Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

7 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Rounded off my week of 5 gigs in 7 day with Spirtualized at the Bridgwater Hall in Manchester.  Superb.  I was stone cold sober and swear i went into some sort of Space Rock transcendental state at one stage.

Neck Mohican for two hours

I was there too.  Great gig I thought too.  Was right up in the gallery but still a great view and sound.

2 minutes ago, dondo said:

I was there too.  Great gig I thought too.  Was right up in the gallery but still a great view and sound.

Yep, agree.  I certainly would not want to be seated at many gigs I attend but watching a band like that in a venue like that (for those that don't know the venue, it is a primarily a theatrical / full orchestra venue and home of the Halle Orchestra) makes me realise how many bands I actually watch in piss poor venues acoustically with a terrible PA set up 🙂

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

Yep, agree.  I certainly would not want to be seated at many gigs I attend but watching a band like that in a venue like that (for those that don't know the venue, it is a primarily a theatrical / full orchestra venue and home of the Halle Orchestra) makes me realise how many bands I actually watch in piss poor venues acoustically with a terrible PA set up 🙂

Yes great venue. Though went to see the first ever Hacienda Classical there a good few years back and the sound was terrible. Orchestra were drowned out so couldn't hear them.  But that is my only bad experience there

3 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

First gig I ever saw there was Beth Orton about 20 years ago and that voice with that acoustic set up was chefs kiss sublime!!

Saw Baby Queen at the Electric Ballroom last week.  Seen her twice now, I was totally blown away last year. and this time she was even better, a brilliant live performer, smart, funny, the crowd adore her, and she seems to feel the same about them loved it, despite feeling like a granded in the audience at the age of 49!

And then last night, a pre Glastonbury rush with Mik at The Lexington.  A 2 hour set, last nights band are probably the best I've seen him with, a lot heavier than I've seen him at the festival, endless ad-libbing and going off on a tangent during songs.  The just about to be released Glastonbury single is a thing of beauty, and made me grin from ear to ear!

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 10.07.06 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-09 at 10.06.25 AM.jpeg

Edited by Greenelk
  • Like 1

Saw Metronomy at Ally Pally on Saturday. Were fantastic, old stuff sounding as good as ever and the new tunes are great fun live. 

What's up with the two dickhead security guards who stand on stepladders either side of the stage and shine torches in people's faces all gig though? Proper pig behaviour that. Needs getting rid of pronto. 

13 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Saw Metronomy at Ally Pally on Saturday. Were fantastic, old stuff sounding as good as ever and the new tunes are great fun live. 

What's up with the two dickhead security guards who stand on stepladders either side of the stage and shine torches in people's faces all gig though? Proper pig behaviour that. Needs getting rid of pronto. 

What are they looking for? Smokers?

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

What are they looking for? Smokers?

Or people doing drugs.

You'd think people would have the sense to just do it the toilets or before getting to the venue. I remember seeing Prodigy at Ally Pally and one of my mates was doing coke in the crowd with security about 10 feet away from us so I slid into the security eye line and I told my mate if security sees him and tries to kick him out I'm just gonna pretend to not know him as I'm not missing them play.

Edited by jump

7 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

The appeared to be going for pretty much everything - smokers/vapers, drugs, people on shoulders... 

They'd come on during every song. Was annoying at best. 

That sounds shite. And ridiculous. Proper buzz kill. I struggle with Ally Pally at the best of times

1 hour ago, the wonderwhy said:

The appeared to be going for pretty much everything - smokers/vapers, drugs, people on shoulders... 

They'd come on during every song. Was annoying at best. 

That sucks, can't pretend I haven't enjoyed a crafty fag in the middle of the Ally Pally crowd in the past...

On 5/8/2022 at 11:41 AM, BreadMakesYouFat? said:

I went to see Coach Party at Bedford Esquires on Friday night. I discovered them during lockdown on 6music and this gig got pushed back about 3 times, but they were fantastic. The crowd were a little lacklustre, but I chose to just dance on my own at the front any way.

They're the sort of band I'd love to see pop up on Williams Green or towards the bottom of John Peel, but I doubt it. They're similar to The Big Moon, and they never managed to get beyond Williams Green despite a Mercury Prize nomination.

