Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

30 minutes ago, benali said:

OSees tomorrow, Coach Party on Thursday and Goa Express on Friday. A good week.

I’ve got the oh sees on Saturday, really looking forward to them, let us know how they were

So, I saw Tool in London.

Really never thought I’d catch this band, so it is somewhat surreal to see them.

I do have a lot of thoughts though.

Pros

They sound incredibly tight. Weirdly, Maynard’s vocals sounded pretty close to studio quality. I wondered if he’d had some production in play to help him sound that crisp. I’ve seen videos before of their live performances and noticed his voice came across a bit strange, but not tonight!

Tracks from FI were made to be played live. They sound absolutely fantastic. The reaction from the crowd at Pneuma or Descending would make you think they were their greatest hits.

Cons

Tool fans kinda live up to their stereotype. They aren’t the liveliest and they don’t go as ‘mad for it’ as you think they would. Band absolutely shredding it on stage and most of the crowd standing completely still or sitting down. Quite bizarre.

Seating only is complete shite and kinda ruins the experience. Crowd feels too spaced apart and it took a while for people to loosen up. Really really not a fan. 

Setlist is strange. They have a lot of 10 min + tracks which means it’s hard to cover all your hits in one set. But it does feel like you walk away thinking… damn.. wish I could have heard that one. Maynard also spoke to the crowd once at the start and before the last song. I know he’s a man of few words but it did feel a bit like the band could have been playing anywhere, and we didn’t really matter to them.

Overall, fantastic live experience. Probably will never catch them again due to how difficult they are to pin down. Glad I went!

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, sedra said:

Saw The Lottery Winners at Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth last Thursday- always a good feel good fun night out. They have been supporting Sleeper and are now on tour with Richard Ashcroft and Reverend and the Makers but this was their own gig. Great band. 

And the guitarist is a Bolton fan. They're brilliant.

20 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Ditto.  Fantastic in Manchester last week

I was looking to see if they were maybe playing Brighton or Birmingham this week so I could go again, but no luck. They're playing Cambridge but I'm working unfortunately! 😞

14 hours ago, sedra said:

Saw The Lottery Winners at Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth last Thursday- always a good feel good fun night out. They have been supporting Sleeper and are now on tour with Richard Ashcroft and Reverend and the Makers but this was their own gig. Great band. 

They had indicated that they hoped to be playing the festival again this year.  Not sure where they would be if they are still to be announced.  They did the Crow's Nest last time!

Slow Readers Club also said they were meant to be playing, and no signs of them anywhere yet

Edited by Greenelk

I was in London last week and saw Confidence Man@Kentish Town Forum. Thoroughly enjoyed the show. Hugely entertaining, an eye-opening performance.

I noticed there was a video shooting going on during the show. One of the camera crew told me afterwords that Team ConMan were planning to release the London show in DVD/BR.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:42 PM, blue6field said:

I’ve got the oh sees on Saturday, really looking forward to them, let us know how they were

They were on top form. Best live band in the world bar none in my opinion.

Considering its John Dwyer, one of the most prolific and talented artists on the planet, you have to love the fact he wanders on stage straight after the support with the rest of the band, helps drags the 2 drum sets to the front of the stage, quickly sets up a bit of equipment, plugs his guitar in and starts. 

None of this ridiculous charade of sending a guitar technician out to fake tune an instrument that's already been sorted. No pissing around and coming out 5 minutes late even though you literally have all day to prepare. 12 minutes after the support finished they were into the first song.

They started 5 minutes early and smashed out a straight 95 minute set rammed of their best songs to a smiling, happy crowd. Fun mosh pit too. No messing around with encores. Plug in, play, finish. Just how all gigs should be.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, benali said:

They were on top form. Best live band in the world bar none in my opinion.

Considering its John Dwyer, one of the most prolific and talented artists on the planet, you have to love the fact he wanders on stage straight after the support with the rest of the band, helps drags the 2 drum sets to the front of the stage, quickly sets up a bit of equipment, plugs his guitar in and starts. 

None of this ridiculous charade of sending a guitar technician out to fake tune an instrument that's already been sorted. No pissing around and coming out 5 minutes late even though you literally have all day to prepare. 12 minutes after the support finished they were into the first song.

They started 5 minutes early and smashed out a straight 95 minute set rammed of their best songs to a smiling, happy crowd. Fun mosh pit too. No messing around with encores. Plug in, play, finish. Just how all gigs should be.

😀can’t wait!!

On 5/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, the wonderwhy said:

Saw Metronomy at Ally Pally on Saturday. Were fantastic, old stuff sounding as good as ever and the new tunes are great fun live. 

What's up with the two dickhead security guards who stand on stepladders either side of the stage and shine torches in people's faces all gig though? Proper pig behaviour that. Needs getting rid of pronto. 

Was it both of them with the flashlights?

I really only noticed the guy on the right. I didn't mind the swimming pool style, elevated security, but the flashlight for no apparent reason was so annoying. Clearly wasn't for people on shoulders, as he ignored that. Man was on a power trip, blinding us all night long.

Metronomy were insane though 10/10. The crowd made that a very special one. Glad I went, as I doubt their show at Glasto could match that.

23 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Was it both of them with the flashlights?

I really only noticed the guy on the right. I didn't mind the swimming pool style, elevated security, but the flashlight for no apparent reason was so annoying. Clearly wasn't for people on shoulders, as he ignored that. Man was on a power trip, blinding us all night long.

