Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I saw them at Rock City a week ago and they were frickin' awsome as always.  Tempted by this.

I'm in! Bargain of the year, less than £20. So excited for this - the Leadmill is a perfect venue for the full Hives experience 😁

Edited by sheffinghell
  • Upvote 1

Just now, sheffinghell said:

I'm in! Bargain of the year, less than £20 😁

Logged in at 12:02 - sold out. 😞 

21 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

The Hives have just announced a last minute gig for the Leadmill on Tues night. Praying to the ticket gods 😂

We just got tickets 😁 me and my partner happen to be staying with his friends in Rotherham, and we've managed to beg an extra night so we can go to the gig with them 🥳 thanks for letting us know about it.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, sedra said:

The Lottery Winners at Cheese and Grain last Saturday- excellent as usual with great support from Crystal Tides. First gig out for me since last September ( The National atAP) following my 2nd hip op in January! Was pleased I managed to stand up for 2 1/2 hours- getting in training for TS in June! 

IMG_2450.jpeg

Saw Lottery Winners on Thursday at Parish in Huddersfield. 3rd time seeing them since first time at Glasto last year. I absolutely love them both music wise and also just so funny and entertaining. 100% my favourite band right now and all thanks to Efestivals as I heard about them last year on here

On 4/4/2024 at 8:41 AM, Grinding aftertaste said:

Saw Underworld at the Usher Hall last night - fantastic. They're playing two sets on this tour so all the bangers plus a few new tunes and some deep cuts, 3 hour show including a short break. Incredible energy as always. Can't say the same for the crowd unfortunately - we were down the front but nevertheless surrounded by people standing motionless while they waited for Born Slippy.

A real shame they're not at the farm this year.

Off to see them in Manchester on Saturday, first time since 2016 at West Holts. 3 hour show sounds interesting

Cassyette at the Leadmill tonight. Really enjoyed her and one of the support acts - Harpy. The main support however - Witch Fever - are f**king terrible. Almost unlistenable.

6 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

The Hives at The Leadmill. The best £20 I've spent in some time!

1000030983.jpg

Great pic 😁 I was a lot more towards the back. I had no idea that 9 million people tried to get tickets, they sold out in -0.4s, and that he failed his maths GCSE lol

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

Great pic 😁 I was a lot more towards the back. I had no idea that 9 million people tried to get tickets, they sold out in -0.4s, and that he failed his maths GCSE lol

Cheers, it was a lucky one given the level of bouncing going on. Lots of small people down the front too, which is a rarity. I 🖤🤍 Hives fans

8 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

The Hives at The Leadmill. The best £20 I've spent in some time!

1000030983.jpg

Did you manage to reach 200% rock & roll?  😉 

Apart from a regular scattering of The Orb gigs recently, I saw Muse's  Will of The People tour, last year in Plymouth. There are not capitals large enough to spell out F*CKING AMAZING concert. I would truly love to witness more of that at Glastonbury.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:19 PM, Gnomicide said:

Red Rum Club at Liverpool Arena last night, sensational stuff. Quite surreal to see them at a big venue, given they play Academy size and smaller venues around the country.

Now 4 albums in, every song lapped up by the crowd, incredible scenes.

3 support acts in The Ks, The Cheap Thrills and The Kairos, all good but I think first on, The Kairos were my favourite. 

20240405_224909.thumb.jpg.fb3a1c6ed8403aa7717ed5493a7de127.jpg

Still quite incredible that they play smallish venues around the rest of the country but get crowds like this in Liverpool. 

Impromptu singalong there, started in the crowd after they'd finished the song.

I guess the same happens with a lot of other acts (Courteeners, Jamie Webster etc.) but perhaps not such a big contrast.

2 hours ago, LateStarter50 said:

Apart from a regular scattering of The Orb gigs recently, I saw Muse's  Will of The People tour, last year in Plymouth. There are not capitals large enough to spell out F*CKING AMAZING concert. I would truly love to witness more of that at Glastonbury.

