Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

11 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Cheers, I only knew of them from the Joplin era, had no idea they were still around.

They were on the GB lineup a few years back (probably quite a few) but were either late on or didn't turn up. I waited but then had another group to see. I think they are down to two original members. Mind you, at the cancelled Staten Island gig they would have been supporting the Yardbirds who I believe are down to one!

On 8/12/2022 at 4:27 PM, briddj said:

White Lies are (comparatively) pretty big in Europe, and can tour there extensively. Not sure there's very many bands of that era that could do anything remotely like this (and certainly not post-Brexit).

They still sell out in Manchester, Glasgow and London over here. This is the length of their European tour earlier this year. (poster point is first week of tour)

image.png.ef2ffc6692eb762f08efa0e45cbb8073.png

Interesting. Must've passed me by tbf that they were not just still around but big enough to go on such an extensive tour of the mainland.

I saw Michael Kiwanuka last week in Edinburgh as part of the festival Summer Sessions gigs. Absolutely superb gig and great sound in the Princes Street Gardens. Also, due to the incredibly tame and middle class crowd, there was next to no chatting, moving about or mobile phone camera interference in the gig. Most everyone just watched the concert. Brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been reading the main forums for ages - didn't know this place existed.

Found it from an Abba search (here).

Fuck me that show is incredible. I've worked for some stages at Glastonbury that have had some serious kit... I won't go so far to say the Abba setup beats Arcadia, but aside from that bad comparison... jaw dropping.

I took an Italian mate... she knew the tunes, but not a big fan... her face (and mine). "It's real". Had to keep reminding myself it wasn't. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at Bright Eyes last night at the Glasgow Barrowlands, I’ve Seen Connor the last few times he’s played but haven’t seen Bright Eyes since they played Glastonbury in 2011.

it was the last night of their tour and I must admit it’s the best I’ve ever seen him, the band were sensational and the set list was perfect. Cracking night!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blue6field said:

Was at Bright Eyes last night at the Glasgow Barrowlands, I’ve Seen Connor the last few times he’s played but haven’t seen Bright Eyes since they played Glastonbury in 2011.

it was the last night of their tour and I must admit it’s the best I’ve ever seen him, the band were sensational and the set list was perfect. Cracking night!

Saw them in Dublin last week and same. Never seen Conor enjoy himself so much on stage! They were fantastic.

On 8/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, paulo999 said:

Have been reading the main forums for ages - didn't know this place existed.

Found it from an Abba search (here).

Fuck me that show is incredible. I've worked for some stages at Glastonbury that have had some serious kit... I won't go so far to say the Abba setup beats Arcadia, but aside from that bad comparison... jaw dropping.

I took an Italian mate... she knew the tunes, but not a big fan... her face (and mine). "It's real". Had to keep reminding myself it wasn't. Amazing.

I went at the weekend and it was off the dial.  Taps aff for the ABBA-tars.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 9:57 AM, paulo999 said:

It's the eyes that give it all away. Really are the windows to the soul.

My wife turned to me and said that Agnetha looked like either layers would shoot from them, or she would walk off stage and start ripping heads off in the audience. Kept me on my toes

Went to See Robyn Hitchcock last night.

Support was Jessica Lee Morgan, daughter of Tony Visconti and Mary Hopkins. Not my cup of tea at all.

I haven't seen Robyn in some years now, seen him probably the most out of any artist. Was wonderful to be back inside his world again. Great set. Took my brother who hadn't see him , and was waxing lyrical about it after. Robyns Sister was doing Merch as she lives local and had a great chat with her and she kindly got a load of vinyl I took signed by Robyn.  Happy days

Odd thing. Was seated event. The 2 people infront and bloke to my side did nothing during the gig, no head bopping,  foot tapping and didn't even clap after any of the of the songs or at the end. 2 in front were on the front row, Never seen that

20220915_210940.jpg

8 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Went to See Robyn Hitchcock last night.

Support was Jessica Lee Morgan, daughter of Tony Visconti and Mary Hopkins. Not my cup of tea at all.

I haven't seen Robyn in some years now, seen him probably the most out of any artist. Was wonderful to be back inside his world again. Great set. Took my brother who hadn't see him , and was waxing lyrical about it after. Robyns Sister was doing Merch as she lives local and had a great chat with her and she kindly got a load of vinyl I took signed by Robyn.  Happy days

Odd thing. Was seated event. The 2 people infront and bloke to my side did nothing during the gig, no head bopping,  foot tapping and didn't even clap after any of the of the songs or at the end. 2 in front were on the front row, Never seen that

20220915_210940.jpg

Wonder if it had anything to do with this?? 

45A29FEA-6A93-45FF-9639-90BF6A27FA62.png

15 hours ago, sedra said:

Saw Agnes Obel at Guildhall, Southampton on Thursday- only 2 1/2 years after we were meant to go! Was lovely chilled evening 

6ECE8D52-7A80-4B74-8FE8-0FB56495E4E5.jpeg

F60DC215-C11E-4825-A858-832B5F3AAEC9.jpeg

I wanted to go to that but couldn't make it.

Went to a couple of other gigs in Southampton this week. L'objectif and Play Dead on Wednesday which was alright. Quite enjoyed Play Dead who seem to be filling a void left by the demise of Slaves.

On Friday I saw the incredible Just Mustard and White Flowers. I really do think that JM are one of the best bands around at the moment. 

Saw The Big Moon in Brighton last night, really good set. Support acts were CLT DRP (wall of noise electro-punk apparently!) and Gently Tender (members of Palma Violets and Big Moon). All good stuff.

Big Moon were fantastic.  They've been waiting to tour their last album since 2020 and they've got more new material since then.  Clearly just really happy to be on stage, and sounding great. Their harmonies work so well live. 2 dates into their tour, recommend catching them if heading your way.

On 9/21/2022 at 9:14 AM, Quark said:

Saw The Big Moon in Brighton last night, really good set. Support acts were CLT DRP (wall of noise electro-punk apparently!) and Gently Tender (members of Palma Violets and Big Moon). All good stuff.

Big Moon were fantastic.  They've been waiting to tour their last album since 2020 and they've got more new material since then.  Clearly just really happy to be on stage, and sounding great. Their harmonies work so well live. 2 dates into their tour, recommend catching them if heading your way.

They are heading my way on Sunday and I have had tickets since pre-pandemic so looking forward to it and glad to hear your good review! 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

They are heading my way on Sunday and I have had tickets since pre-pandemic so looking forward to it and glad to hear your good review! 

Hopefully they'll have their kit back by then, FedEx have lost a load of their stuff in transit from Barcelona. Missing pedals, flutes, a trumpet and a few other bits