Metronomy were insane though 10/10. The crowd made that a very special one. Glad I went, as I doubt their show at Glasto could match that.

I was also stood on the right hand side so only really noticed that guy, but I had a mate stood over on the left who said he got targetted by the other dude when he put someone up on his shoulders. 

12 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I was also stood on the right hand side so only really noticed that guy, but I had a mate stood over on the left who said he got targetted by the other dude when he put someone up on his shoulders. 

I had some kids who were off their TITS. They were on each others shoulders, barely able to stay straight up. Wobbling tons. 

Wasn't really enjoying myself at that moment, as was more afraid they were gonna fall on us. 

Dude never flashed his light at them. Odd.

Dua Lipa at the NIA Birmingham 17.04.22

After booking these tickets in the early hours of easter sunday morning, I clicked back onto allgigs and saw Desperate Journalist were playing the Hare and Hounds the exact same evening. So soon after their pre-xmas show that we swerved to avoid the omicron? Turns out it was the same show, that was cancelled then and we were never made aware of. Feeling stupid, and double booked, we opted for the more expensive option of the two and turned up at the arena's box office queue to collect our tickets - a queue inconveniently running alongside the queue for entry, which very few people in the massive length were aware of, meaning people just queued for entry in this slow queue for ticket collection, and very rarely did anyone from the venue notice this was going on, resulting in me having to go down the queue to try and get it moving. I realised then that this happened when we came for Bring me the Horizon in september, which explains the insane queues, and the security visibly not letting anybody in. Later inside my girlfriend, a mere 40 minutes after doors, managed to get the last serving of chips. They then closed down all the food stalls. How does this happen?? Imagine that was beer they ran out of holy god.

Griff was lone support. Lovely sound coming off the stage, including an interpolation of I Wanna Dance With Somebody that did it justice, and probably worked better than a straightforward cover.

Dua Lipa's Physical opened the show and the crowd were so up for it the ground was shaking. I'd be surprised if I see a better set list this year, with some of the best tracks from her first album shuffled through her amazing sophomore effort. Wasn't ever that keen when she was a rent-a-voice on dj tracks, but the one with Elton John was actually amazing in the arena.

Nice to have the big choreo that elevates the songs into music video territory, although the levitating platform for (you guessed it) Levitate will not give KISS any professional envy.

They played Dance With Somebody again after Dua left the stage, and the crowd walked into the night, down the canals, belting it out.

20220422_130210.thumb.jpg.73b027067bb857691b02ef655448c144.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.e2b9ca17cb561b80612bb48101d1daf9.jpeg

Saturday. Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets at Bath Forum

My expectations thoroughly exceeded. A superb show from a great band that feel so much more than a nostalgia project. Mason still got the chops at 78. Gary Kemp the surprisingly good guitarist.  

image.thumb.jpeg.da21383b0af90ee26bcc15ccaddfa6cc.jpeg

Monday. Muse at Hammersmith Apollo

Great to see this band indoors in such a small venue as have only seen them at festivals and in stadia. A tight set heavy on rockers - could have done with the odd slowie for a breather. Great fun, but man, did it stink in the pit!

image.thumb.jpeg.7cb1ea7b54a23e9919751dbc8f924c77.jpeg

Tuesday. Tool at The O2 Greenwich.

Freaky and freaking epic. Visually stunning, musically magnificent. An incredible performance.

Beans on toast in Bilston last night.  Very good, as always.  Slightly less anarchic than previously, but no less entertaining.  I think his song writing has stepped up a level too, I like the old 2 minute punk songs but the new ones have got an added dimension to them.  He's moved up my list from maybe to will see at Glastonbury, even though I'll have to fight a crowd. 

beans.jpg

Illuminati Hotties at The Jericho Tavern in Oxford last night was great fun, and better live than I expected. The support, Ducks Ltd, were good too and better than on record, although it got a bit samey.

Interesting mix of nerdy uni kids and weird old men like me in attendance.

Coach Party tonight. They were alright, good fun but nothing to get massively excited about.

First band of the night were a new local one called Wonderlux playing their first gig. Some 90's influenced grunge type stuff going on. Sure they'll be getting a load of support slots around here so will see how they progress with interest.

BC Camplight last night at Future Yard in Birkenhead. Really enjoyed it. Brian is such a character and really has a led a (quite difficult) life.

Plus he drank neat Jamo from a bottle for most of the duration of the set. A Blazing Saddles line springs to mind (one for the youngsters).

Would love to see them at Glastonbury and to be honest, I would love to have a drink with him but fear he would write me off for days.

3 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

BC Camplight last night at Future Yard in Birkenhead. Really enjoyed it. Brian is such a character and really has a led a (quite difficult) life.

Plus he drank neat Jamo from a bottle for most of the duration of the set. A Blazing Saddles line springs to mind (one for the youngsters).

Would love to see them at Glastonbury and to be honest, I would love to have a drink with him but fear he would write me off for days.

Hes great! hes fairly honest on the socials, may be worth asking him straight out if hes playing

• Upvote 1

Warpaint were excellent in Manchester last night. Got a pretty loud reception from the crowd, and band looked like they were having a good time. Nice to hear a good chunk of the EP too. Looking forward to seeing them again at Primavera