Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Nice to see people talking about slightly smaller gigs in the last few posts rather than stupid rip off stadium ones.

Just back from watching Enola Gay at the Joiners. Just so good. A real live assault. Great gig.

Got a local band called Happy2000 tomorrow, then Crack Cloud in Guildford on Monday and Web & Koyoto Koyoto in Southampton on Tuesday. Really nice to get some proper good gigs like that in the summer.

On 7/20/2022 at 11:37 AM, Bennykill said:

Belle and Sebastian were great at the Bristol Harborside on Friday.  They had Django Django as support who were also great.  Nice size crowd too.

They’d made it up to Doune the Rabbit Hole on Saturday. Excellent  🕺👌

Edited by Comfy Bean
  • Like 1

Chats at this dive bar in hackney, class set but didn't play Smoko for some reason (not seen them before so a bit frustrating especially considering they ended 5 mins early)

Interpol at Pryzm Kingston, fantastic set - one of the most consistent live acts i think. sweltering heat.

Heading interrailing, nothing till september now unless i catch something out there

9 hours ago, gfa said:

Interpol at Pryzm Kingston, fantastic set - one of the most consistent live acts i think. sweltering heat.

I had thought about seeing them on this run, but was busy on the night of the St John's Church gig and really didn't fancy the Monday heatwave show at the Forum. If only as I half expected something to go wrong with the trains from Milton Keynes to London, which it did on Tuesday.

19 minutes ago, ogriff said:

Phoebe Bridgers last night in Manchester, took my 8yo for her first ever "proper gig"-gig.  I found it incredibly emotional to be honest!  Sharing live music with people you love really is the best.

Lucky girl. I was hoping to pick up some tickets on Twickets but no such luck. 

16 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Went to ABBA last night. Very good, and much fun was had. 

Met some great people from around the world, a couple that had seen them in 79. 

I’m hoping to get tickets to Abba for my birthday.  The reviews are pretty amazing. 

57 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Went to ABBA last night. Very good, and much fun was had. 

Met some great people from around the world, a couple that had seen them in 79. 

Was this for the hologram thing? If so details please! Ive bought my gf tickets for that in October.

7 hours ago, RossTC said:

Was this for the hologram thing? If so details please! Ive bought my gf tickets for that in October.

Yea that was the one in the Olympic park, well just off there. Best to not know anything. Did you get dancefloor tickets, plenty of room to dance. Set up is mint. Expensive on the drinks. She will have a blast. People spontaneously singing abba songs out in the foyer after was good to see

Could have been a longer set mind. Hour and half.

Oh to add, if you are coming from outside London they have built a bar outside the arena for drinks before and after with a DJ too. 

Edited by fred quimby
  • Upvote 1

in full recovery mode after a fab 4 days at bluedot.  Saw in no particular order :

Hannah Peel & Paraorchestra, Tim Burgess, Los Bitchos, Jane Weaver Mandy Indiana, Kojey Radical, Groove Armada, Lanterns on the lake, Alewya, Metronomy, Mogwai, Square pusher, hey bulldog, Lounge Society, a guy called gerald, A certain ratio, warmduscher, anna meridith, jockstrap, the bug club & Bjork.

im absolutely knackered and spent a fortune but what a weekend 

• Like 1

Saw Kelis at Tramlines yesterday, unbelievably good, great voice and pacing to the set. 

At one point she remixed gravel pit with milkshake which then went into never mind teen spirit/bounce without a break between songs, incredible stuff 

52 minutes ago, swede said:

Saw Kelis at Tramlines yesterday, unbelievably good, great voice and pacing to the set. 

At one point she remixed gravel pit with milkshake which then went into never mind teen spirit/bounce without a break between songs, incredible stuff 

Saw her in 2011 (i think) at some stage in the Dance Village (now Silver Hayes).

As you say unbelievably good.

Brilliant weekend at Latitude! Managed to cram in loads as usual. In no particular order I saw: Foals, Fontaines DC, Little Simz, Shed Seven, Self Esteem, Maggie Rogers, Caroline Polachek, Phoebe Bridgers, Modest Mouse, Alfie Templeman, Larkin Poe, Freya Ridings, Manic Street Preachers, Cavetown, Crows, Nilufer Yanya, Rina Sawayama, Curtis Harding, Maximo Park and Dylan

Was fortunate enough to make it to Newport Folk Festival this past weekend for first 2 days. On Saturday, Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats played 10 Paul Simon songs with various guests joining in (Natalie Merchant, Midlake, Marcus Mumford and more) and then for the big surprise, Paul Simon comes out of retirement unannounced for 4 songs - Graceland, American Tune, The Boxer, Sound of Silence...pretty incredible I must say

oh, and The National were incredible headlining Friday...

I didn't have access to Sunday, where Joni Mitchell made her return to the festival she last played 1969... I missed Glastonbury this year, so Newport was my summer festie... It's the only festival in the US that has the long history of famed sets that something like Glastonbury has...small, intimate, around 12,000 and it sells out on the day tickets go on sale with no lineup announcements having been made. If you have means to travel to US later in summer some year and want to pick a festie, and are into the Americana music, you'll have more of an experience at something like this than at a Coachella (if you're one of the 'older' peeps on here, like me)

• Like 1