assessment. 40 quid on vinyl is outrageous. Been a few recent releases on vinyl that have taken the piss with the prices they’re currently charging. I got that last Judas Priest double for 25 which is fair enough.