Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

1 hour ago, dondo said:

Was due to see them in Leeds a couple of weeks ago after it being rescheduled twice but couldn't make it as we were away but managed to get rid of tickets via ticketmaster's reselling thing.

Got tickets to see them in York in August which should be good.  

On top form again, Alex, the new drummer, has fitted straight in. 

• Upvote 1

Low were so good. I'm not ashamed to say that I welled up when they played Two-Step near the end.

They were the band that got me through lockdown with their weekly Instagram live shows and all that came out tonight.

I have so much love for them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, benali said:

Low were so good. I'm not ashamed to say that I welled up when they played Two-Step near the end.

They were the band that got me through lockdown with their weekly Instagram live shows and all that came out tonight.

I have so much love for them.

2-step into When I Go Deaf to end - wow!  Also Sunflower earlier on!  

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

2-step into When I Go Deaf to end - wow!  Also Sunflower earlier on!  

If they'd asked me to pick which older songs they should play it wouldn't have been a much different choice.

Hopefully the GM set length will allow for a good section of classics in the summer.

Back from Mitski in Brixton.  I thought parts of it were amazing and other parts only okay.  The new songs aren’t particularly to my taste but they were better live than I expected.  The run of Nobody > I Will > Drunk Walk Home > Happy > You’re Best American Girl was spectacular. 

Bit of a surreal ending as someone in the crowd collapsed just before the encore started and had to be stretchered out.  Was really concerning for a period as it looked like something really serious had happened and we were all shouting for Mitski to stop and get the lights to be turned on.  I’m not sure what happened but it didn’t look too bad in the end thankfully. 

The Divine Comedy last night - truly exquisite. Felt like an age ago that I bought those tickets for Mum and Dad and myself but my god was it worth the wait. Unsure if I can think of another gig I've been at that has sounded better too.

And National Express was the closest I've ever seen the Philharmonic crowd go to full taps AFF.

Gary Numan in Brighton last night. Fantastic show, first time I've seen him apart from catching a snippet at BDs last year. So much heavier than I'd expected, was more like an industrial gig than anything else. Just massive sound. Minimal stage chat (think we got hello and goodbye 😄 ) but still managing to interact just by being a captivating performer along with the guitarist and bassist. Fucking brilliant. Glad I took my earplugs.

20220502_093821.jpg

20220502_093902.jpg

On 4/29/2022 at 11:52 PM, blue6field said:

Just in from Grandaddy in Glasgow, wonderful evening listening to the Sophtware Slump played along with an orchestra!

I saw Grandaddy last week as well (in London last Tuesday).  It was sooo good and the orchestra added a new dimension to the album.

I note there is the full concert from Manchester on youtube .  It's worth a watch (which is what I am doing now).

• Upvote 1

Saw Foals and Shame last night At Olympia. Excellent night - Foals really have a superb back catalogue to choose from now. New songs all went down well but the run of tracks at the end was superb and a real reminder how good they are!

Last Night - Johnny Marr / Blondie in LIverpool.  Both Fantastic.  So many people not in the venue for the 19:30 Marr set which was a great mix of current and Smiths.

Tonight - Confidence Man - Ritz, Manchester

Thursday - Public Service Broadcasting - Focus, Wrexham

Sat - Sunday - Moovin Festival Barn Party - Etherow Country Park

Sunday - Spiritualized - Bridgwater Hall - Manchester

Monday - Tired.  Very tired

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Dua Lipa tonight, Griff and Angele supporting. Looking forward to it as a show but hate schlepping to and from the O2, only as a delayed Xmas present for Mrs Q from 2019!

First Arena gig last night for first time in literally years. Just confirmed avoidance by choice in general.  I cant get my head round being able to hear an echo. Literally could heard the stage through the PA and then a fraction of a second delay I assume bouncing back off the rear of the venue?

A good gig but apart from festivals, I only usually see bands where the Audience can be counted in the hundreds ( Sometimes dozens) rather than thousands. J

2 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

First Arena gig last night for first time in literally years. Just confirmed avoidance by choice in general.  I cant get my head round being able to hear an echo. Literally could heard the stage through the PA and then a fraction of a second delay I assume bouncing back off the rear of the venue?

A good gig but apart from festivals, I only usually see bands where the Audience can be counted in the hundreds ( Sometimes dozens) rather than thousands. J

It's not even the sound quality that's an issue for me.  The O2 in particular just feels soulless to me, massive pain in the arse to get to, and I can count on the fingers of one hand the bands that I'd want to pay that much to see! I'm generally with you, give me capacity in the hundreds and below and I'm happy.  Couple of exceptions for somewhere like Brighton Centre or Brighton Dome depending on the act.

Saw Confidence Man tonight in Manchester. One of the most fun gigs I’ve ever been to. From the moment they came on stage it was nothing but pure energy, fun choreography and bangers that had the crowd shaking their money makers. Got a ticket for this gig in case they ended up in a clash at Glastonbury, but it really is gonna take a hell of an act to sway me the other way because I think a set from them on the Park will be an all timer. 

Audiobooks were supporting and they’re fast becoming one of my favourite live acts to see. Saw them twice on a whim and both times they’ve won the crowd over massively and been fantastic. Looking at their tour dates supporting Courtney Barnett around the festival I think they must be a good bet for a Williams Green slot, or possibly even early doors Park.