Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

9 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Love that gaff and Ouseburn in general. The Free Trade Inn is up there with the best of the best.

It's a great area, I've not been to the Free Trade Inn yet but I'll check it out mate. The Ship Inn across the street from the Cluny does really nice vegan food if you are ever in the area again mate. 

34 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Went to Manchester gig last night. Was a proper belter. Good review here which sums up my experience. Ron and Russel have a combined age of 152!

https://louderthanwar.com/sparks-manchester-albert-hall-live-review/

Sounds similarly excellent, couldn't believe how great Russell's voice sounds at that age too. 

You prompted me to shell out a whole pound to see the review for Glasgow... 

Screenshot_20220415-181743_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181813_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181824_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181834_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181900_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yep, and to think I almost didn't go! Had one of those surges of CBA late afternoon. Town will be full of bell ends who have been out all day etc etc. 

So glad I dug in. A truly cathartic evening

Town was full of bell ends an all. Made it a quick In and out job. Back home for DIPA and Single Malt🙂

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

Went to Manchester gig last night. Was a proper belter. Good review here which sums up my experience. Ron and Russel have a combined age of 152!

I managed to get a ticket for my wife from twickets the other day. She loved it and cried several times. 

but she said the venue was really warm. 

18 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I managed to get a ticket for my wife from twickets the other day. She loved it and cried several times. 

but she said the venue was really warm. 

Redders mate. Especially upstairs. I went to see Mogwai perform Zidane in there several years ago in some sort of Manchester Heatwave.  Like a sauna. Love the gaff but it gets sooo hot.

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

Yep, and to think I almost didn't go! Had one of those surges of CBA late afternoon. Town will be full of bell ends who have been out all day etc etc. 

So glad I dug in. A truly cathartic evening

Town was full of bell ends an all. Made it a quick In and out job. Back home for DIPA and Single Malt🙂

I shelled out hundreds to go to the gig, as a once in a lifetime band and venue, but an hour before was sitting in a restaurant practically double dropping immodium. Thankfully it did the job perfectly as Barrowlands is a 1900 capacity all standing venue - so I knew there would be no respite! 

Walked gingerly back to the hotel and celebrated my success and the incredible gig with a cup of tea 😁

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Sounds similarly excellent, couldn't believe how great Russell's voice sounds at that age too. 

You prompted me to shell out a whole pound to see the review for Glasgow... 

Screenshot_20220415-181743_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181813_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181824_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181834_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220415-181900_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for posting that, it was a fantastic night. They’re always great live, but the atmosphere in the Barras made it extra special.

72A26EA1-D0EB-4898-921A-8C0FB4183DA7.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Thanks for posting that, it was a fantastic night. They’re always great live, but the atmosphere in the Barras made it extra special.

72A26EA1-D0EB-4898-921A-8C0FB4183DA7.jpeg

I've never been there before and may never again, but it was fantastic. So many smiling faces from the outset and pretty much every song being celebrated to the rafters 😁

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

I've never been there before and may never again, but it was fantastic. So many smiling faces from the outset and pretty much every song being celebrated to the rafters 😁

It struck me that, given the deep cuts in the setlist, a lot of the audience won’t have been too familiar with much of the first half and yet they lapped it all up

5 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Love that gaff and Ouseburn in general. The Free Trade Inn is up there with the best of the best.

Why the F did I live in Jesmond when I'm a pub & gig person not a bar and club person at uni... we all make mistakes at that age I guess... tw@ (10-15 years ago now). Loved the Cluny the one time I managed to get there.

5 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

13 minutes ago, benali said:

Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard supported by Panic Shack at the Joiners tonight. Another very enjoyable evening.

I find them absolutely charming.  Thoroughly enjoyed their sxsw set a few weeks back.  

I saw Big Thief last night.  I'm hoping they'll be in the park at glasto, though I suppose John Peel is a possibility too.  Every time I see then I know I'm going to be blown away, and every time they deliver 

Saw The Vaccines in Leeds last night. Came out about 8.30 which seemed early and were done just after 9.30, a couple of their songs are less than 3 mins long so would have liked a longer setlist or chat between songs. Really enjoyable as always and the new songs slotted in nicely think they played 5 off the latest album and 1 off the new EP. 

On 4/15/2022 at 5:51 PM, Jay Pee said:

Yes, I was there too. A unique experience, never seen them before but really glad I had the opportunity. 'All That' off the last album should have been a hit!

Saw Bilk at the Lou in Bristol on Friday.  They sounded like an 80s punk band. Was very funny, they were having fun and the kids loved it.

Off for something completely different tonight- Melt Banana.  There is no way I'm forgetting my earplugs for this gig.  I expect my internal organs are in for a battering. 

5 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Saw Bilk at the Lou in Bristol on Friday.  They sounded like an 80s punk band. Was very funny, they were having fun and the kids loved it.

Off for something completely different tonight- Melt Banana.  There is no way I'm forgetting my earplugs for this gig.  I expect my internal organs are in for a battering. 

Bilk are great! They are releasing a debut album in September

Edited by NoBuses
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pilton digger said:

Melt Banana. Absolutely mad night in the Exchange. They were brutal, fast, loud and everything you need to put a huge smile on your face. They looked like they were enjoying it and gave it maximum beans.

Go and see them if you can, it may reset some of your opinions.

They are playing here on Wednesday but I also want to see Kristin Hersh the same night. Don't know which gig to go to, although it's a good dilemma to have a choice of 2 good things rather than none.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:01 AM, pilton digger said:

Melt Banana. Absolutely mad night in the Exchange. They were brutal, fast, loud and everything you need to put a huge smile on your face. They looked like they were enjoying it and gave it maximum beans.

Go and see them if you can, it may reset some of your opinions.

Would love to see them one day!