Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 3/20/2022 at 1:21 PM, WestCountryGirl said:

It's a mobile ticket transfer, so should be able to be pretty instantaneous, but still nothing from my seller. I have a horrible feeling the same thing has happened again as it did in January 😔 only this time, don't have time for the back and forth

Fortunately, it all worked out! It was the same situation, but this time the seller just suggested we meet up and go in to the gig together. They were great seats, too. Much better than the one I bought in January.

But most importantly - the show was brilliant. So glad to know that I'll be seeing Sam Fender again on the farm in June (absolute clash beater, nothing will stop me) and then again in July. Gonna be a great summer.

The Dying Light had long been my favourite from the second album, and that was definitely my top track of the show. Only gutted he didn't do Paradigms or Leave Fast, which he had the night before. Hopefully I'll get to see them both over the next two sightings.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Fortunately, it all worked out! It was the same situation, but this time the seller just suggested we meet up and go in to the gig together. They were great seats, too. Much better than the one I bought in January.

But most importantly - the show was brilliant. So glad to know that I'll be seeing Sam Fender again on the farm in June (absolute clash beater, nothing will stop me) and then again in July. Gonna be a great summer.

The Dying Light had long been my favourite from the second album, and that was definitely my top track of the show. Only gutted he didn't do Paradigms or Leave Fast, which he had the night before. Hopefully I'll get to see them both over the next two sightings.

Glad to hear it worked out in the end.

I am seeing him supporting the Killers in mid June, then again at Glasto a week or so later, but even so, I might see if can grab some tickets for this Thursday in Dublin.  All these good reviews are really tempting me!

11th March 2022. Institute 3

Star on the ascendance and second coming of the lord and saviour christchild Bree Runway performed to a crowd that for the first time in my life made me feel like I might be too old to be coming to these things.

The choreographed performances, with dancers and band, were wasted on the low stage of the Institute 3. A couple of lads next to me at the back were taking it in turns doing piggy backs in order to get a glimpse. No one could really see anything, but we all felt it. She has the pure energy of what would've been a slam dunk can't miss arena headliner, back when there were people who knew how to promote an act as good as this.

image.png.7b5f8f66157cbf9c5536e4d62e123b4e.png

12th March 2022. Arena Birmingham

I happened to be at the original final gig by The Wanted, also in Birmingham, at the heavily papered Fusion Festival in 2014. I got in trouble online when I said the little one (Nathan Sykes, Ariana Grande's boyfriend of the time) didn't turn up to perform because the others were going to do him in for splitting up the band and going solo. Just the usual death threats and offers to suicide from what I at least hope were teenage girls. But now, after a Strictly Come Dancing win by one member (Jay), and a Strictly crash out by another (Max, who you may have seen disturbingly performing on prime time as Homer Simpson), they're back! They announced their comeback tour at a Stand Up To Cancer benefit gig last year organised by Wanted member Tom, who has an inoperable brain tumour, which affects his movement and has left one of his arms immobile.  At the SUTC gig, Tom mostly sat, and sang parts of the songs.

image.png.1535b15634486e1af350939f6322c77a.png

The lads made their entrance on a elevated platform that cut through the middle of the staging. It was just four of them, although I had seen online that Tom was worse than he'd been last September, and would not be performing. The lads walked around the stage for various bits of the songs, enjoying themselves and pissing about, while the audience of mostly women of various ages screamed, sang and stomped. Atmosphere at a boyband show is unparalleled, and I'm glad I've seen as many of them as I have, given how fleeting some of their careers are.

As the crowd chanted 'We want Tom!', the lads returned for an encore of Glad You Came, their transatlantic EDM crossover mega-hit, complete this time with Tom, who sat in sunglasses atop a throne on the elevated platform. Some of the boys stayed with him, and the audience sang his parts. Quite unlike anything I've seen at a show before, uplifting and very sad at the same time.

image.png.acc33d3eb48ecda8c1dea4498b38aba9.png

5 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Got him next week in Brighton, I shall expect good things!

Chvrches excellent in Manchester on Sat, though now even more disappointed they're not at Glasto. That said, they've got a gap in their tour where they only seem to be in Europe for Mad Cool. And no other UK festivals have announced them yet.

21st March. Muthers Studio, Birmingham.

