Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 4/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, ClementsMike said:

Saw Weller in Cheltenham last night. Great set and I know no one here will give a hoot 😄

I was there Friday also, brilliant gig and a superb setlist from him. Nice mix of Style Council, Jam and his solo stuff. Cracking!

On 4/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, fred quimby said:

Not Music

Saw Sarah Millican in the week, funny as always.

Punchdrunk, the burnt city, in London yesterday. They certainly know how to put that type of immersive show together. Their new home is immense. As with all their shows I have seen it is equal measure confusing and wondrous.  Loved they locked everyone's phones in bags so you were just involved in the show with no distractions. Some amazing detail but most went right over my head due to my lack of Greek literature knowledge. Still thinking about it today

We're going to Burnt City in June, and cannot wait.  Sleep No More blew my mind in NYC, so very excited by this.  Fully get your description of confusing and wonderous, and great to hear this is no different

Went to see EMF in London on Saturday.  Great show, it's the best I've heard them sounding in a long time.  The new stuff stands up well against the first two albums, and they're clearly enjoying being out there again.  Would work well in Avalon I'd say

2 minutes ago, Mamba said:

The War on Drugs were great last night in Birmingham. They are a pretty flawless live band and Adam is a genius. Light show was pretty cool too.

Was just going to post something similar. Hotter than the sun in there though, as usual.

Was at TWOD in Birmingham too and thought it was fantastic. Came on at 8.45 and played right up to the 11 curfew, always appreciate when a band skips the encore nonsense and gets on with it. Their songs are obvs great anyway but they sounded huge live. Give them a stage to headline at Glastonbury and watch them make everyone's night.

Support was by a band called Lo Moon, who I didn't know but thought were really good too. They had a sound that suited a band that would support TWOD that's for sure.

Saw Andy Fairweather Low in Cardiff on Sunday.  On top form.  A set in two parts, acoustic and then more electric second half.  The band were really enjoying themselves and AFL was witty and chatty as well as being a stunning guitarist.  Odd that about half the audience were wearing masks throughout. 

Beautiful acoustic gig from Father John Misty at St George's Church Bristol last night.  Went to the early (1830) show.  Just FJM, an acoustic guitar and a pianist playing a baby grand.

Really appreciative crowd who were silent other than applause and when FJM opened the floor to impromptu Q&A, plus very few people filming.

For £35 inc a vinyl copy of the new album it was a steal.  

Is anybody going to khurangabin tomorrow at ally pally?

Absolutely buzzing to go,  have wanted to see these guys for a few years now since I was introduced!

When finishing out they were playing glastonbury it's almost a relief because there is now no pressure to see them there  

Two years ago I bought tickets for Sparks in Barrowlands Glasgow, as hadn't seen them or been there and heard both were great. 

Two years later went to see them tonight and it fully lived up to billing, I've been to a lot of festivals and gigs and it's hard to think of a time an audience has been more full of warmth and love for a band. 

BTW two extra reasons I'm thankful-its a 700 mile round trip so would have been a right disappointment, secondly I was dosed up with immodium so was delighted to get through 2 hours in a standing venue. 

20220413_212255.jpg

Edited by clarkete

Khurangabin smashed it at ally pally! Would Deffo see again at glastonbury!

They played all their own classics, and mashed it Up with some well known older classics. For example,David BowiE, let's dance. Sccoby snacks. So many more but can't remember as I'm ready for bed after a few too many drinks.

Almost felt like a warm up for glastonbury. Seeing what was popular.

Either way, hell of a show.  Not to be missed 

On 4/14/2022 at 1:39 AM, clarkete said:

Two years ago I bought tickets for Sparks in Barrowlands Glasgow, as hadn't seen them or been there and heard both were great. 

Two years later went to see them tonight and it fully lived up to billing, I've been to a lot of festivals and gigs and it's hard to think of a time an audience has been more full of warmth and love for a band. 

BTW two extra reasons I'm thankful-its a 700 mile round trip so would have been a right disappointment, secondly I was dosed up with immodium so was delighted to get through 2 hours in a standing venue. 

20220413_212255.jpg

Went to Manchester gig last night. Was a proper belter. Good review here which sums up my experience. Ron and Russel have a combined age of 152!

https://louderthanwar.com/sparks-manchester-albert-hall-live-review/