Nice ive got tickets to see them on their tour in Reading. Super exicited to see where they go love what theyve done so far. They will defo be on the farm. 

Just now, Jacksamthompson said:

Watched Girl in Red last week at the roundhouse. Great performer. Not sure if her voice is going to hold out till glasto tho. Forgot how smelly teens are condensed in a crowd. 

Spolier alert it isn't. She has vocal chord nodules and may not even make the festival. 😞 

• Upvote 2

Bonobo and Michael Kiwanuka over the weekend, both at the Academy in Leeds. 

Bonobo was on top form. Although a lot of talkers in the crowd which was annoying. Regardless, I think his West Holts slot will go off!

Michael Kiwanuka is just such an amazing songwriter. Unfortunately ended up behind the tallest people on earth and had to bail to the back but still a phenomenonal show 😃

I saw Confidence Man at Kentish Town on Thursday. Probably the most fun I've had at a gig this year.
I'm strangely the least hyped I've ever been to go to Glastonbury at the moment, but I'm very excited to see them again at the festival.

27 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I saw Confidence Man at Kentish Town on Thursday. Probably the most fun I've had at a gig this year.
I'm strangely the least hyped I've ever been to go to Glastonbury at the moment, but I'm very excited to see them again at the festival.

Ditto.  Fantastic in Manchester last week

4 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Had the same for Architects on Friday. Thought they were looking at massive pits in the middle? Clearly not for Metronomy mind.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

That sucks, can't pretend I haven't enjoyed a crafty fag in the middle of the Ally Pally crowd in the past...

Tbh thought venues had given up with people smoking in doors now everyone has an elf bar, went to a gig the other week and even the steward's were using them during the set 

1 hour ago, NoBuses said:

Tbh thought venues had given up with people smoking in doors now everyone has an elf bar, went to a gig the other week and even the steward's were using them during the set 

I was at a Kings of Leon show in Birmingham five years ago and the amount of smoke around was kinda extraordinary. Cigarettes, weed rollers, vapes of different flavours - was a real sensory bombardment. I don't smoke and really don't enjoy the sensation, so it was not the most pleasant vibe. Though maybe it didn't help a couple having a fight ruined The Bucket, which is one of my favourites.

So, good to know that if anything it's got further down the line.

In the last few weeks I've seen bbno$, who is at the bouncy whimsical end of rap.  A fun party night.  Then Connie Constance - developing nicely into one of those indie/soul/unclassifiable acts worth a look - supporting the brilliant Nova Twins whose heavy groovy riffs and huge energy made them one of the best bands I've seen in years.  Stormzy at the vile soulless corporate O2 was a proper big show, with the same high-wattage star quality he used to conquer Glastonbury.  Then it was The Mysterines.  I like the band, the songs are great, and the sound is tight and powerful.  But I was not engaged, because they, with the exception of the bassist, looked bored.  Contrast the with the incendiary Yard Act four nights later, who blew me away.  Fully deserving of the hype.  Two days later the funky and cool Charlotte Adigery and Bolis Pupul grabbed everyone's feet and forced them to dance.   A very engaging pair with a very fine show.  Then to The Wombats at the appalling O2, with my daughter.  A much more straightforward rock show than Stormzy's extravaganza, but when you've got that many sing-along tunes, the crowd ain't gonna care.  The Mystery Jets were pretty good too - although I prefer the newer '70's-influenced rock to the slighter indie fare of their early days.  I was in the minority, though.  Wet Leg were an absolute blast, and were clearly having a ball, which adds to my enjoyment of a gig.  Given how new they are, I see why people are excited about them.  Then Baby Queen who, as has been said elsewhere in this thread, was charismatic and full of energy, with a clutch of anthems which clearly connected with the crowd.  Kid Kapichi were a good political rock band, with the right sounds and shapes for that crowd.  A bit straightforward for my tastes, but I see why people like them.  Finally Girl In Red at the Roundhouse, who has become a very big thing.  Her voice was shot, but the adoring crowd didn't care.  and the show - an arena visual show, crammed into a mid-sized venues.  All in all - a fine selection!

Saw The Lottery Winners at Wedgewood Rooms, Portsmouth last Thursday- always a good feel good fun night out. They have been supporting Sleeper and are now on tour with Richard Ashcroft and Reverend and the Makers but this was their own gig. Great band.