Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Thought PVA were really disappointing, and I'm a fan. They played a lot of unreleased stuff and only played a couple of ones I knew at the end. But the didn't play their most well-known / biggest song, Divine Intervention. Not sure what it is with these new bands not wanting to play their most popular songs. I was excited to see them as they'd cancelled on me at a festival because of covid, so I'd been wanting to see them for a while. Wasn't best pleased and its definitely reduced my enthusiasm about them.

Saw Bronagh Gallagher on Friday.  Best known as an actress ('The Commitments', 'Pulp Fiction' amongst many others), but a brilliant singer too. Three albums under her belt; self-written material.  She played with a full band, including backing singers, and a guest appearance by the Dublin Gospel Choir.  Pity her gigs are so rare.

Went to see Yard Act in Bristol on Monday. Fantastic performance. 

No doubt in my mind that they are going to get bigger in coming months.

Baba Ali was a great support too. Though I just admit that, even though they sounded great, by the end of their set I was starting to get bored of the two of them just standing by their machines.

Wasn’t expecting them to bounce around the stage or stage dive or anything but a bit movement wouldn’t have done any harm.

2 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Went to see Yard Act in Bristol on Monday. Fantastic performance. 

No doubt in my mind that they are going to get bigger in coming months.

Baba Ali was a great support too. Though I just admit that, even though they sounded great, by the end of their set I was starting to get bored of the two of them just standing by their machines.

Wasn’t expecting them to bounce around the stage or stage dive or anything but a bit movement wouldn’t have done any harm.

We were there at that gig! Agree Yard Act are so good. Plus the frontman makes me laugh ( in a good way!).

I really liked Baba Ali. I know he had issues with his kit, but the music was still spellbinding.  I'd be up for seeing more of him.

Saw Rolo Tamassi at the Fleece Bristol on Wednesday.  That was fun. The revamp of the venue included raising the stage. Which is a bonus when you are a short arse like me. I was expecting the sound to be louder but even so, at times,  I could feel the bass hit me.

I really enjoyed one of the two support bands, Heriot. A whole lot of black and long hair, punctuated by a UV painted guitar. 

12 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

We were there at that gig! Agree Yard Act are so good. Plus the frontman makes me laugh ( in a good way!).

I really liked Baba Ali. I know he had issues with his kit, but the music was still spellbinding.  I'd be up for seeing more of him.

Yeah the sound for Baba Ali was great. Realise I’m being a bit harsh,  it’s just that he and the guitarist both stood on the same spot throughout the set which didn’t help the visuals.

Didn’t realise that they had issues with his kit though so that could be the reason they didn’t move away from it.

11 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Saw Rolo Tamassi at the Fleece Bristol on Wednesday.  That was fun. The revamp of the venue included raising the stage. Which is a bonus when you are a short arse like me. I was expecting the sound to be louder but even so, at times,  I could feel the bass hit me.

I really enjoyed one of the two support bands, Heriot. A whole lot of black and long hair, punctuated by a UV painted guitar. 

Haven’t been to the Fleece since the revamp so I’m glad it looks good.

Woukd have been at the Rolo Tomassi show  as well but was working away on Wednesday 

Just now, rivalschools.price said:

Yeah the sound for Baba Ali was great. Realise I’m being a bit harsh,  it’s just that he and the guitarist both stood on the same spot throughout the set which didn’t help the visuals.

Didn’t realise that they had issues with his kit though so that could be the reason they didn’t move away from it.

Baba's keyboard only got sound for the last song. Kudos to him for keeping his cool.

Saw IDLES in january. Tried to write about it in this thread a few times, then thought better of it.

We were itching for something to do saturday just gone when we saw online Orchards were playing at the Sunflower Lounge. Figured there'd be tickets on the door, so we went down in time for the second support, Petrie. A male duo comprising of a singer who complained he was hoarse today, but he'd persevere (for whose benefit, I do not know), and a multi-instrumentalist who should really master one instrument before deciding to play a few all within the same song. I remember the songs as sounding like a plinky Curiosity Killed The Cat, but I was drifting off in all honestly, asking myself questions like 'do I like music? do I like gigs? was it always this way?'. They cut their set short due to the medical issue (not sure if there's an airborne virus going around with symptoms including a sore throat. Might want to get a test), as he wanted to save his voice (got more important crowds have we)

Any doubt I had about enjoyment of gigs was blasted against the back wall the moment Orchards took to the stage. Imagine Pretty Girls Make Graves were on the DIY scene and influenced by Paramore's 'After Laughter'. On one early song the instruments converged into a wall of pure leg shaking sound that physically reminded me of the day I was electrocuted at work just prior to a Slipknot gig, which I spent the entirety of Behemoth's supporting set at trying not to shit myself.

The singer was a confident and charismatic presence, kicking her way through the songs. Could barely hear her through the unstoppable force of the guitar though. Sound guy did her a disservice there. Whole team played well, and I'd be interested to hear what they sound like in a field.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=cba2ac4e7b&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1726002590581426933&th=17f3fe361d028af5&view=fimg&realattid=17f3fe2e1b5cb42f671&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ-4pJ--EPxOVU4f3WG_ugYSWOAwBYyODcH-r44DbtGg8h2swIKQcgUv1Ax7THAcSQV7-vwFCnJiRs9JfPX4_rcWkoRb6w01qcX68b7KETYAu5qrCA08Bcl95O8&ats=2524608000000&sz=w958-h954

19 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

Wolf Alice were spectacular at the UEA Norwich last night, really impressed with their stage production too. Really can't wait to see what they do next 

Same, saw them in Plymouth last week and thought they were epic. Bass heavy and much more rocky than when we saw them at Bournemouth last year. 

On 2/27/2022 at 3:28 PM, Miyn said:

Thought PVA were really disappointing, and I'm a fan. They played a lot of unreleased stuff and only played a couple of ones I knew at the end. But the didn't play their most well-known / biggest song, Divine Intervention. Not sure what it is with these new bands not wanting to play their most popular songs. I was excited to see them as they'd cancelled on me at a festival because of covid, so I'd been wanting to see them for a while. Wasn't best pleased and its definitely reduced my enthusiasm about them.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing them play new songs as I saw them play pretty much the same set 4 times in 4 months last year.

Edited by benali

Saw Dave at the O2 last night which was incredible. 
The sound was spot on, could hear every word even over the super loud crowd. 
The stage & light set up was fantastic too.

He played all the hits & a couple of older ones which is fab along with loads of special guests as was his hometown show. 
Even had a very touching tribute to Jamal Edwards at the end which was great. 

To anyone going to round2 tonight, I am very jealous!

If he is at Glasto, it would take someone incredibly rare to keep me away from his set. 

FF58312A-F499-4FEE-90B8-BD6688933D25.jpeg

1 minute ago, gherring8 said:

He played all the hits & a couple of older ones which is fab along with loads of special guests as was his hometown show. 

If he is at Glasto, it would take someone incredibly rare to keep me away from his set. 

I see there's still a hole in the roof, letting the light in

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gherring8 said:

Also saw Dave in Manchester and he was fabulous. I think I was in the top 1% of oldest people there but he was fantastic. I was incredibly surprised that he didn't play Black though. He's a fantastic talent though and I'd definitely go and see him again if he was at the farm (and I was!)