Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

7 minutes ago, Lubic87 said:

Finally got to see The Beths tonight at the Brude in Leeds. What a lovable band. Get them on the farm.

Agreed, saw them last night at the Loft in Southampton. Support act, Cherym were good fun too.

Saw Future Islands in Ally Pally on Fri and Navy Blue in XOYO yesterday - both excellent for different reasons!

Sam Herring is just a wonderful front man, loved the energy. Navy made everyone meditate for 1 min before the show started which was really nice.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

Finally got to see The Beths tonight at the Brude in Leeds. What a lovable band. Get them on the farm.

Good stuff, seeing them next week in Brighton.  Seen them a few times now, been really nice to follow their progress from playing for free above a pub with a collection pot to help with travel costs to playing some decent venues.

Has their stage patter got any less awkward? Really endearing but they always seem so uncomfortable with crowd chat 😄

Ezra Collective at Village Underground in That London last night. Great fun and I'm always pleased to see a band happy to be out and playing again. 

I know they played last time, but a slot in the late afternoon sunshine would go down a storm (again).

Ezra at VU.jpg

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Good stuff, seeing them next week in Brighton.  Seen them a few times now, been really nice to follow their progress from playing for free above a pub with a collection pot to help with travel costs to playing some decent venues.

Has their stage patter got any less awkward? Really endearing but they always seem so uncomfortable with crowd chat 😄

Plenty of endearingly awkward chat! Including a bit where they take turns introducing each other. But the crowd were in good spirits, and they seemed more comfortable as it went on.

Dragged a friend along who thought they were great. Got in an efests new music thread reference when asked how I'd discovered them. Probably one of your recommendations!

On 3/28/2022 at 11:39 AM, TheNewUnion said:

I'm a bit late in reporting back (unless I did already and forgot). Echo and The Bunnymen were ace in Manchester last month, would love to see them somewhere, John Peel maybe? Dunno how big a crowd they would draw.

I'm totally biased as bunnymen one of my fave live bands . They were great in Manchester last month . They still have a reasonably decent following.  John peel would be ideal location for them probably early evening slot.  Days of anywhere bigger gone im afraid 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Haan said:

Saw Future Islands in Ally Pally on Fri and Navy Blue in XOYO yesterday - both excellent for different reasons!

Sam Herring is just a wonderful front man, loved the energy. Navy made everyone meditate for 1 min before the show started which was really nice.

Saw future islands in Manchester last week Sam is truly a wonderful front man who lives and breathes every song and every emotion . His relationship with the crowd is wonderful 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Haan said:

Saw FI at Manchester Academy last week, lucky to see them 4 times now and this might have been the best. Herring really is another lever of performer. Sound of the venue let it down a bit but the performance was immense. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sam Fender in Brighton last night. Aye, he's a bit good that lad! Great sound, great voice, great show. And seems like he's properly enjoying himself as well.

20220330_214300.jpg

I've only started listening to Sam recently, but I am very impressed with him. Really good hooky songs that actually say something interesting. Really looking forward to seeing him on the Farm now.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:19 AM, Padjeq said:

12th March 2022. Arena Birmingham

I happened to be at the original final gig by The Wanted, also in Birmingham, at the heavily papered Fusion Festival in 2014. I got in trouble online when I said the little one (Nathan Sykes, Ariana Grande's boyfriend of the time) didn't turn up to perform because the others were going to do him in for splitting up the band and going solo. Just the usual death threats and offers to suicide from what I at least hope were teenage girls. But now, after a Strictly Come Dancing win by one member (Jay), and a Strictly crash out by another (Max, who you may have seen disturbingly performing on prime time as Homer Simpson), they're back! They announced their comeback tour at a Stand Up To Cancer benefit gig last year organised by Wanted member Tom, who has an inoperable brain tumour, which affects his movement and has left one of his arms immobile.  At the SUTC gig, Tom mostly sat, and sang parts of the songs.

image.png.1535b15634486e1af350939f6322c77a.png

The lads made their entrance on a elevated platform that cut through the middle of the staging. It was just four of them, although I had seen online that Tom was worse than he'd been last September, and would not be performing. The lads walked around the stage for various bits of the songs, enjoying themselves and pissing about, while the audience of mostly women of various ages screamed, sang and stomped. Atmosphere at a boyband show is unparalleled, and I'm glad I've seen as many of them as I have, given how fleeting some of their careers are.

As the crowd chanted 'We want Tom!', the lads returned for an encore of Glad You Came, their transatlantic EDM crossover mega-hit, complete this time with Tom, who sat in sunglasses atop a throne on the elevated platform. Some of the boys stayed with him, and the audience sang his parts. Quite unlike anything I've seen at a show before, uplifting and very sad at the same time.

image.png.acc33d3eb48ecda8c1dea4498b38aba9.png

Tom died yesterday. Really really sad.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

Just managed to nab a pair off Twickets for Yard Act in Hackney next week.

Buzzing for that. Their album is my favourite of the year so far.

I signed up for Twickets alerts for Wet Leg. Wish I hadn't because every alert reminds me how isolated where I live is. Even their closest gig is a 2 hour drive. 

1 minute ago, blutarsky said:

I signed up for Twickets alerts for Wet Leg. Wish I hadn't because every alert reminds me how isolated where I live is. Even their closest gig is a 2 hour drive. 

If you're on Twickets get the app and set up push notifications, I found by the time I had seen an email the tickets had already gone.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Yes I feel for you growing up in Ireland about 100 miles from Dublin which was the only place that anyone ever went I know what it's like. I never take for granted how lucky I am to be right near Manchester. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

If you're on Twickets get the app and set up push notifications, I found by the time I had seen an email the tickets had already gone.

Good call, hadn't thought to do that. Got eyes on a couple of things on Twickets so just installed the app 👍