Originally booked for the 3 times larger and 10 times worse Mama Roux's, Lynks’ show was downgraded to Muthers Studio, a gig room in a band practice space. Similar in size to the Institute 3, but with a higher stage and rear access, it’s the one brum venue I’d never seen a gig in. I loved it. Great sound and lights, not absolutely rammo. I was here primarily for support Jessica Winter who cut about the stage in a grey suit, like a monochrome thin white duke, splashing the crowd with her electropop. The Allie X influence is obvious. Glad I got to see her in such a small place. Big things could be on their way, but I’m tempering my expectations, having seen so many artists go from VEVO DSCVR to nothing.

image.thumb.png.65fb3833ab77e9b3d4f4d3a668631535.png

Lynks was a rowdy good time despite all their gear being left behind in Bristol that morning. He had to piece together his backing tracks from emails sent to people soliciting opinions over the years. Not sure if there were outfit changes on previous nights. You wouldn’t know anything was amiss though, as the show was great. A hot ticket in the waiting.

image.thumb.png.0ff2546b397951d6da4f0cbf71bf7da3.png

Well last night was a blast. Great gig. Self Esteem seemed very happy with the response. Lots of people singing her songs at her which she is clearly getting used to. Manchester Cathedral sounds like a wonderful venue but it's actually a bit rubbish and the big columns can make sightlines really difficult so we got there early and got right to the front. Paid off as the atmosphere was fantastic. Her first support act was one of her backing singers Marged. She has a stunning voice. Forced to sing a capella (which must be intimidating as her guitarist had covid) but honestly couldn't even hear any talking throughout it from where I was. Second support was a local act called Sophie. They clearly had some fans in the crowd. The end of their set was stronger than the beginning but all in all a great nights entertainment. I'm curious where she'll be placed on the farm. I had hoped by watching her that if I got tickets it would be a clash out of the way but I suspect I'd be eager to see her again. 

SE1.jpg

SE2.jpg

SE3.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Well last night was a blast. Great gig. Self Esteem seemed very happy with the response. Lots of people singing her songs at her which she is clearly getting used to. Manchester Cathedral sounds like a wonderful venue but it's actually a bit rubbish and the big columns can make sightlines really difficult so we got there early and got right to the front. Paid off as the atmosphere was fantastic. Her first support act was one of her backing singers Marged. She has a stunning voice. Forced to sing a capella (which must be intimidating as her guitarist had covid) but honestly couldn't even hear any talking throughout it from where I was. Second support was a local act called Sophie. They clearly had some fans in the crowd. The end of their set was stronger than the beginning but all in all a great nights entertainment. I'm curious where she'll be placed on the farm. I had hoped by watching her that if I got tickets it would be a clash out of the way but I suspect I'd be eager to see her again. 

SE1.jpg

SE2.jpg

SE3.jpg

Self Esteem are just so incredible. Seen them 4 times now! Also seeing them next week - her and Wet Leg are supporting Johnny Marr 🕺🏻

15 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Self Esteem are just so incredible. Seen them 4 times now! Also seeing them next week - her and Wet Leg are supporting Johnny Marr 🕺🏻

Yep last night was my 3rd time and we bought tickets to her next show at the gig. A Johnny Marr gig with that support would be immense. Just introduced one of my Spanish colleagues to Self Esteem today and she is now a big fan. 

21 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Her backing singers are great. Certainly on my to see list at the Farm

So not music but went to See Andy Zaltzman, Satirist for hire, in Bristol. Really funny, proper Loling.  Laughter is great for the soul.

Something very sweet happend. We went to See Rachel Parris on Saturday, we thought it would start at 8 so rocked up 7.45 to find out it started at 7, doh, bought a drink and went in. Anyway getting a drink at Andy Zaltzman and the bar lady said She recognised me, I mention Saturday and she says yes "I remember you and your wife as you were just so happy together" was nice to hear, as we are. However, I wish I said "that's because we are getting divorced" always think of these things after.

Even though I will be seeing him twice more over the next 3 months, I couldn't resist bagging a few last minute tickets for Sam Fender last night in the 3 Arena in Dublin.  He was absolutely fantastic - I expected it to be good and he did not disappoint.  Cracking atmosphere - first big gig for me since Feb 2020 and boy was it good to be back at a big show and things feeling completely normal.  He came out with some big hitters - Will We Talk / Getting Started / Dead Boys (which I love) and it kept up all the way though.  The back end though was immense.  The run from The Dying Light through to the encore with Saturday, Seventeen Going Under and  Hypersonic Missiles was one of the best ends to a show I have heard.  The roar when he played the first few chords of Seventeen Going Under was what it's all about. It really went off - everyone joining in a massive singalong.

Still find it strange he isn't headlining a main stage one night - if he keeps on like this and brings out another hit album, surely its only a matter of time.

Edited by circus92