Always been a great live act IMO, however I’ve not been mad on their most recent material. Roundly resided round here though so expect a like on for your comments! 😜

• Thanks 1

Couple of great but different gigs this week

Glen Hansard at City Varieties in Leeds on Tuesday. Saw him for the 1st time last year at Glastonbury and enjoyed it and this was another great show. 

Underworld at Aviva studios in Manchester last night. Great venue and sound and light were excellent. Underworld superb as well.  Just wish with my old bladder you didn't have to go downstairs for the loo. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pierce The Veil in Cardiff was incredible last night. Much better than Enter Shikari were a few months ago in the same venue. Probably showing my age here but not a fan of how much people film at gigs these days though, there were a few songs where nearly the whole crowd was filming and I think it really kills the atmosphere and it feels like you aren’t really getting lost in the moment through a lens of a screen. Wouldn’t mind more bands going down the Jack White route, be nice to have what comedy shows have. 

last week i  saw talking heads tribute act Speaking In Tongues they performed 'stop making sense' in full, and were utterly superb , they completely nailed it - 

as you probably  know I'm a huge talking heads fan, and i wouldn't accept any old rubbish.I'm surprised that they're not getting round more than they are...

the venue i saw them in was Bristol's lost horizons which is run by some of the shangri-la crew, so they might pop up somewhere at Pilton this summer, maybe.

• Upvote 2

Underworld at Aviva Studios, Manchester last night. Echoing what others have been saying, the usual slick performance from Karl and Rick. Two sets. Total running time about 2.5 hours. The first a little deeper and more esoteric, the second an all-out banger fest. Impressed with the new venue, cavernous main room but still feels quite intimate. Can't really comment on the sound quality cos I was on the barrier but it wasn't ridiculously loud from that position (unlike the Prodigy at Manchester Arena last year). Put it this way, I made the rookie mistake of forgetting my ear protection and my ears aren't ringing this morning. Probably not an indication of damage but there you go. I still refuse to believe Karl Hyde is 67 next month. Insane energy.

IMG_20240413_070325_575.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Underworld at Aviva Studios, Manchester last night. Echoing what others have been saying, the usual slick performance from Karl and Rick. Two sets. Total running time about 2.5 hours. The first a little deeper and more esoteric, the second an all-out banger fest. Impressed with the new venue, cavernous main room but still feels quite intimate. Can't really comment on the sound quality cos I was on the barrier but it wasn't ridiculously loud from that position (unlike the Prodigy at Manchester Arena last year). Put it this way, I made the rookie mistake of forgetting my ear protection and my ears aren't ringing this morning. Probably not an indication of damage but there you go. I still refuse to believe Karl Hyde is 67 next month. Insane energy.

IMG_20240413_070325_575.jpg

Was also there. Absolutely loved it. At times it felt like 1989 and back in some rave in an old warehouse. So many people off their nut.

Potential fiasco averted entry wise as we got to the venue at about 19:40 and the queue was beyond belief to get in. I said to the other half that someone senior needs to make a decision on speeding up entry or we ain't going to be in until 20:30. They had a load of staff with scanners on the VIP lanes and accessible lane doing zero so they made the correct call and just opened up everything to general admission. I think the drug dogs also took a back seat.

A great venue and will certainly be keeping an eye on it for future shows and a fantastic gig 

IMG20240412220244.jpg

• Like 2

Saw Kid Kapichi last night at the O2 Forum. The thing that tipped it over for me to buy tickets was the excellent Dead Pony were supporting and all for a reasonable £51 for 2 tickets all in.

Kid Kapachi and Dead Pony were fantastic. Can't say I thought much of the other support Dumb Bouys Fishing Club. They were not my sort of thing a rather poor beastie Boys style group inmy opinion Aalthough my partner loved them and said it was the first show she  had been to in ages were she liked all the acts. I did warm to Dumb Bouys when they came out to duet on New England with Kid Kapachi and one of the Dumb Bouys set sail on a inflatable dingy across the crowd. 

Also, Suggs came out to duet on Zombie Nation.

• Upvote 1