Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Went to see Phoebe Bridgers at Brixton on Thursday, I am a pretty recent fan of her music but was still incredibly excited for it

She was brilliant, the stage and backdrop are beautiful and really complement the songs too. I Know The End is such a moment to experience, true catharsis

I'm glad I managed to go to this tour, Punisher is such a strong album so being able to see all of it played was great

She also played Georgia for the encore, only time during the UK tour and the one song I felt was missing from the set list! So that was pretty cool

Charlie Hickey was the support, acoustic singer, was pretty good and crowd were really into him

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NoBuses said:

what did you make of the stadium? Keen to know as a spurs fan and how it compares for gigs!

I’ve been there recently for a gig.

The drinks choices are shit as you have to leave the pitch if you want something other than beer and as most of the steps are roped off it’s a longer trip too, I can’t comment on what the crowds are like leaving as I have family in the area so went there to avoid the wait but I heard it was a pain for others, the sound was fine but not fantastic and you can go out for a smoke which is nice. Its not bad and better than Wembley and MK stadium but London Stadium is the best for gigs I’ve been to and Emirates Stadium is the worst.

Edited by jump

3 hours ago, jump said:

I’ve been there recently for a gig.

The drinks choices are shit as you have to leave the pitch if you want something other than beer and as most of the steps are roped off it’s a longer trip too, I can’t comment on what the crowds are like leaving as I have family in the area so went there to avoid the wait but I heard it was a pain for others, the sound was fine but not fantastic and you can go out for a smoke which is nice. Its not bad and better than Wembley and MK stadium but London Stadium is the best for gigs I’ve been to and Emirates Stadium is the worst.

Interesting, cheers. Yeah getting out is a nightmare for the football so imagine it would be worse for a gig too with less locals.

13 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds…All Together Now, Saturday night. Yet again, no further comment required! 

edit: actually, there is…Sublime!

The only band still around (that I'm aware of) that play proper dirty, dangerous rock.

Fantastic live act.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The only band still around (that I'm aware of) that play proper dirty, dangerous rock.

Fantastic live act.

You know, I love Nick Cave with a passion reserved for very few, but I’ve always maintained that they couldn’t headline the pyramid, that they just weren’t mainstream enough. I thought about it walking away from the gig on Saturday and it was such an absorbing performance, I’m convinced they could. Most of my mates wouldn’t know more than a song or two from Ed Sheehan, Stormzy, Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, Jay Z etc, nor would they listen to Muse or Coldplay regularly…but they have watched them all on the pyramid and come away saying they put on a great show. And that exactly what the Bad Seeds do. Sometimes the pyramid headliner is so huge that everyone knows most of their output, but often, the masses are only familiar with a handful of hits (granted, those hits may be a bit more pervasive than anything Nick Cave has put out)….but I’d love to see them get a crack some time. 

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

You know, I love Nick Cave with a passion reserved for very few, but I’ve always maintained that they couldn’t headline the pyramid, that they just weren’t mainstream enough.

This is a mistake increasingly being made by ticket holders and GFL.

Headliners don't need to be mainstream, they just need to be good and preferably lively.

On 7/30/2022 at 4:43 PM, NoBuses said:

what did you make of the stadium? Keen to know as a spurs fan and how it compares for gigs!

The sound wasn’t brilliant and they need to get better organised with distribution of wristbands and stuff like that. But that will come once they have done more events.  As much as it pains me (I’m a West Ham fan) I really like the stadium.  The new standing/seating area is good. Last time I went (for the NFL) they were selling their own beer which was nice but at the gig they only had Heineken unfortunately at most places with San Miguel at only a couple Of others. 

For gigs I preferred it to Wembley but not as good as London Stadium (but I may be a bit biased)

5F4DCFCF-D58A-497F-ACF1-FCEEACEEAB37.jpeg

A85925DA-F8E6-4884-90AC-52F34A5E19B7.jpeg

80325F81-E078-4AD2-9B3A-0F897D29A47C.jpeg

Edited by Bennykill
Add photos
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

The sound wasn’t brilliant and they need to get better organised with distribution of wristbands and stuff like that. But that will come once they have done more events.  As much as it pains me (I’m a West Ham fan) I really like the stadium.  The new standing/seating area is good. Last time I went (for the NFL) they were selling their own beer which was nice but at the gig they only had Heineken unfortunately at most places with San Miguel at only a couple Of others. 

