Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

11 minutes ago, BreadMakesYouFat? said:

I'm on the train home from Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Brixton Academy. I'm not sure if I was just in a bad mood, but something didn't click for me tonight. I think the sound was all over the place. The vox, guitar and drums were all overpowered by synths.

Plus they kept doing 2-3 minutes intros to several songs that didn't build up, it just got boring. Oh and the group of people next to me were irritatingly extra. Would be intrigued to know if anyone else there thought the sound was shit.

IMG_20220607_232442_949.jpg

I haven’t seen them but a friend who saw them in Manchester was raving about them. Perhaps just an off night or the sound was a bit off! 

• Thanks 1

One of my favourite gigs of the year at Chalk in Brighton last night.

Parquet Courts were brilliant and the support band Fat Dog were completely off the scale. If you get the chance to see them live then absolutely do.

• Like 1

In terms of indie at Glasto

Saw Inhaler at Reading and Boardies last year and were boring at both. Sports team live were great at Reading and will benefit from a smaller stage than the main at Reading last year. Sam fender is brilliant live and is gonna pull a gigantic crowd. Amyl and the sniffers are great would highly recommend them from seeing in 2019 at Williams Green. 

Saw The Killers at Carrow Road, Norwich last night.  I'll be bold and say they're the best live band on the planet. Such a strong setlist and great all round performance, Brandon was on top form too. Probably one of the best gigs I've ever been to, I hope to see them again sometime soon  

I saw Peter Hook and Light at Bearded Theory recently and they blew the roof of a woodland, if you can do that. I am lucky (old) enough to have seen both Joy Division and New Order in their early days and have always swerved this sort of gig. However, what a feckin Party!!! Magic. 

Edited by The Dawg
typo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone at the Stones last night? How were the old goats?

I was there - my tenth time seeing the Stones and my Mrs' first - and it was astonishing.

Being a 'pool fan when the Kop starting singing You'll Never Walk Alone and Keith came out and started Gimme Shelter immediately afterwards I thought it was the greatest moment of my life. 

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Anyone at the Stones last night? How were the old goats?

I was and they were amazing , wish I'd paid more now for the gold circle as it would have been worth it

Edited by gazzared

14 hours ago, The Dawg said:

I saw Peter Hook and Light at Bearded Theory recently and they blew the roof of a woodland, if you can do that. I am lucky (old) enough to have seen both Joy Division and New Order in their early days and have always swerved this sort of gig. However, what a feckin Party!!! Magic. 

I was surprised how good they were tbh… probably the set of the weekend for me..

note for @crazyfool1… October Drift smashed it at BT also… certainly gained a lot of new admirers in a decent sized crowd

• Upvote 1

Saw Yasmin Williams yesterday and would definitely recommend to go at Glastonbury. Not only her technique is impressive, but her tunes have great melody, and although she doesn't sing she does some nice chit chat in between/seems really happy to play etc. If you can check her out!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, moogster said:

Saw Yasmin Williams yesterday and would definitely recommend to go at Glastonbury. Not only her technique is impressive, but her tunes have great melody, and although she doesn't sing she does some nice chit chat in between/seems really happy to play etc. If you can check her out!

Fabulous she’s on my must see list even though I didn’t appreciate the clash with Pete Paphides but she is playing Manchester when I am already at the festival so have to go and see her! 

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

I was surprised how good they were tbh… probably the set of the weekend for me..

note for @crazyfool1… October Drift smashed it at BT also… certainly gained a lot of new admirers in a decent sized crowd

I can certainly see the momentum building for them now … also now supporting pearl jam … lower down at bst and the second album tour to be announced soon I’d guess … I managed to catch a few videos of that and just love kiwi getting in amongst the crowd 

Saw Crowded House at the Hydro in Glasgow last night. Absolutely superb. Band sounded great, NeilFinn sounded superb, good patter between songs. Will be great on the Pyramid, think in that slot it could be quite emotional.

Also saw the Pet Shop Boys weekend before last, stage set is less extravagant than some previous but the songs were all there. All of them. That Sunday night with them is as safe a bet as you can get at Glastonbury this year.

I was at the Stones in Liverpool on Thursday. First time seeing them and thought they were incredible, great setlist and the sound was especially good for a stadium gig. I don't know how Mick keeps his energy up, but if I've got a fraction of it at 78 I'll be pretty happy. Only slight downside was the layout, the golden circle was about half full which meant there was a big gap in front of the GA barrier of just dead space.

IMG_6007.JPG

On 6/11/2022 at 8:21 AM, BlueDaze said:

I was there for October Drift as well, very energetic set. Really enjoyed it, and yeah, jumping into the crowd was a good touch.

Caught a couple of songs by Porridge Radio at a festival yesterday and regretted not catching the full show so added to my clashfinder.

Saw Fontaines DC too but given the length of the thread about them I'm guessing I can't add much. Quite a happy to see quite enough people knowing the lyrics even back in the crowd (non UK/IE crowd)

19 minutes ago, moogster said:

Caught a couple of songs by Porridge Radio at a festival yesterday and regretted not catching the full show so added to my clashfinder.

Saw Fontaines DC too but given the length of the thread about them I'm guessing I can't add much. Quite a happy to see quite enough people knowing the lyrics even back in the crowd (non UK/IE crowd)

I’m at BKS too and thought Fontaines were brilliant. Set list was a good mix of all the albums and like you I was a little surprised at how into them the european crowd were!

6 minutes ago, dj_tim said:

I’m at BKS too and thought Fontaines were brilliant. Set list was a good mix of all the albums and like you I was a little surprised at how into them the european crowd were!

Ah you guessed 😉 . Yes it flowed really well. Looking forward to Wolf Alice later on (hopefully one less clash at Glastonbury because I'll be satisfied enough but not enthusiastic enough as to make them a must see (again) in a couple of wees)