Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

I haven't been to loads of gigs recently but I did see Black Midi at the Brudenell Social Club earlier this year and they blew me away. I was aware of them and that they were good live before the 2019 festival but couldn't get myself moving in time for their 11am slot. I'll be going out of my way to drag the rest of my party to them this year though. 

Shameless repost from another thread as i am craving more cyber high fives..

Got back from the Czech Republic yesterday after seeing them in Prague on Sunday and Brno on Monday.  Both fantastic gigs but both very different.  Prague being a typical Fontaines DC gig as in rammed and absolutely effing mental.  Ended up in the pit with people mostly half my age.  Brno was not sold out and was a Monday night.  Still great but went for the front stage option which was probably more to do with needing a rest after three days on the lash.

it was lovely to be overseas for the first time in a couple of years and also a great leveller experiencing so much of the Ukranian "Special Operation" fall out with the humanitarian assistance camps set up at the major train stations.

My head is still spinning from the experiences of the last few days  i have attached a few pics but think my cheap Chinese smart phone camera was operating at the limit of its capacity.IMG20220328211329.thumb.jpg.5e54b32f45b0d3041857fc1c77f4f593.jpg

IMG20220328213016.jpg

IMG20220328213836.jpg

IMG20220328214729.jpg

Well tonight I was meant to be seeing The Beths but apparently one of them has COVID so it has been cancelled this morning. Would have been nice if they had thought to update their social media so I didn't find out when I got to the venue. @QuarkI know you were due to see them a few days after us so I would suggest checking with the venue before you set off. 

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Well tonight I was meant to be seeing The Beths but apparently one of them has COVID so it has been cancelled this morning. Would have been nice if they had thought to update their social media so I didn't find out when I got to the venue. @QuarkI know you were due to see them a few days after us so I would suggest checking with the venue before you set off. 

Oh that's poor form. Either band or venue would have been nice.

Due to see them on Tuesday so yeah, that might kiobosh it. I've ended up a wee bit up in the air about it anyway as one of the cats now has an operation that day, so selfishly it might save me having to decide what to do!

25 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Is anyone going to the 6 music festival in Cardiff this weekend? Pretty great lineup IMO. Listened to The Manics tonight & it sounded really good on the radio. I'd sort of fallen out of love with them in recent years, but they sounded on top form to me!

Going to pixies tomorrow and FJM on Sunday. Very excited for both!

48 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Is anyone going to the 6 music festival in Cardiff this weekend? Pretty great lineup IMO. Listened to The Manics tonight & it sounded really good on the radio. I'd sort of fallen out of love with them in recent years, but they sounded on top form to me!

Unfortunately not have been waiting and hoping that 6 would bring the festival to Wales for years, but it’s one of my mates stag weekend in Liverpool so having to miss it

Saw Placebo tonight at Islington Assembly Hall as bagged tickets from twickets today.

Mainly the new album and a few songs from the last few albums. Nice to see them in such a small venue and liked the fact that phones not allowed. Some real good tracks on the new album but would have loved a few of the old bangers from early albums but I think a lot of those songs are behind them now or put away for a  few years. Played Blind from Meds, love that track.

Seeing them again a few times this year. It will be interesting to see if tonights set will be the one played at festivals and their tour towards the end of the year.

10 hours ago, Quark said:

Oh that's poor form. Either band or venue would have been nice.

Due to see them on Tuesday so yeah, that might kiobosh it. I've ended up a wee bit up in the air about it anyway as one of the cats now has an operation that day, so selfishly it might save me having to decide what to do!

Yes selfishly I'm just annoyed I didn't know in advance as I would have gone to Ibibio Sound Machine tonight instead had I known and saved myself a trip into Manchester in the freezing cold. Hope your cat is ok.

6 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yes selfishly I'm just annoyed I didn't know in advance as I would have gone to Ibibio Sound Machine tonight instead had I known and saved myself a trip into Manchester in the freezing cold. Hope your cat is ok.

We're worryingly similar GP, was debating a last minute ticket to Ibibio last night! I fear you may be my doppelganger...

Needs to be opened up for biopsy from liver, pancreas & intestine.  Got a couple of recurring issues so they need to figure out exactly what it is they're trying to fight 😞

1 hour ago, Quark said:

We're worryingly similar GP, was debating a last minute ticket to Ibibio last night! I fear you may be my doppelganger...

Needs to be opened up for biopsy from liver, pancreas & intestine.  Got a couple of recurring issues so they need to figure out exactly what it is they're trying to fight 😞

Even down to having to deal with poorly pet issues. I fear you are my much healthier, much fitter male counterpart!! 

Hope poor kitty is ok. 

Enola Gay tore apart Heartbreakers in Southampton on Thursday. A non-stop sonic assault from start to finish. Their guitarist is something else, spent some time crouched down just playing pedals and abandoned the stage entirely to get in the mosh pit at one point.

Folly Group tonight and Bambara supported by the excellent Holy Motors tomorrow, both at the Joiners.

• Like 1

Bambara at Bedford Esquires last night. I've waited two years for this gig - was it worth the wait? You bet it was, band on terrific form. 

Support was from the really excellent Holy Motors. I'd never heard of this band until yesterday afternoon and they absolutely blew me away. Especially as they literally walked into the venue, set up and played. They were late because they'd been held up in immigration ffs (they're from Estonia). I apologised to them afterwards because its embarrasing and explained that our government is a bunch of c**ts. 

• Like 1