For gigs I preferred it to Wembley but not as good as London Stadium (but I may be a bit biased)

5F4DCFCF-D58A-497F-ACF1-FCEEACEEAB37.jpeg

A85925DA-F8E6-4884-90AC-52F34A5E19B7.jpeg

80325F81-E078-4AD2-9B3A-0F897D29A47C.jpeg

Must be a gig deal with the beer, at the football they have Amstel and Beavertown neck oil on tap since the brewery is in the stadium 

23 hours ago, NoBuses said:

Interesting, cheers. Yeah getting out is a nightmare for the football so imagine it would be worse for a gig too with less locals.

Getting into the stadium was bad enough when I went to see a football match there in April, but it might be down to having spent the afternoon walking around the West End and not being prepared for how long the distance is from Seven Sisters Tube to the stadium. The queue for the tube at the end of the long walk on the way out was really bad.

58 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

Interesting. I've had mixed experiences of London Stadium - Muse in 2019 was very good, if leaving was dampened by 4/5 other stadium-sized events happening in London that night and the trains back being comically overcrowded, whereas I found the sound for Hella Mega this year to be oddly inconsistent and having odd song-to-song variation for some acts.

26 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Getting into the stadium was bad enough when I went to see a football match there in April, but it might be down to having spent the afternoon walking around the West End and not being prepared for how long the distance is from Seven Sisters Tube to the stadium. The queue for the tube at the end of the long walk on the way out was really bad.

Yeah the walk is a killer, I do it on match days as a sort of tradition as that's what i've always done but if i'm feeling lazy I just get the overground to WHL station

14 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Yeah the walk is a killer, I do it on match days as a sort of tradition as that's what i've always done but if i'm feeling lazy I just get the overground to WHL station

Maybe if you're used to it it's less of a problem. As this was my first visit to the joint, I was very much not prepared for it both in terms of the length to get there and the massive queue at the end of the long walk back (to the point where I chickened out of getting on the tube and got on a bus back to Angel then got the tube).

18 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Maybe if you're used to it it's less of a problem. As this was my first visit to the joint, I was very much not prepared for it both in terms of the length to get there and the massive queue at the end of the long walk back (to the point where I chickened out of getting on the tube and got on a bus back to Angel then got the tube).

If you are ever there again, it's much easier to get on WHL station and then change to the underground at Seven sisters coming out. You have to queue but avoids the walk!

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Interesting. I've had mixed experiences of London Stadium - Muse in 2019 was very good, if leaving was dampened by 4/5 other stadium-sized events happening in London that night and the trains back being comically overcrowded, whereas I found the sound for Hella Mega this year to be oddly inconsistent and having odd song-to-song variation for some acts.

Leaving the London stadium can be a nightmare no matter what is on. Well worth hanging about for a drink and the queues disappear pretty quickly. I saw both Muse and Depeche Mode and both were amazing. 

I went to see the ABBA Voyage show over the weekend, it really is incredible. The technology isn't always perfect (dark backgrounds give a lot more depth to the visuals, where lighter backgrounds can make it seem slightly more 2.5D) - but when it works it really works (and even when it doesn't it's still impressive and a lot of fun).

Both me and my partner came away massively impressed and talking about going back again (both our mums are furious we didn't take them).

It's not the same as seeing a band live, but if an artist isn't able/willing to play anymore than this is a great way to do it.

Finally got to see Bob vylan tonight in Glasgow. Missed them at glasto. Anyway, sold out gig in oran mor, 300ish? I'll give them it's good live and with a decent support I only caught last 2 songs off. As punk as it gets, had a proper slam pit and a bit of stage diving.. with me on the outside of in my more refined age.

Top gig tho. Proper toe tapper n head bobber 

Edited by garc1a

A bit off topic, wasn't sure where to post and didn't want to start a new thread...

London advice, I have a gig in OVO Wembley arena later this year. Any tips or advice on area to book hotel for? Next to train line etc? 

Never been before, heading down with the boy from Glasgow to see Danny elfman do Tim Burton's nightmare before Xmas.. 

Any tips appreciated 

Was at Bingley Festival this weekend. Rag n Bone Man was excellent, Pixies excellent, Beans on Toast was great. Shed Seven also great. The K's were new to me and they were good, same for Andrew Cushin. Really enjoyed Alfie Templeman too, he can REALLY play, excellent guitaring!

On 7/30/2022 at 4:43 PM, NoBuses said:

I saw GnR there the other week. The Stadium and general experience itself was pretty good all in all, but the sound was atrocious. I've no idea if that's because of the sound setup, stadium itself or both.

Edited by Chef